Chapter 9: Snow in Summer

Shadow

Kyungsoo’s POV 

            “Pst, Kai,” I say, knocking on his bedroom window on the ground floor. It’s evening and I only have a limited time frame before Krystal starts getting suspicious of why I’m out for so long.

            He opens the window with half opened eyes and bed hair. I’m guessing he just woke up from a nap.

            “Do you have the stuff?” I ask him.

            “Depends,” he says, crossing his arms over his chest. “Do you have the chicken?”

            I roll my eyes and hand a bag of takeout over to him. His facial expression immediately brightens and he opens the box just to make sure I didn’t put a rock in there or something.

            He nods when he confirms that the content of the box is actually chicken and gestures for me to stand at his front door to wait. I stand patiently outside the door while I hear a lot of shuffling and heaving going on inside his room from his open window.

            When he finally opens the front door, I see him wheeling out two large boxes on a dolly cart. “The projector and the snow dispenser?” I ask him, just to confirm.

            He scoffs and says, “No, the blender and the microwave.”

            I give him a glare to tell him that I do not appreciate his sarcasm. Kai’s never been the nicest person when he wakes up from a nap.

            “You better not be rude to me or I’ll take the chicken back,” I threaten.

            His eyes immediately widen and I chuckle. “Just joking. Bye Kai, thanks for the stuff,” I tell him. He nods to acknowledge my farewell and says a simple “bye” before slamming the door shut in my face again.

            Maybe I should’ve taken that chicken from him.

Shadow’s POV 

            As I follow Kyungsoo around today, my footsteps feel a lot heavier than usual. Today’s the 10th anniversary of Krystal’s passing. Even though it’s been so long, I still miss her. Losing her was like losing a part of myself. Losing something that I can never get back.

            As Kyungsoo opens the door to his house, I repeat his movements and move my feet to follow him inside. I don’t notice that I have changed back into Krystal’s form until he glances back at me.

            I blink twice to clear my thoughts and notice that we are standing outside the door to the guest bedroom. Even though he can’t see the confusion on my face, I furrow my brows.

            There are no guests coming to his house anytime soon. “What are we doing here?” I ask him. In response, he opens the door to the room and my eyes instantly widen.

            “Surprise,” he says softly.

            I walk slowly into the room, leaving a trail of white footprints behind me.  Bits of snow glisten as they fall to the ground, adding on to the hills of snow already piling up. My eyes widen in amazement and I search for the source of the spectacle in front of me. I spot a snow dispenser at the corner of the room, sputtering out snow that seems to have no end. The scene in front of me reminds me of what a snow globe looks like after it has been shaken, leaving the beautiful glittering snowflakes to fall to the bottom of the globe once again.  

            I look around the room and notice that there’s a projector. I look towards where the beam of light is directed and look up. As soon as I do that, my jaw drops. Right above me is the night sky, decorated with what I’ve been dreaming to see my entire life. The Northern Lights. Its beautiful banner of pink, purple and blue puts me in a trance. The cloth that it is projected on moves in waves, as if the wind is blowing it, making the colourful lights look even more realistic.

            I turn around and at the door stands the person behind the making of the scene in front of me. Do Kyungsoo. The things this boy does never cease to amaze me. I want to thank him and tell him how amazing this whole thing is and ask him how he managed to surprise me when I was following him all the time as his shadow but I can’t seem to find the words. Instead, all I can manage to do is look up at the ceiling and say, “You still remember that?”

            He looks up to where I’m gazing and sees the Northern Lights. He smirks a little and says, “You mean do I remember the time when you stared at that picture of the Northern Lights for a good 5 minutes? Yes, I do.” He looks back at me and the smirk is gone, replaced with a shy smile. “Do you like it?” 

            I look around at my surroundings, at the snow hills and the waving banner of light above me. How could I not love it? But I decide to a little and tell him, “Well, I guess so, but the snow comes out in chunks too large to actually look real. And look at the projection, it’s kinda blurry, don’t you think?”

            At that instant, he looks so disappointed that I immediately feel sorry for making him believe the words even for just a second.

            “I’m sorry, I’m just kidding, I love it,” I say, going to hug him but the glint in his eyes makes me backtrack.

