Chapter 2: A Familiar Face

Shadow

Kyungsoo bounces his leg up and down impatiently as he waits in the school office. He is sitting as far away as he can from a boy who has a bruised jaw. They are trying not to glare at each other for the sake of not getting into even more trouble, but it’s not working.  Anyone could sense the hatred between the two of them. I replay the scene again, wondering how it could have come to this.

It all started early in the morning. Kyungsoo had walked past the school gates just like every other day, but suddenly he had froze. I looked towards where his gaze was and it was directed at a tall boy with blond streaks in his dark hair.

Damon. The name registered. The heartless boy who seemed to feed on people’s sorrow and suffering. He had been bringing up the Krystal incident for years now just to see Kyungsoo’s reaction, even right after it had happened. He was the type of person who intentionally rubbed salt in the wound. It seemed like he didn’t have a heart, maybe he actually didn’t.

Kyungsoo immediately tensed up and tried to walk past without being seen, but it didn’t work. As soon as Damon saw Kyungsoo, his eyes took on a deathly glare.

“Hey Kyungsoo,” he called. A knot of worry tied in my stomach. I had a very bad feeling about this.

Kyungsoo turned to him, his face expressionless. “Yea, Damon?”

“Wasn’t it supposed to be Krystal’s birthday this Saturday?”

It was last week, you moron. I wanted to shout at him.

A slight glimpse of anger passed over Kyungsoo’s face but he quickly covered it up, returning to his expressionless mask. Unfortunately, Damon saw it and he smirked with satisfaction.

“Aw, did I miss it? Tell her happy birthday for me, okay? Oh wait, she isn’t here to hear it. ”

And right at that moment, Kyungsoo snapped. It was so fast that I didn’t even see it coming. His fist connected with Damon’s jaw and Damon stumbled back, placing a hand over where Kyungsoo had hit him.

“You are so dead,” Damon growled. He punched Kyungsoo, leaving him with a black eye.

I winced. I badly wanted to break up the fight but I couldn’t, I could only hope someone else would.

“HEY! What’s going on here!” a voice shouted.

Thank God, I think, but my relief waned as I looked over, seeing the angry-looking principal.

I would’ve preferred someone else to break up the fight.

“Both of you, to my office. NOW!”

And so here we are, sitting in the principal’s office, with the two boys fighting the urge not to lash at each other.

“OK, so what happened?” the principal asked.

The first question caused a torrent of explanations from both Kyungsoo and Damon and the principal slammed his hand on the desk.

“Never mind. Who hit who first?” the principal said.

“It was Kyungsoo,” Damon pointed at him as Kyungsoo glared.

“Is this true, Kyungsoo?” the principal asked. “Don’t think of lying to me.”

“Well, yea…it is true.” Kyungsoo started. “But-”

“No ‘buts’! Kyungsoo, detention after school,” the principal said as he pushed the two boys out the door.

What type of a principal is he? He shouldn’t even have been hired. I think.

Damon lets out a menacing laugh as he turns to Kyungsoo.

“I would’ve finished up the fight with you after school. But waiting for you after detention? You’re not worth it,” Damon snarls as he turns to walk away.

Kyungsoo’s POV

            It really is weird that I’m walking to detention all alone. If this had happened on a normal day, Kai, Suho, Sehun, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Kris, Tao, Chen, Xiumin, Lay and Luhan would all be having detention now too. Because every time one of us gets into detention, the rest of us will just do stupid things to get into detention too. “We are one,” Suho always says. “We’re all in this as one.”

            But as it is, every single one of them is not at school today. Everyone’s down with the flu, excluding me, Kai and Kris, but Kris is on a vacation. When we had asked where, he had said “the galaxy”, but afterwards he had told us it was actually Canada. Kai is on a field trip with the rest of his dancing class.

            And so here I am, awkwardly knocking on the door to the detention classroom.

            “Come in,” a bored voice answers.

            I open the door to see a teacher that looks like she’s half sleeping and another student. She has black shoulder length hair and dark eyes. I know that she’s not in my class yet something is so familiar about her. I shrug it off and take a seat next to her.

            We wait in dead silence for detention to be over, but before that, the teacher falls asleep, snoring rather loudly.

            “Should we go? She’s asleep anyways,” the girl whispers to me.

            I badly want to leave but then I might get into an even bigger heap of trouble if the teacher finds out, so I shake my head.

