ENDING A Part 1: The Championship Road

Romance: The Summer- A Story of Sweat, Blood, and Tears

Burning: What?! America? Why would Yonghwa go there?

       4 Years and a half after his departure…

                                                    The Champion Road

“Yonghwa, Yonghwa, how do you feel about the former champion challenging you to a rematch?” questioned the buzzing reporter.

And then another shoved his recording device into Yonghwa’s face, asking, “Who will take the belt this time?”

Then the whole lot of reporters and tabloids pressed upon Yonghwa and it seemed as though he was being overtaken by a herd of wild animals. All ambushed him, wanting to know of his response.

“Shut up! You guys are like leeches, you know that? Or like mosquitoes! Man, all of you are the little life I have left out of me! And for another story? Leave me alone! No doubt I’ll beat him and retain my title; now leave me alone!” shot back Yonghwa.

Yonghwa then made a dash for it and escaped the hotel hallway, leaving for the streets. He walked slowly, but eventually reached the gym he frequents, his gym.

He stepped in and was greeted, “Hey there, Yonghwa! Good evening! Is youse gonna train for your rematch? Or are you here to see my pops?”

“Nah, I don’t need no training… ‘Sides, the match is six months away. And I could beat the man with only one hand, or even with both hands tied behind my back! But, yeah, I came to see your old man… I’ve been meaning to speak with him for a while now, but I could just not find the time. Can I see him, or has he already turned in for the night? It is midnight… Heck, I’m surprised the gym’s still open!”

“Yeah, well, I was just ‘bout to close. But, I seen youse coming from down the street and I thought youse was gonna pass by. He ain’t asleep though; he’s too excited for your next match against the former champion. He’s in his room watching taped videos of your old matches and whatnot. You can go meet wit him.”

“Alright, well, I’ll go now. Thanks, Saulie…” said Yonghwa as he waved good bye. He walked towards the end of the gym, where an old staircase awaited him. He ascended the old and dusty steps while holding onto the rugged rails. When he reached the top, Yonghwa faced right where the old man lived.

The door was opened, and inside could be seen a small old man tossing his popcorn at the tv monitor and shouting at it.

“Hey there, old man!!!” shouted Yonghwa. “Old man Martinez?????”

“You don’t hafta yell! It’s my legs tat ain’t working; my ears are perfectly fine!” responded the old man.

“Okay, fine…”

“By the ways, I don’t suppose you came here to look at my handsome face, whaddaya want?”

“Yeah… I just came to chat.” sighed out Yonghwa.

The old man coughed and the grunted, “Bout what? You ain’t satisfied with my training?- Not that you need it anyways… You know, it’s been a very long time since I had student like you.  It’s been like a dream having you around, you know?  You gots raw talent! You absorb everything like a sponge; you’re an excellent learner! And you’re also like sponge in the fact that you take hits like nothing, and you don’t get knocked down! You got guts, kid! But… There’s something you’re missing, something you need… All you need is heart. That’s all you need. You got everything but that- and if you get that, then you would be the strongest fighter! However, it might just be me, but I’m sure that’s not what you want exactly. Maybe you’re afraid of being loved or something… You’re like a movie, kid. At least, like some type of blockbuster that was due for release and great success was expected but, then all of a sudden, production for it was canned… Or, like a movie in that the greatest scene was up next, the , but then someone hit the pause button… Yeah, that’s right, it’s like you’re life has been put on hold for a while now… Your body might be aging, and everything around might be going forward, but you’re not. I don’t know how to put it, but it’s like you’re dead. It’s been killing me for a while, this feeling. But, I’m sure that even if ask you, you won’t answer… Kid, did you take up boxing in hope of killing yourself in the ring?”

“Yeah, I ain’t ready to talk ‘bout it...” said Yonghwa under his breath.

