Chapter 4: Mission Compromised

Shadow

Kyungsoo’s POV 

Suho, Chanyeol, Sehun, Baekhyun, Kai, Luhan, Lay, Chen, Tao, Kris, Xiumin, and me all gather around my TV screen. Flu season is over, Kris has returned from his vacation and Kai is back from his field trip. It’s good to see them all again.

“No, don’t go in there, don’t go in there,” Sehun mumbles under his breath. A scream emits from the screen and Baekhyun and Luhan cover their eyes with pillows while Tao screams with the character in the horror movie.

“I’ve never liked these movies, even when I was little, I never liked them,” Kris says.

Baekhyun pokes me and I turn to look at him.

“Uh…sorry D.O., I think I drooled on your pillowcase….”

I would have rolled my eyes if not for another scream emitted from the TV. “It’s okay,” I reply Baekhyun. “Just wash it and bring it back after.”

As the movie progresses, I start to feel the need for something to chew on. I poke Luhan, who is completely immersed in watching the movie.

Luhan snaps out of staring at the screen and he turns to me. “Yea?”

“Do you want to come with me to make popcorn?”

Luhan shakes his head. “No way, I want to see what happens next.”

At that moment, another one of those screams resound around the room. Luhan widens his eyes in terror.

“Okay, on second thought, I’ll come with you,” he says, nearly scurrying out of the TV room.

He follows me to the kitchen and I check the cabinets for the popcorn. But after I double check, and triple check, I realize we don’t have any.

“Sorry, Luhan, looks like we’ll have to settle for chips,” I say.

“Okay,” he says. “Where do you store the chips?”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“I knew it was a bad idea to come with you to get food,” Luhan says as he trails behind me into the pitch-black basement. “Why do you store your chips here anyways?”

I flick on the switch and the basement is lit by a single eerily dim light bulb. “Because the pantry room is here,” I reply.

Luhan looks around the creepy basement. “Okay, I’m going back upstairs,” he says.

“No, you aren’t,” I say, grabbing his shoulder and pulling him back from going up the stairs. “If you do, I’ll switch off the lights and you’ll be left to your way in the dark.”

Luhan shudders. “Fine,” he says, defeated. “But you better get those chips quick.”

I enter the pantry room at the far end of the basement and start digging through the shelves for chips.

“Aha! Found them,” I say as I drag out a bag of potato chips. I’m about to leave the pantry room when I have an idea. I rub my hands in glee and hide behind a cabinet, shutting the pantry room lights.

After a few more minutes, I hear Luhan’s voice say “D.O.? D.O.? You there?”

I silently chuckle and try to stay as still as I can.

Luhan makes his way to the pantry room. “Why are the lights off? D.O.? Where are you?” I hear his voice tremble at the last word.

When he stands in front of the cabinet I’m hiding behind, I suddenly reach out and grab his knee, causing him to jump and scream.

I laugh so hard that I start rolling on the floor, literally.

“You’re so mean,” Luhan says, punching my arm. “I’m leaving.”

“Wai-,” I burst out in another round of laughter. “Wait up, Luhan.”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Shadow’s POV 

Kai, Suho, Chanyeol, Sehun, Baekhyun, Xiumin, Lay, Luhan, Kris, Chen and Tao left a while ago. Kyungsoo was fine when they were here but as soon as they left the house, he started shaking. I knew it was a bad idea to watch a horror movie. It always is.

I hear him mumbling under his breath. “There’s nothing here, Kyungsoo. There’s nothing to be scared of.”

Kyungsoo’s parents are not in the house at this hour, so he’s home alone. I wish I could pat his shoulder and tell him that I’m here so he has nothing to be afraid of. 

Kyungsoo paces around his room a few more times before he says, “Maybe I should just go downstairs and get a drink of water, to calm myself down. Yea, that’s a good idea.”

As he steps out of his room, I step to follow him but for some reason, I’m glued to my spot. I furrow my brows, confused. I look at my silhouette outlined on the wall and I get the shock of my life. It’s not a silhouette of Kyungsoo, but a silhouette of a girl. Krystal’s silhouette.

I start panicking and try to calm myself down. Just shift yourself back, Krystal. I tell myself. Just shift yourself back to his shadow.

I do and for one split second, it works, but once that second passes, I’m back to Krystal’s silhouette.

How could this happen? I ask. But I realize that the real question I should be asking is “How did this not happen earlier?” This had never been meant to be. I was created to be Krystal’s shadow and Krystal’s shadow only. There was bound to be a time when this illusion of me being Kyungsoo’s shadow would snap and I would return to my original form. I should’ve realized that earlier.

I hear a scream come from Kyungsoo and I rush down the stairs.

“WHERE DID MY SHADOW GO!?”

Oh no, I rush back up the stairs but it’s too late. Kyungsoo’s already spotted me. He opens his mouth and he appears to want to say something, but it only comes out in stutters. “Wha-who-how-”

My mission as Kyungsoo’s shadow was going so well, and now it’s been compromised.

Oh, darn it. 

 

Hello, my dear readers! :D Hope you enjoyed this chapter. I rewatched the second part of Exo Showtime Ep. 10 (the part where they go into the Haunted house) to write the part where D.O. scares Luhan. If you haven't watched that, D.O. ditches Luhan halfway and then goes back in to scare him. Poor Luhan.      

 

         

Ahhhh, friendship. :) But the plot has picked up. Thank you so much if you've subscribed, commented, or upvoted. It means a lot to me :) And if you haven't, could you please do that, pretty please?