Chapter 14: Finding a Gift

Shadow

Kyungsoo's POV 

I get back to my house with a big smile on my face, carrying a rectangular box wrapped in silver wrapping paper. I am about to open the front door but I notice that there's a yellow sticky note pasted on it. Once I read it, my smile instantly fades. 

Dear Kyungsoo, it reads. 

 By the time you read this, I'll probably be long gone. You should know that I really did love you once, but I had to stop. Why? Because you weren't willing to keep the only promise you needed to keep. To simply stay by my side. I was content with that. I didn't ask you to love me back. I never pressured you to give me anything else other than your support. Because that's what best friends do, right? Support each other. But obviously to you, I wasn't even worth that. With me gone from your life, I hope that the both of us will just stop hurting. Or maybe, I'm the only one who has been hurting this entire time. 

I wish you all the best, 

Krystal .

I shake my head, hoping that this is just some practical joke. My hands shake as I fumble with the house keys, unlocking the door. I rush into the house immediately, checking every room on the first floor for any sign of Krystal, any sign at all, but I find none. 

I bound up the steps, checking the rooms upstairs too, searching every single space she could possibly be hiding in. I wait for her to just spring out of a closet and scare the daylights out of me, or to be chuckling somewhere behind a curtain at my worried state. But she doesn't appear even after an hour of searching, and that's when I slide down to the floor, still clutching the silver wrapped present, the useless confession at the tip of my tongue, while I whisper the same words over and over again. 

"I'm sorry, Krystal. I'm sorry." 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

"Yah! Kyungsoo! Wake up! It's our stop next," a voice yells into my ear. 

I sit up with a jolt, startled by the shout. I look around frantically with my eyes widened. I see deep blue bus seats and people holding on to poles while standing as I feel the bus jolt down the road. 

So it was just a dream, I think, heaving a sigh of relief. I should've known that it was too dramatic to be true. Then again, what hasn't been dramatic these past few weeks? 

"Are you okay? You look like you're having a heart attack," a girl's voice says. I turn towards the sound of the voice and I find myself slightly dissapointed that it's Luna, not Krystal. Of course it would be Luna, I tell myself. Why would Krystal be on the bus? But still, I need some sort of confirmation that Krystal is safe and sound at home. 

"We need to get back home," I say and Luna just looks at me like I'm crazy. "I'm worried about Krystal," I explain. 

"Well, we can't just return empty handed. You need to go back with something." Luna says and I feel my heart drop. Every tiny ounce of courage I had mustered for the confession had been whisked away with the nightmare. 

"Don't tell me you're not going to proceed as planned," Luna says, as if she can read my mind. I smile sheepishly and she gives me a stern look. "I won't take going back as an option, Kyungsoo," she says as the bus screeches to a halt and the doors slide open, revealing our stop. She grabs me by the ear and drags me off the bus and onto the sidewalk, smiling and thanking the driver as we go out. 

"Ow! Ow! Luna, quit it!" I say. She finally lets go and I rub my stinging ear. Her grip is hard. 

"Now, might as well make use of our time and actually get something. I didn't come here for nothing," she says, turning on her heels and walking down the street lined with shops. I take a few wide strides to catch up with her as we look through the windows of the stores, trying to find anything worth buying. 

"Ooohhh, how about that?" Luna says, pointing at a heart shaped box filled with candy apples. I shake my head. 

"She's allergic to apple," I say. Luna lets out a disappointed sigh. "Well, let's keep looking then." 

We walk past aisles and aisles of shops, all filled with sparkly trinkets and chocolates and stuffed animals. Luna tries to point out several items I could buy, but I simply shake my head, not finding them special enough. 

"Well, I'm about to give up," Luna says as we stare through the window of yet another store. "What are you looking for exactly?" 

I'm about to shrug but something in the shop catches my eye. My eyes twinkle as I enter the shop, taking the item of the wooden shelf. It's a snow globe with an angel standing right in the middle. Snow angels are the first things that come to my mind. I smile as I remember Krystal asking me to make them with her. 

"Twist the globe," a voice says, startling me. I turn back, finding a middle-aged lady with a warm smile. I'm guessing that she's the shopkeeper. I turn back to the globe, curious. I twist the top and a melody starts playing. I instantly recognize it. Goodbye Summer, our song. Others might find the song and the snow globe a rather odd combination, but for me, it's perfect. 

"It's a sad song," Luna says, looking at me. "You're using this for your confession? Gotta hand it to you, not many people do that."

"Not many people try to make it snow in the summer either," I say, smiling. 

 

Hello my dear readers! Sorry the update took a while :P but I hope you guys liked it! :) Don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote! And thanks for reading!