Cash Cow

Romance: The Summer- A Story of Sweat, Blood, and Tears

 Morning came and so did the time for our two heroes to go to work. Burning drove his motorcycle and Yonghwa sat in his backseat. After the morning traffic hustle and bustle, they were the first to arrive, or so they thought.

 “Hey, why are you guys so late?!” exclaimed _______ as she greeted hello with a wave.

 As Yonghwa neared her he pointed towards the sign on the gym’s entrance which read, “Closed”. And then he pointed towards the sign beside it which displayed the open hours. “We’re not late, we’re right on time. Sign says ‘Open from 10:00 A.M. ‘till 10 P.M.’ and it’s..... 9:00 A.M.” said Yonghwa while showing her the time displayed on his watch. He then proceeded to open the door.

 “Hmph.” responded the girl. She went into the gym; Burning and Yonghwa followed after. Then Burning intrigued by the girl’s presence asked Yonghwa, “What’s she doing here?”

 “Oh, her? Well, you see, I told her about how business has been particularly bad lately, and so I talked to her about it. If a pretty girl, like her, were to come into the gym to work, or to work out, then maybe business will boom.”

 “So, she’s going to work her from now on then? Cash cow??? ……. Hold on, did you even bother talking about this to Jungshin?” questioned Burning.

 “Nah, but when he sees business booming, I’m sure he’ll agree. Yup, cash cow... I don’t think Minhyuk or anyone else would have a problem with her. I mean, she’s bratty, but she’s cute, so it’s ‘kay, right?” responded Yonghwa.

 “Why are you guys taking so long to get to work? And when was the last time you guys cleaned the place, it smells.” shouted ______ .

 After settling down she brought out a mop and started cleaning the floor, and the two eventually joined her. A few minutes after they began, Minhyuk came in and after looking at ______, he asked about her.  Burning explained the situation and Minhyuk commented, saying “Wow, never imagined a woman stepping inside this place.”

 “Hey! I’m not old enough to be called a ‘woman’! I’m very young you know! I’m a fine lady!” shouted ______ in response to Minhyuk.

 Minhyuk then proceeded to walk toward the back room where the gym was, and she followed after him, wondering where the back door would lead to. “Ewww, what’s wrong with you guys? No wonder this place has been doing bad; it not only reeks, but it’s disgusting to look at. Having a ring here is cool, but look at it! Blood and……. stains of I don’t know what are on the canvas. When was the last time you guys cleaned this?” she exclaimed in sheer astonishment of the ring’s condition.

 “It’s been like this as long as I can remember. I’m fine with it as long as I can use it.” said Minhyuk as he shrugged his shoulders. At this, she responded with a sarcastic smile and a “Geheh.”

 She got to cleaning the ring and Minhyuk, ignoring her, got to training.

A few of their old gym members came in and as they saw _______ they praised her for her beauty.

 “Yup, she’s gonna ‘ be working from here on out. Her name’s too hard to pronounce; it’s ________ but I call her Blanka Blanks. Tell your grandchildren and your great grandchildren about the pretty girl working here please?” said Yonghwa to the customers.

 “We’ll look forward to it. I think if we do tell our grandsons about this babe, even they might be motivated to exercise. ‘Dem whippersnappers spend too much time on ‘der phones, and videogames, and internetting, and whatnot. They need to get off ‘der lazy behinds and work up some sweat like old times! Did I ever you tell you about the old times kiddo? No, of course not, you just started working here….. Last week right?” said one of the old members.

 “Yeah, but I’m pretty sure I heard ‘bout the, uhm, ‘old times’ already.” answered Yonghwa in response.

 “What are you talking ‘bout Yonghwa, I’m pretty sure you haven ‘t.” remarked Burning.  “Go on folks you guys can talk to Yonghwa about the old days as you train.” added Burning .