            “Uh-oh,” I say, as he bends down quickly to make a snowball. It was a bad idea to joke with him about this. He’s about to throw it at me but it crumbles in his hand because the snow doesn’t stick together enough. My worry turns to laughter as he stares at the spot in his hand where the snowball used to be.

            Suddenly he lunges toward me and I let out an involuntary shriek. I cover my mouth with my hand, but I don’t have time to dwell on my embarrassment because he is already chasing me around the room, just like old times. And just like in the old days, I’m still faster than him.

            “You won’t get away with this, Krystal!” he says, pretending to be angry, but his smile gives him away.

            “Who says I can’t?” I say, laughing. But just at that moment, my foot slips on the snow. I brace myself for the cold impact against the ground but it never comes. I look up to see Kyungsoo holding me by my arms, stopping me from hitting the floor.

            “Are you okay?” he asks, all the playfulness gone and genuine concern etched across his face.

            “Yea, thanks. I’m fine. See?” I spin around slowly once with my arms stretched to the sides to show him that I’m not hurt anywhere.

            He nods but I can tell he’s still worried about me. Kyungsoo’s always been protective. It’s one of the qualities that I love about him. I pull his cheeks up into a smile. “Stop being so worried. I really am fine.”

            He nods slowly and says, “Okay, but you have to tell me if you ever get hurt. Arasseo?”

            I smile. “Arasseo. If I ever get hurt or if I ever need anything, I’ll just shout…um…milk!” I say the first thing that comes to mind.

            Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow. “Milk? Really? You couldn’t think of anything better?”

            “Hey! I tried, okay?” I say.

            Kyungsoo chuckles and I only notice now that he is wearing a winter coat. I suddenly shiver, aware of the freezing temperature in the room. Kyungsoo notices and immediately goes to retrieve a coat from the closet in the room.

            “Sorry, I turned down the temperature by a lot so the snow wouldn’t melt,” he says. “You should’ve said ‘milk’.”

            “Mianhae, I will next time,” I assure him. I glance down at the snow at my feet and decide to test out the word. “Milk!” I say.

            Kyungsoo’s eyes immediately widen and he looks at me with worry. “What? What’s wrong?”

            “I need you to make snow angels with me.”

            Kyungsoo looks annoyed but I just find it incredibly amusing. “I meant use the word properly,” he says.

            “I did,” I insist. “Seriously, make snow angels with me,” I say.

            Kyungsoo sighs, acting annoyed but I see his lips twitch up a bit. I lie on the ground and move my arms and legs back and forth, and Kyungsoo does the same. While making my snow angel, I stare up at the Northern Lights and my thoughts start to drift.

           “Kyungsoo,” I say, calling him. “Hm?” he turns his face to see me. “Do you think Krystal’s up there?” I say, pointing up at the projection of the night sky.

           “Or she could be right here, on Earth,” he says. I look at him with furrowed eyebrows, confused at what he just said. He proceeds to explain further, pointing at the snow angel I just made. “See? That’s Krystal the angel. I’m sure she’s an angel. And I bet she’s happier in heaven than she could be anywhere else,” he says.

           I nod and smile at his words. “I just miss her, that’s all,” I say, feeling a lone tear slipping down my cheek. I feel a finger brushing the tear off and I look at Kyungsoo, surprised. I don’t know how he knew I was crying, but he did. His eyes look pained as he looks at me. “You did this to cheer me up, didn’t you?” I ask, referring to this whole thing. He smiles and nods at me.

          “Thank you, I really appreciate it,” I say. I pause for a second before saying my next sentence. “Could you promise me one thing?” I ask him.

          “Sure,” he says. I’m surprised by the lack of hesitation in his voice.

          “Just like how I’m your shadow and I never leave your side, could you promise to always stay with me, no matter what happens?”

          Kyungsoo looks at me and there is a depth to his eyes as he smiles. “Krystal, I’m not going anywhere.”

          I smile at him, and even though he can’t see it, I think he knows that I did it. “Thank you,” I say. “Thank you so much for everything.” And I mean every word. 

 

Hello my dear readers! :) Yayyyy hoped you liked Kyungsoo's surprise and don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote! THANK YOU! :D