“I don’t blame ya… But, let me tell you that if you became a boxer hoping to die, you’re not only disgracing the sport, but you’re also spittin’ at my face! And, I’m afraid you won’t be successful at that anyways. You’ve already survived the most grueling matches; I don’t think anyone can kill you! Anyways, lemme’ tell you sumting’ else... Kid, even though you might be a little dead inside, you’ve actually revived me! And not only me, but everyone who comes into the gym as well! Seeing you around makes me happy, kid… It’s been a long time since I’ve been this happy. In all my years as a trainer, you are the second one to have the potential of a champion- but out of the two, you are the only one to have become a champion… Boy, do I feel bad for that other kid… I left him at the time he needed me the most, and all ‘cuz of my stinkin’ knees! “, then he gazed into Yonghwa’s eyes and continued saying, “He was kinda like you- and to tell you the truth, I wouldn’t be surprised if he became the way you are right now: dead inside… I wouldn’t blame him…” And he wept over that other one, but continued again, saying, “He lost a match and it seemed like he could just never get back up… I woulda been there for him, but my knees weren’t so kind to me, you know? Ohhh boy, the best I could do was to leave him a present. I hope that did him some good. I hope he got back up… I wish that boy would write to me! I mean, he did have my address on the back of that letter I sent him- but knowing how much of an idiot he was, I’m sure he just forgot about doing so… Or worst, he probably didn’t even realize my address was on the back of that letter… He was never too bright that… that… I forget his name… -“

“I know right!” interjected Yonghwa

“What? Oh well, ‘nuff ‘bout that stinker and my stories. Waddya’ want to talk about?”

“Oh, I came to ask ‘bout those tickets I had you get for me.”

“Yeah, I got ‘em. They’re right next to the tv set over yonder. But, I wanna know sumting. You keeps askin’ me for the same amount of ringside tickets for every single match that you have ever fought. However, dem seats are never taken. They’re always empty. And I tell myself of what a waste they are, to just be empty. So, why do you keep asking me for tickets if those sons of fishes you bought ‘em for never go? I’m sure there’s some fan of yours that would do anything for dem’ tickets… But, oh well. It’s your blood-earned money we’re talking ‘bout.”

“Yeah don’t worry about it. Anyways, let’s change the subject some. How’s mah engleesh? Haz eet got ton bettah since youse met meh?”

“Pfffft! English, really? My boy, you best be happy me and Saul are fluent in Korean! Your English is terrible! The best sentence you’ve ever put together is ‘This is can! And Dis is real hip-hop!’

Yonghwa laughed and laughed at his comment. In fact, it gladdened the old man’s heart to see a joyous Yonghwa. Yonghwa then took a few steps and clutched the tickets. He stuffed them inside his jacket’s pocket. He was making his way out down the dusty stairs, when he heard old man Martinez yell.

“Don’t be like that other kid I told ya about! He couldn’t get back up after he lost and I, and I, and I… I wasn’t there fer him. But, I’m here for you, boy! Don’t die on me yet Yonghwa! Don't hang up your gloves! What you needs is a friend, kid! Someone whom you can talk to, someone who can get you back up! I’m here fer ya, boy!”

Yonghwa stood still as he heard Martinez shout his adam’s apple out and left when he had finished his little speech. He headed towards the front doors, but was stopped by Saulie, the old man’s son and Yonghwa’s ringman.

“Yonghwa, I didn’t tell you this before, but I feel I should tell you now. You’ve sparked the fire in my dad’s heart and a fire inside my heart as well. I don’t thinks I can do the sames for you, but please if there something you need- just tell me, I’m here fer you… You’re like a brother to me. And I also got to tell you that you gotta be careful. The former champ, your next opponent, he’s even stronger now… Just think about it, he was undefeated for a while, and then like thunder in the clear blue sky, his tittle was taken by an unknown fighter, you! I’m sure he’s out for blood and not just his title. I don’t know if my pops has ever told you before, but, he’s the one that destroyed the career of that other kid my pops trained back in the day. The one kid he’s told you about before, that… I forget his name. But yeah, the one my dad couldn’t be there for. Please, be careful. And stay strong, Yonghwa! Fightoh! I mean, fighting!”

“Yeah, I got it. Don’t worry ‘bout it. Don’t worry about me. It should be your dad for whom you should be worrying about. Nah, as a matter of fact, don’t worry about nothing! You should just worry about worrying! I’m good… K, bye!”

Yonghwa then gave as much as a smile as he could and left for the streets. He walked aimlessly. It was cold outside. The winds were strong and they blighted Yonghwa. His lips were chapped, but knowing his remedy, he them.  He kept on walking, and his thoughts were dark, but the Christmas lights lit a little joy in his wearied heart. Yonghwa’s gaze was then fixated upon a beautiful looking building. Yonghwa crossed the street and stood outside the building’s garden.

