Chapter 20: Last Dream

Shadow

Shadow’s POV 

            Kyungsoo and I sit lazily against the huge tree in his backyard, staring up at the twinkling stars in the sky. It’s been a long time since I did this, to just take the time to enjoy the little things in life.

            Neither Kyungsoo nor I say anything, yet our silence is not an awkward one, but rather one that reflects on how comfortable we are around each other and one that shows how we can enjoy each other’s company without even saying a single word.

            I close my eyes as I take in the peace and quiet when I hear a soft “Soojung-ah”. I turn to Kyungsoo, opening my eyes, and I almost pull back when I see a charm bracelet dangling right in front of my face. Kyungsoo gestures for me to take it and I do, gently turning it over in my palm so I can see the charms better.

            Kyungsoo leans in to see the bracelet better too, as he explains each charm. He pulls softly on the first one, a white angel with a gold halo. “Snow angels,” he says, and with those two words, he is able to catapult me back to the time he made it snow in the summer, just to cheer me up. I smile and hold the second charm up, a silver music note. “The music box,” I say, and I find myself quietly laughing as I remember his nervous confession on the voice recording. I turn and I see Kyungsoo grinning too. I look at the last one, a shooting star, and I hold it up against the night sky. “Looks like we get another wish,” I say and Kyungsoo smiles as he says, “Looks like we do.”

“Are you going to change your wish?” I ask Kyungsoo and he shakes his head.

            “There’s nothing to change,” he says as he smiles and intertwines his hand with mine. “I wished that I could stay by your side, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Narrator’s POV 

            On human Krystal’s side, Kyungsoo’s shadow sighs as he watches Krystal eat her dinner. Even though he isn’t supposed to feel this, he wants to stay by her, for a long, long time.

            Unfortunately, he can’t. He can’t be her shadow for much longer. He knows it and he feels it. It’s time to go back to being Kyungsoo’s real shadow.

            It’s time for things to go back to the way they were before.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

            Sehun buries his face deeper into his scarf as he continues on his stroll. He always finds it easier to think when he is outside, and right now, he needs to think.

            Who was Amber’s friend? Why was her voice so similar to Krystal’s shadow’s? Was I just hallucinating? After all, Luna didn’t hear it. These thoughts whirl in Oh Sehun’s head as he sighs in frustration and runs a hand through his hair.

            Just then, he hears an all too familiar voice. He whips around to see a girl talking on her phone. She has long dark hair and wide almond shaped eyes. Sehun has to admit that she is pretty, but that is not what catches his attention. It’s what she says that catches his attention.

Sehun hears her talk into her phone as she walks past him, “Yea, I won’t forget, Amber. Thanks for reminding me anyways.”

            The voice. It’s the same one he had just been pondering about. She is just about a few feet away from him and he walks up to her, but just as he’s about to tap her shoulder, she breaks off into a run.

            As Sehun runs after her, he yells “Excuse me, miss!” But she doesn’t stop. She’s a fast runner, Sehun thinks, struggling to catch up with her. He never manages to as she spots her destination in front of her and runs even faster. The last bus. She hops onto it just before it drives off and Sehun is left to stop in his tracks, panting as he watches the most important piece of his mystery get farther away.

Shadow’s POV 

            Something is wrong. I can feel it. I’m fading in and out like a flickering hologram, and this is definitely not normal. I look to my right where Kyungsoo is sleeping peacefully against the tree trunk. I don’t want to wake him, but there is something in the back of my mind that tells me that my situation is urgent, and so I reach out my hand to tap his shoulder.

            But my hand just goes right through, just like how it used to.

            I feel panic rise in my stomach as my eyes widen. The panic just increases as I feel myself slipping away, and I try to clench my fists, try to stay right where I am, right where I want to be, but it’s no use. It feels like an invisible force is dragging me to who knows where, taking me prisoner.

            I feel like yelling but no sound comes from my throat. As I get farther, I catch a last glimpse of Kyungsoo, still unaware, still peaceful.

My heart breaks as I watch hopelessly while the silver charm bracelet he gave me slips from my wrist and lands on the grass, moonlight glinting off its shiny surface.

Narrator’s POV 

            Krystal is dreaming again. She smiles in her sleep as she dreams of star gazing, a silver bracelet, and of course, the boy with the heart shaped smile. However, her smile soon fades away as a feeling hits her. The feeling she hates the most. The feeling of leaving without saying goodbye.

            A warm tear slides down her cheek as the dream continues. Little does she know, this is the last dream she will ever have of shadows.

            This is the last dream she will ever have of the sweet smile she has grown to love. 

 

 I'm sorry for making this happen! *runs and hides* Don't hate me! I hope all of you still have faith in this story because this isn't the end, so please stay with me.