Chapter 16: Sunsets and Wishes

Shadow

Shadow’s POV 

            Kyungsoo had said that he would bring me out for a date. But this is slightly different from what I had expected.

            I thought we were just going to get some snacks and a few tubs of ice cream and watch a movie in his television room or something, but as expected of Kyungsoo, he always does the unexpected.

            When I had asked him if that was what we were doing, he had simply smiled and told me, “Wouldn’t it be boring to have a date in the same house we’ve been living in for the past 10 years?” He didn’t give any more hints on where we were going, and I couldn’t even remotely guess where we would go. But now I get it.

            All day long he has been going around the town, and since I’m his shadow during the daytime, he’s been dragging me along with him. At first, I felt bad because even though I’m technically with him, I can’t talk to him at all. But just like he could read my mind, he told me that as long as I got to sightsee and experience the town along with him, he could care less about the lack of talking.

            And so here we are now, stopping in front of an elaborately carved fountain in the middle of the square. Kyungsoo stops in front of the plaque at the side of the fountain that reads in shiny gold letters, May all your wishes come true. Kyungsoo takes a coin out of his pocket and closes his eyes, mumbling a wish that I can’t decipher. He opens his eyes a few moments later and tosses the coin into the fountain, letting the flat, round piece of metal join thousands of its kind down at the bottom.

            As we walk away from the fountain, I can’t help but wonder what Kyungsoo wished for. I have the urge to ask him later on, but I know what his answer would be. He would smile at me and say, “But telling you would go against the universal wish laws, Krystal. You’ll just have to wait and see.”

            My train of thought is interrupted by the loud rustling of the bushes lining the road we’re walking on. Kyungsoo seems to have heard it too because he turns his head in the direction of the sound. As soon as he takes his first step towards it, the rustling immediately stops. Kyungsoo is about to investigate further, but the sky suddenly dims noticeably. Kyungsoo seems to have remembered something and he sprints away from the bushes, heading further down the path. I turn my head back to look at the shrubs. Being a curious girl, I wish I could just pull Kyungsoo’s hand and drag him all the way back just to see what caused the rustling. But as the bushes grow smaller and smaller in my vision, I am reminded once again how sometimes, it just isn’t fun to be a shadow.

            I turn my head back around to face the road again, and I notice that the sun is already setting. Kyungsoo makes a sharp turn to the left, where a rough dirt path leads to a little hill, with a lone tree at the top. He ascends the hill and I wonder how he hasn’t tripped at the speed he’s going. When he finally reaches the top, he plops down, leaning against the tree while he gasps for air.

            “Wanted…to catch…the sunset,” he says in between breaths.

            “It wouldn’t have been a good thing to miss,” I agree, startling myself with my voice. I glance back down at myself, realizing I’m back to Krystal mode.

            Kyungsoo grins at me and we both turn to look up, watching the vibrant hues of orange, red and yellow paint the sky as the giant sphere known as the sun slowly descends, allowing way for the moon and stars to emerge later on.

            I turn to look at Kyungsoo, watching how his eyes twinkle as he watches the sunset and I am reminded of one of the reasons why I fell in love with him.

            “Kyungsoo,” I call and he faces me, humming a “Hm?” in the process.

            “When did you realize that your feelings for me changed?”

            Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything for a while, his eyes deep in thought. “Well, I realized them that day when Sehun was trying to make me jealous,” he says and I smile. I have a certain maknae to thank later on. “But as for my feelings….I don’t think they really ever changed,” Kyungsoo continues and I furrow my brows in confusion, waiting for him to elaborate.

            “I loved you ever since we were little, really. It just took me a while to catch on,” he says and my eyes widen in surprise. “What about you? When did you start liking me?” he asks.

            “A long, long time ago,” I reply and this time it’s his eyes that widen.

“I’m sorry,” he says, sounding genuinely guilty.

            “Whatever for?” I ask him, my eyebrows raised.

            “For taking so long,” he replies and I smile at him.

            “Well, it turns out that we both love each other. What more could I ask for?” I say.

            I reach out my hand to hold D.O.’s, and he jumps slightly, surprised by the contact. He glances down at our intertwined hands and a smile finds its way onto his face. He uses his other hand to gently bring my head down to rest on his shoulder and we stay like that as we watch the peak of the sun disappear over the horizon.

            As the darkness starts to set in around us, we realize that it’s time to head back home. We get up hesitantly, keeping our fingers intertwined and taking the road back to the house. Although the night air is cold, Kyungsoo’s hand is warm and I find myself holding tighter to it.

            After a while of walking, we catch sight of the house gates just up ahead, and right above us, a shooting star catapults across the sky, leaving a streak of white light in its wake.

            “Now’s your chance to make a wish, Krystal,” Kyungsoo tells me.

            I close my eyes while my head is still tilted up towards the sky. I wish that Kyungsoo and I will be able to stay together, and never be separated again.

            When I open my eyes, Kyungsoo and I continue walking and I turn to him, puzzled. “Aren’t you going to ask me what I wished for?” I ask him.

            He smiles. “My dear Krystal, that would be going against the universal wish laws,” he says and I laugh.

            But somehow I know that I don’t need to be curious about what D.O. wished for back at the fountain either. Because something tells me that he and I wished for the same thing.  

 

Hellooooo my readers! Did you guys like this chapter? If you did, please subscribe, comment and upvote! It would make me so happy! Thank you!