“A church, huh? I guess no one… I guess not even you can help me now, huh?”

Yonghwa took a deep breath and continued walking ahead. “Where should I go now?” he asked himself.

Yonghwa’s eyes then met with a neon sign that hung upon a bar’s door. They were so bright that he thought they might even blind him if he continued staring. Hesitating, he chose to go inside. The bar was empty as only the bartender was there cleaning dirty glasses behind a tabletop.  Yonghwa walked to the end of that tabletop and sat there, in front of a tv monitor that was hanging down from the ceiling.

“What are ya having?” asked the bartender.

“Oh, well you got anything besides alcohol?”

“What? You serious? Didn’t you see the big sign outside? You know, the one with the flashing lights? It’s very hard to miss.”- the bartender coughed and continued, “This is a bar.”

“Excuse me, but you didn’t answer my question. Do you have anything besides liquor?”

The bartender became irritated, but answered “Aghhh, yeah we got apple juice.”

“I don't like apple juice. You got milk?”

“Got what?…”

“Got 7!”

“WHAT?”

“Milk, you got milk?”

“Uhmmm, no we do not have milk…”

“How about orange juice? Or better yet, you got some Monstar energy drink? It’s been several years since I drank that…”

The bartender’s brows were shrugged and he was angry. However, he complied with Yonghwa’s request and pulled out a cup filing it with orange juice. Then he slid it down the tabletop and Yonghwa caught it with a tight grip.

“Will that be all?”

“Oh, you got the remote for the tv?”

He pulled out the control from his pocket and slid it over to Yonghwa.

“Thanks. And you’re Korean is awesome by the way. I’m surprised you’re that fluent.”

“Aha, thanks…”

Yonghwa began sipping on his oj as he the tv. He flipped through various channels but was unhappy with the programing. “No Maury or anything?” he questioned. His hand then rested the control on the table when he landed on a channel full of commotion and shouting.

“It’s a press conference with the former champ. You should leave it there…” commented the bartender.

On the screen, the press was pressing upon the former champ with their questions, all asking about the upcoming rematch. Their shouts were all overlapping one another’s and that kindled the former champ’s anger.

“Alright, you guys gotta shut up! One question at a time! Got it? Cuz if not, I’ll shut y‘all up myself!” His words were enough to silence all the reporters.

A reporter then coughed, ending the silence, and he raised his hand. He asked “Mr. Steps, it’s been 2 years since you lost the highly coveted World Heavyweight championship to Yonghwa. It was an unexpected turn of events to say the least. I mean, he was a nobody. But you, being somebody, lost to him, a nobody. He came out of nowhere! And you were a seasoned veteran! So, my question is, how exactly did he beat you?”

He took a deep sigh, but reluctantly answered, “Well, when I lost to him- it was a fluke! I underestimated the fool! You see, during all those years I was champ, no one and I mean no one came close to hurting me. This Yonghwa though, he was different. Boy had something that no other challengers ever had… I dunno how to explain it, but it was like he wasn’t afraid of dying or something… Anyways, I didn’t train enough for that match. I thought it’d be a slice of cake. I was sluggish and he wasn’t is all.”

A second reporter stood up and asked, “I got a good question! I don’t know about everyone else here, but I want to know. What’s the reason for your name, the First Steps?

Steps ran his hand through his bald head, “Wanna know why they call me that, ey? That’s easy! It’s because for every person that faces me in the ring, for that person, I am the first steps to the end of their career. You see, every person that has ever fought me, within his next five matches- he retires. I break peoples’ careers. In fact, I forced one person into permanent retirement after the end of our match. And that was before I ever was champion! His name was Junkie or something like that. Y’all can look that match up! Now, if you guys know how to count, I am Yonghwa’s fifth challenger. That’s right his next match is his last!”

“Oh yeah, how will this match be different from the one in which you lost? It’s been two whole years since you’ve fought at all! People thought Yonghwa forced you into retirement! What were you doing during those two years, sir?” questioned a smug reporter.

