Chapter 19: Walking to School

Shadow

Shadow's POV 

            As Kyungsoo walks to school, the only sounds that can be heard are the soft rustle of boots stepping on dried leaves and the crunch of twigs snapping. I watch him as he tightens his jacket around himself, bracing himself from the cold wind. He looks back at me in concern, worry filling his eyes. I want to smile back reassuringly and tell him that I don’t feel cold, but I can’t because it’s daytime, when I’m still his shadow.

            I look back up at the sunlight streaming in through the leaves that were once chartreuse green, but are now bright red. Summer’s at its very end now and autumn is here. I think of Goodbye Summer and hum it in my head, wishing that I could actually turn the melody into a sound.

Narrator’s POV 

            Krystal’s eyes shoot open as her alarm clock goes off. She looks at the time and gasps. “Oh no, I’m late for school,” she mumbles before kicking her covers off and jumping out of bed.

            She is in the middle of multitasking between brushing her teeth and putting on a sweater when she hears Amber’s knocks from outside her bedroom door.

            “I’ll be out in a second!” she says, the words getting mumbled because of the toothbrush stuck in .

            Once she bursts out the door, she grabs Amber’s hand. “Come on! We’re gonna be late!” But Amber doesn’t move from her spot.

            Krystal tugs on it once again, a little less patient. “What are you waiting for?”

            Amber smiles knowingly. “We’re not late for anything, Krystal. We haven’t enrolled in any schools here yet.”

            “What do you mean by here?”

            “We’re in Seoul, remember?”

            Krystal’s eyes widen slightly in realization and her grip on Amber’s hand loosens. The only thing she can think to say is, “Oh.”

            Amber laughs. “Come down so we can make breakfast.” She pats Krystal’s shoulder. “After you put your sweater on the right way.”

            Krystal quickly glances down at her sweater only to find out that she’s mixed up the front and back. She sighs as she switches it around and heads down the stairs to eat, wondering why she never noticed the absence of a school uniform in her closet.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

            As Krystal goes about the kitchen making breakfast, she hums a tune that made an appearance in one of her dreams. The name of it was Goodbye Summer, if she recalled correctly. At the same time, she tries to figure out who the owner of the heart shaped smile she saw in her dream a few days ago is. The smile seems so familiar, but every time she tries to specify where it comes from, a migraine comes over her, the pain overpowering her will to think.

            After about the 3rd time that Krystal abruptly stops singing and grits her teeth in pain from the migraine, Amber pipes up. “Uh…Krystal? You sure you’re okay? I can just cook the bacon, you know.”

            Krystal waves her hands frantically. “No, no, it’s fine. I can do it.” The last time Amber tried to cook, the kitchen ended up being filled with smoke. Krystal wasn’t going to take the chance again.

            “All right, but don’t faint or anything,” Amber says.

            “I won’t, I won’t.” Krystal reassures her, while she grabs the frying pan with steady hands, trying to prove to Amber that she’s fine while keeping her thoughts at bay so she doesn’t end up dropping it.

            However, she ends up letting it fall from her hands anyway, but not because she is thinking about the dream. This time, it is because she sees her shadow move from the corner of her eye.

            Amber rushes over to help Krystal pick up the frying pan and she turns off the stove. “Maybe we should just eat outside,” Amber says and Krystal nods numbly, wondering if she is losing her eyesight or her sanity, or both.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

           “Amber, you sure you know where you’re going?” Krystal asks, looking around at their surroundings. She glances quickly into a shop selling teapots and cutlery, but she doesn’t see a single restaurant or food stall in sight.

           “Yes, don’t worry. Stop doubting me,” Amber says. But even so, she turns her phone to look at it from another angle, wondering about the reliability of the GPS.

           Krystal sighs and Amber says, “I heard that,” while still keeping her eye on her phone.

           After about 10 more minutes of walking, Krystal stops and turns to Amber. “Amber, should we pass by a school on the way to the eating place?”

           “No,” Amber answers, looking up at Krystal quizzically. “Why?”

           “Because we’re in front of one right now,” Krystal replies.

            Amber turns to look in the same direction as Krystal and she sees the gates of the school, students in yellow uniform walking into it.

           “All right, come on, let’s head back and try to find another way,” Krystal says. She starts back down the road, expecting Amber to follow, but Amber doesn’t. Instead, her eyes catch onto someone else.

          “Sehun! Luna!” Amber shouts, waving at them with her hand high up in the air.

           Both people turn around in surprise at their names being called and immediately break into smiles when they catch sight of the short-haired girl.

          “Amber!” Luna exclaims, running over to the girl and Sehun follows. “What are you doing here?” Sehun asks Amber curiously.

          “Why? You don’t want me to be here?” Amber says, feigning shock.

          “No, no, that’s not what I meant,” Sehun waves his arms in a criss-cross motion in front of him, trying to defend his point.

          Amber laughs. “I was just joking. Don’t take it too seriously, Sehun.”

          “And to answer your question, I was just trying to find a place to eat with my friend - Oh wait, where did she go?” Amber glances around, looking for Krystal who is nowhere in sight.

          At the same time, Krystal seems to notice Amber’s absence and she turns back towards the school and calls for her. “Amber! Where are you?”

          “Oh! That’s her.” Amber says, hearing Krystal’s voice. “I guess I’ll see you later.” She smiles at Sehun and Luna and waves goodbye, not noticing how Sehun’s eyes had rounded when he heard Krystal’s voice.

            Sehun’s muscles are tensed as he asks Luna. “Did you hear that?”

            “Hear what?” Luna asks him, perplexed because she hadn’t heard Krystal’s call for Amber.

            “For a second…I thought…” Sehun shakes his head. “It’s okay, it’s probably nothing.”

            “Okay…” Luna says, still eyeing Sehun incredulously. She knows that when Sehun says “It’s nothing”, there is usually something, but she doesn’t push the matter further.

            “Come on, let’s go to class,” Luna says, turning towards the direction of the front door. She stares back at Sehun. “You coming?”

            Sehun breaks out of his train of thought. “Huh? Oh yea, yea. I’m coming.” As they walk down the pathway, Sehun turns back to the direction Amber went a few minutes ago. There is no sign of Kyungsoo, but Sehun could’ve sworn that just a minute ago, he had heard Krystal’s shadow’s voice. 

 

Hello my faithful readers! Thank you so much for staying with this story even though it takes me longer to update now. School's really busy and I'm pretty sure most of you can relate too. Anyways, I hope you guys liked this chapter and weren't dissapointed with it . THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU ALL!