 “Good idea! I wish my grandson were like you. I’m sure you don’t play ‘dem video games all day, Flaming!” answered one of them. “It’s Burning, not Flaming, sir.” sighed Burning. And they took Yonghwa along as they began using the treadmills, all the while talking of the olden days. He stared back at Burning with cold eyes, as if all his joy had been swallowed up by vortex, and Burning stared back with a grin.

 About an hour later Jungshin came, and Eric too came in with him. “Burning what happened to the gym? Why is it so clean? Why does it smell so nice……. Something’s wrong here…. It feels…. Like it smells…. Like berries? This is too weird….” said Jungshin. He knew something was off. The atmosphere of the gym had changed severely, and he felt in in his very bones.

 Immediately he ran towards the backroom where the ring was. He went in and as he gazed at his ring his jaw dropped, and Minhyuk and _______ stared at him. He fell to his knees and cried out, “My ring? WHAT happened to my ring?!!”

 “Oh, hi! I guess you must be the owner if this establishment. I cleaned the place up….. I guess Burning and Yonghwa helped a little. You can thank me once we discuss my salary…. I mean, I’m pretty sure more people are going to come in from now on. It used to be so disgusting, not that it’s not still disgusting, but it’s bearable I guess. You should’ve seen how nasty the ring was. It was just eww. There was so much blood and stains from I don’t know what.” she answered confidently.

 Tears were flowing down Jungshin’s cheeks as he cried out. “Woman who are you? What salary? Why do you do this? Mops? Where did you get all these cleaning supplies?..... All that blood, that sweat, those tears…. those memories. Why???!!!!”

 “Well, sorry! It’s not my fault you guys never clean this place. I’m going to talk to Yonghwa now, he never told me you were going to be like this. Ughhh!” she exclaimed as she left the ring heading to meet Yonghwa.

 “Wait… Minhyuk, did she say Yonghwa??? It was him??!!!” cried out Jungshin in anger.

 “Uhmm….. yes, it was his idea to bring her in, something about attracting more customers or something….Cash cow?” responded Minhyuk. Upon his suspicions being confirmed, Jungshin too went to meet Yonghwa.

 It didn’t take long for the two to find him and they both yelled out, “Yonghwa, GET OVER HERE!”

 Yonghwa, being wearied from hearing about the “old times” quickly rushed to them.

 “What is this?” They shouted in unison.

 At this Yonghwa responded, “Hold on, I can explain.”

 The three of them “talked” for a long time, and you could hear how often they yelled at each other. Eric, Minhyuk, and Burning had gathered together staring at them; talking amidst themselves and asking whether this would add to the list of Yonghwa’s jobs that he had lost. After about an hour or so of shouting peace again returned as they had seemed to come to an agreement of sorts.

 They came towards Burning, Minhyuk, and Eric. Yonghwa hung his head down as Jungshin placed _______ in the midst of them.

 “Well, guys, I’m sorry I behaved like that. Nevertheless here is ________ , though I’m sure you guys met her already. She’s going to be working here from now on, and don’t worry, Yonghwa is still keeping his job….. less pay, but still keeping it….” said Jungshin. He then looked at Eric, pushed _______ toward him, saying “Oh, Eric you haven’t met her. Here say hi.”

 “Hi.” he shyly responded.

 “Hi!” she replied.  

 “Well it’s a good idea to have her work here!….. I’m sure you’ll reconsider my pay, right Jungshin? I mean with her on our side we will finaly be able to crush the competition. Yes, that big gym on the other side of town. Remember? The one that's' got those seven kids working for 'em. Those seven we met on Friday. We promised to take them up as our rivals and defeat them.” said Yonghwa.

 “Right…. But for now, let’s go to the ring .  Remember our agreement.” answered Jungshin.

 He pulled Yonghwa by the ear as he dragged him over to the ring, and Minhyuk followed them. Burning stayed with _______ at the front desk, and Eric went to train.

 The days passed as they went on like this, bickering, laughing, sweating, but having an overall fun time, and sure enough more people began frequenting the gym. It turns out the old gym members had a lot of grandsons.

                                                                                          End of Chapter 10 Day 7