Steps laughed in response. “Those two years? Those two years are the reason why this match will be different! After that match I went to his homeland in Korea. You know, you gotta know not only who your enemy is, but also where he is coming from. Anyways, I went deep into mountains there for some serious training during those two years. And it was during that time that I met a person… Believe it or not, he taught me how take down bears with my bare fists! Oh, he was a great master. He didn’t give me his name though, said he wasn’t strong enough to be worthy of a name. But, in my eyes, he was the strongest man alive. Even I would tremble before him in the ring! BUT, I digress… And so it’s like I said, those two years are the reason why I’ll regain my title.”

A stout reporter stood up and quietly asked, “What’s your prediction for the match?”

Steps placed his hands over his face and answered “Boy, you deaf? Did you or did you not just hear me say, I will regain my title? Besides that my prediction is…“ -He turned his head and his intense gaze met with the main camera’s lens as he said- “Pain…”

Then Yonghwa scoffed at his response, chuckled, and immediately changed the channel.  He had changed the channel to that of a popular singer singing a ballad.

 “How about that? I didn’t know Hongki was still singing after all those years… He’s even famous here in America? I wonder what woulda happened if I woulda taken up on his offer… It’s too late for that now though…”

He rested his head upon the table slowly, using his arms as cushions. 

“I hope you don’t mind, but I want to rest a little. Imma take a small nap, and please don’t worry about waking me up. I’ll wake up when I wake up…”

“You don’t say… Might as well make this bar a bed-and-breakfast while I’m at it.” remarked the bartender.

It came to pass that as soon as Yonghwa fell asleep that people began to fill up the bar. And Yonghwa grew troubled in his sleep. Tears, small tears, began to flow down his face. Yonghwa began to whimper quietly, and a man from across the bar noticed him. He saw Yonghwa and his trouble, so he came and sat next to him.

He shook him up from his sleep and asked “Why do you look so sad tonight?”

“Well, it’s because I had a dream… Or a nightmare for that matter. It’s the same one that has haunted me for years now…”

“Tell me.” the man responded.

“I see myself standing in the middle of a road. And on the sidewalk my old friends stand conversing with one another. I see them talking about something but I can’t hear their voices, and I also see them searching for something. I try talking to them, but they can’t hear me. I get angry, and angry. Then I see them disperse, with each going their own way… After that, I just stand there. I keep trying to move forward but I can’t for some reason. .. That’s all of it. You think it means something?”

“Yes, I am sure it does, but I am also sure that- that is not the root of your trouble. Is it?”

“Yeah, you’re right… You see, years ago I had a group of friends that I dearly loved. And, one night we had an argument and that very night… Violence and hatred stirred within our souls- no, my soul… We beat each other to a pulp. It’s kinda funny now that I think about it. I think we felt more comfortable with each other than with our own flesh and blood… Yet it only took one night to replace all that love we had for one another with hate… Man it’s sad…”

“That’s not all of it though. Is it?” asked the man.

“No, no it’s not. I miss ‘em… Those times we spent together, their smiles, their laughter, their talking, their shouting, even their breathing… I just miss ‘em… God I’m lonely…”

Yonghwa took out the tickets he had gotten earlier that night and stared at them. He was choking up, but went on, saying, “I’m a professional boxer- I’m the WBO World Heavyweight Champion. You see these tickets?  Well, for every single match I’ve ever fought, I’ve bought ringside tickets- these here in my hands are the ones for my next match… I bought ‘em for those friends I talked to you about. But those seats are always empty, like me… It kills me whenever I see those empty seats during my fights. And it’s because it kills me that I try to finish every single match as soon as possible…”

The man had already perceived as to why those seats were always empty, but that Yonghwa may open his heart, he asked “Why are those seats always empty?”

Yonghwa let out a deep sigh and said, “They’re always empty because I can never bring myself to give them the tickets… “
“Why do you think in such way, Yonghwa?” asked the man.

Yonghwa became frustrated and answered “It’s ‘cuz I know they’ll just throw ‘em away… They would never accept them…  They will never accept me after all I did to them. It’s because of me that we stopped being friends. My hands are covered in blood, why would they forgive me? I mean they would probably see my boxing as me not getting enough of hurting people! Why would they forgive me?”- He began to laugh and cry, but continued- “Who? WHO? WHO? Who would forgive me after all those things?”

