Chapter 8: Planning Surprises

Shadow

Kyungsoo’s POV 

            The teacher puts my marked science test onto my table face down. I immediately grab it and flip it over. My eyes widen as I see the mark.

            “Nine….ty two?” I rub my eyes to make sure I’m not hallucinating, but the mark on the paper stays the same. “I got a ninety two?” My confusion fades and the happiness takes its place. “I got a ninety two!”

            I shake the person sitting next to me like crazy. “Suho hyung! Suho hyung, look! I got a ninety two!”

            Suho’s original happiness for me diminishes as a worried look takes over his face. “Kyungsoo-ah, are you okay?”

            “I’m better than okay!” I almost yell, still grinning. I can understand his concern though, I’m usually calm and collected and the way I’m acting right now is the exact opposite of those character traits.

            “Whoa, whoa, what’s causing the ruckus here?” Sehun says, turning around in his seat in front of me.

            “Look what I got!” I say, waving the test paper in front of his face like an excited child showing a parent a drawing done in art class.

            “Are you kidding me?” Sehun says, grabbing the test paper. “I wasted all that time teaching a person who was supposedly failing science, only to have him get a ninety-two when he studies by himself?”

            “Well, technically, I didn’t study by myself yesterday, and you did help me the past few times.” I say, ruffling the pouting maknae’s hair. I smile at the ground where my shadow is. “It’s just that I found a really good teacher yesterday.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

            “Krystal, well, you already know this, but I got a ninety-two on my science test!” I tell her happily.

            “Mhm, good for you,” she says, but there is something distant in her voice.

            “Is something wrong?” I ask her, my eyebrows furrowing.

            “Hm? No, no. Nothing’s wrong,” she says. “I’m happy for you.” I have a feeling that behind the dark silhouette, she is trying to smile right now, but failing miserably.

            “Krystal,” I call, she turns to face me. “I don’t believe nothing’s wrong,” I say.

            She sighs and hesitates before giving me a vague response. “Well, it’s just that on a certain date next week something happened ten years ago….”

            I think hard. What’s special about next week?

            And then it hits me. Krystal’s accident. How could I have been so insensitive to not think of it before? I usually feel really sad around this time too, but for some reason, this time around, I don’t feel the pang in my chest I usually get around this time of year.

            But for Krystal’s shadow, it must be very hard for her. I remember the heartbreaking tone in her voice when she explained to me for the first time how she came to be my shadow. I can’t imagine being a shadow and losing my owner, it must feel like losing a part of yourself.     

            I hug her and say, “I’m sorry for not realizing earlier. It must be really difficult for you.”

            Krystal turns to me and her voice is gentle when she speaks. “Not like it’s any easier for you. I’ve seen you in the past years.”

            I wonder if what she’s feeling right now is anything close to what I used to feel. And I have a feeling it is, if not stronger. I suddenly have the strong urge to cheer her up and make her feel better. But how exactly am I going to do that?

            Suddenly, a light bulb flashes on in my mind. I can’t plan it in the daytime when she’s my shadow because she’ll see everything I’m planning, which leaves only the evening time to plan it. I may as well start now.

            I tell Krystal I’m going downstairs to get water and she just nods. I feel bad for leaving her alone at a time like this, even if it’s just for a while, but hopefully the surprise will make up for all of it.

            As soon as I’m downstairs, I whip out my phone from my pocket and text Kai.

            Do you still know that guy who sells everything in his warehouse?

            I hear a bleep a second later and sure enough, it’s a reply.

            Yea, why?

            I need one of those snow dispensers and a projector.

            There’s a pause before Kai replies again.

            Why on earth would you need those?

            Reasons. Just get them to me by next week, will you?

            Psh. I’m not your slave.

            I’ll buy you chicken if you do.

            ……Fine. You better keep your word, Kyungsoo. 

 

Ohhhhh what does Kyungsoo have planned? You will find out next time. Anyways, thanks so much for reading and please subscribe, comment and upvote. :D I would really appreciate it.