            “Better not, just in case,” I reply.

            The girl sighs. “First day of school and I already get in detention. Great.”

            “You’re new here?” I ask.

            “Yea,” she answers. “Why? Have you seen me at this school before?” she jokes.

            I frown slightly, deep in thought. “Well no, but you seem really familiar.”

            She laughs. “It looks like you really don’t recognize me. Well, I guess I’ve changed more than you have, Kyungsoo.”

            My eyes widen. “H- how do you know my name?”

            She laughs at my expression. “Well, you should know mine,” she says. “It’s Luna.”

            Oh, Luna. Now that I think of it, this girl does resemble my childhood friend from all those years ago. She was friends with Krystal, I think. That’s how I came to know her. We used to go to her house all the time to play hide and seek. Her place was perfect for a game like that. It was huge and filled with little hiding spots all over the place. Luna almost always won, well, because it was her house so she knew where all the hiding spots were.

            Luna sees the recognition as it crosses my face and smiles. “Long time no see.”

            At that statement, I feel a bit of guilt. It was my fault that we hadn’t kept in touch over the years. After Krystal’s accident, I couldn’t even bear to look at anyone who reminded me of Krystal, which included Luna. I have vague memories of Luna walking up to me at school and trying to talk to me, but I had walked away and ignored her. Krystal’s incident must have affected me a lot, it still does. I don’t remember exactly how strong the bond between her and me was, but it must have been almost inseparable because even after 10 years, I still feel pain whenever I hear her name.

            “Yea, sorry about that,” I mumble to Luna. Much to my surprise, she has a knowing smile on her face.

            “It’s okay,” she says. “We all miss her a lot.”

             I nod, keeping my head down because tears are threatening to slip out of my eyes. I try to change the subject. “So how did you get in detention?”

            “Well, I heard what that boy said to provoke you. I think his name was Damon? Anyways, after he came out of the school office, I tripped him over and told him to never speak of Krystal that way again. But unfortunately, that wasn’t the smartest move because the principal saw it and he called us both into the office. And you know that stupid rule he has about “whoever-hits-who-deserves-punishment-regardless-of-reason”.

            I laugh. “Yea, I’m all too familiar with that rule.”

            Luna nodded. “Honestly, he should be fired. Along with this teacher.” She nods her head toward the sleeping teacher at the front.

            Suddenly the teacher moves and we freeze. She lifts her head groggily and looks at the clock. “Detention’s over,” she says in a croaky voice.

            Luna and I hurriedly pack our bags and rush out of the classroom.

            “Do you think she heard us?” Luna asks as soon as we’re out of earshot.

            “I doubt it,” I say. “She probably would have had some sort of reaction to it if she did.”

            Luna nods. “True. Anyways, where are you going next?”

            “The florist,” I answer.

            “Mind if I tag along?”

Shadow’s POV

            I stare at Kyungsoo’s bruised eye as we walk into the florist shop. I want to ask him if it hurts and tell him to never get into a fight again but of course, I can’t.  

            Kyungsoo grabs a large bouquet of red roses and sets it down on the counter. The cashier tells him the price and Luna chokes, covering it up with a fake cough.

            “Why is it so expensive?” she whispers to Kyungsoo.

            “Because I need these flowers now and this was the closest florist shop,” Kyungsoo answers. He glances up to see the cashier glaring at them and he smiles sheepishly.

            After he pays, they walk out of the shop and continue taking the route to his house. Luna says that her house is along this way too so she continues walking with us.

            “Who are the flowers for?” Luna asks Kyungsoo.

“My mom,” he replies. “It’s her birthday today.”

“Why couldn’t you have been a little less lazy and walked a little farther so you could get a more reasonable price for the flowers?” Luna jokes.

“Because she’s going to be back from work at any minute now.”

I look at him fondly. First you get yourself hurt and now you’re wasting your money on overpriced flowers. You do the stupidest things, Kyungsoo. I think.

“I always give them right when she gets back home, never a minute late,” Kyungsoo says, a smile brightening his countenance.

Yea, you do the stupidest things. For the best reasons. 

 

Hiiiiii, sorry I took so long to update. :P I had a lot of projects this past week and exams next week and a whole lot of other hulla-ballu (I don't know if that's a word). But this chapter is long-ish so I hope that'll make up for it. :) Anyways, THANKS SO MUCH for reading and please subscribe, comment and upvote! :D