It was at that moment that the man replied, “I forgive you. All you have to do is ask for forgiveness and you will be forgiven.”
Yonghwa’s eyes became fierce and he his heart was overtaken by anger and confusion. “Who are you to say that?!” exclaimed Yonghwa.

The man responded, saying, “Remember that dream, Yonghwa. It was you who your friends were looking for. And they were also looking to forgive one another. You, however, are not on the same side as they are. Instead of being next to them, you stand afar at a distance. And that road you are standing on is your life, separate from theirs. And you cannot move past yourself to ask for forgiveness- that is why you cannot move forward in your dream. It’s not until you forgive yourself that you will be able to move forward and ask for their forgiveness. I am sure that your friends are willing to forgive you. That is why they are looking for you. In the end, they have each gone in their own ways but still await your return”
“Oh yeah? Why won’t they come to me then?!”

“That’s because they don’t want to force themselves on you. They are waiting for you to be ready and come to them.”
“Who are you?” demanded Yonghwa.

“I am an old friend?” answered the man.

“What? Shut up!” shouted Yonghwa. And anger overtook Yonghwa. He clenched his fist until his fingernails pierced his skin and began to bleed. Yonghwa then punched a hole through the wooden table with his fist.

“Why am I even talking to you about these things?”

“Because, you asked for help.” answered the man.

“What? How dare you even say that? I don’t recall asking anyone for help! Why do you even call yourself my friend?”

“Because, I Am.”

It was at that time that the bartender interrupted the two, asking Yonghwa to leave. It was too much of a commotion and he asked Yongwa to leave for the sake of his customers. Yonghwa stormed out of the bar and returned to his hotel room. He remained there for the rest of the night.

He slept a while, but was awoken by the sunlight that pierced through the shades. He arose from his bed, and as he was accustomed to, he stretched out his body. After he had stretched he reached deep inside his pockets, searching for the tickets. However, they were not there.

“Where could they be?” he asked himself.

“I know, I had ‘em in my pockets last night. There’s no way I coulda lost them though. I never took them  out”- then he remembered- “The bar! I took them out last night at the bar!”

As soon as he finished those words he ran frantically to the bar. He burst open the door when he got there.

“It’s too early to be drinking, isn’t it?” chuckled the bartender. “Oh wait, I forgot. You don’t drink alcohol, you drink orange juice. By the way, you do know you didn't pay for yesterday, right?”

“Yeah, I’ll pay for it. But first, I might have dropped some tickets here yesterday, have you seen them?”

“Uhmm, let me think back. You did cause a ruckus last night so you shouldn’t be surprised that you lost ‘em. But yeah, I think I might have seen them when I was cleaning last night…”

“Oh yeah? That’s great! Where are they”

“To tell you the truth… I think I might’ve accidentally thrown them away when I finished sweeping…”

Yonghwa’s face grew long at this unexpected answer. He slouched upon a stool and buried his face deep in his hands.

“Are you absolutely sure you tossed them away?”

“Yup, I’m sure of it now. Sorry kid. I work the overnight shift and didn’t get much sleep during the day… I can’t believe I tossed them out myself. It’s a shame, I mean, I understand your frustration. I recently became a big boxing fan myself. I was out of it to just toss those ringside tickets away! Anyways, you know that former champion whose interview you saw yesterday? “

“Yeah, what about him? He’s a bum…”

”Well, I became a big fan of his next opponent, the current world Heavyweight Champion. And now that I think about it… You kinda look like him…”

“You don’t say… Well, how about you give me a cup of coffee? And I like it Monstar-ized, so if you could, can you mix a can of Monstar energy drink in it? I’m thirsty…”

“Give me a moment” replied the bartender as he prepped his order.

After he finished his drink, Yonghwa asked the bartender for how much he owed. The bartender didn’t hesitate in charging him for his drinks and the table he broke. Yonghwa paid the bill in cash and left his business card between the bills, saying “Here’s my card. I autographed it for ya!”

Yonghwa left the bar and walked towards his gym at a leisurely pace.

He sang, “Take you back, Take you back. Doo Doo Doo Doo..”

 And he trained there for six months, up until the day of the match…

                                  End of Part 1 of the first ending...