Chapter 8 - Realizations and Epiphanies

A Complicated Regard

Taehyung lay on his bed and stayed still. He knew that the ghost lying below his bed was not asleep so he didn’t want to make any sort of actions to distract the ghost into talking to him. It wasn’t that he didn’t like talking to Jungkook. He was fun to talk to in fact. He listened well and had the curiosity of a child which never failed to amaze Taehyung. So, no. It wasn’t the fact that he didn’t want to talk to the ghost.

But there was something on his mind. And it kind of disturbed him. So he needed time to think. He needed a moment away from the ghost because every time he was with the ghost, all these thoughts disappeared. These vexing thoughts never seemed to cause as much trouble when he was with the younger. But the moment he was away from Jungkook, every little thought about the ghost came rushing back to him like a tidal wave. And Taehyung felt horrible whenever this happened.

It was like he was missing him.

Taehyung shook his head and turned to his sides, making the movement seem as natural as possible. Noticing that the ghost below him was unaffected, he continued with his diverting thoughts.

Why would I miss him?  he thought and stared at the wall. His fingers reached for the cold wall in front of him and he began to draw mindless patterns on it.

Maybe because you’re growing more attached to the ghost than you think? A tiny voice spoke out in his mind. But he shushed it. As if!

 

But thinking about it, the voice was kind of right. He had grown attached to the ghost. And he didn’t know if that was a good thing or not.

 

Why am I so attached to him? It doesn’t make sense, he questioned himself. Sure, the ghost was attractive and cute. He did have a cute smile and that laugh sounded heavenly when it was accompanied by the cringing of his whole face when he lightened up and shared a laugh with the elder.

And sure, Jungkook knew how to make Taehyung feel good about himself. The younger was a ball of sunshine, always trying his best to make the elder feel light and contented with sarcasm and silly statements.

And there was the obvious fact that Jungkook helped Taehyung in more ways he could imagine (like with his homework and chores, for example). But that wasn’t exactly why he had grown to like the certain ghost so much, now was it?

Maybe you’ve fallen for him, the inner voice said again. The mindless patterns came to an abrupt stop and so did Taehyung’s breath.

That was silly. Why would Taehyung fall for a ghost? He already had a boyfriend, didn’t he? A great one, at that. So why on earth would he like Jungkook? Because he was beautiful? Because he made the elder feel so happy and contented and safe that he never wanted to let go of the younger? Because he was just perfect in his own way? Because he was amazing? Because his own stupid little heart wouldn’t stop beating rapidly whenever he was near the non-existent boy? Because he was Jungkook?

A chill passed through Taehyung’s spine. And the orange haired male recognized it as pain. But why pain? The inner voice asked. It was pain because he was aware of the thoughts he had just come up with. He just described how happy Jungkook made him feel. He just admitted that the younger made everything better by just being there. He just admitted that he was falling for Jungkook because Jungkook was, well, Jungkook.

Taehyung’s nose stung a little. And it was accompanied by blurring of his vision. Yup. He wanted to cry. Because he was falling for a non-existent person. And even though he had watched countless movies and animes about humans falling in love with ghosts, he knew it wasn’t possible. He possibly couldn’t get a happy ending with a ghost. Because he’s dead, he reasoned.

So he held back the tears. No. He wouldn’t cry. He just wouldn’t. He couldn’t cry for a person who was not alive anymore. He couldn’t cry for a person whom he didn’t know about when he was alive. He couldn’t cry for a reason like that.

But the tears fell anyway because he wasn’t crying for those. The tears fell because he was in love. The tears fell because he couldn’t be with Jungkook forever. The tears fell because he was longing for a happy ending when it was obvious, there would be none. It was like one of those stories written in the view of the villain; no matter what methods the villain uses, he always loses. It was as blatantly and annoyingly obvious as that.

So the tears fell. And he slowly went tumbling down into slumber.

 

 

 

 

 

Next Morning:

 

Jin honestly had no idea why he started liking the president in the first place. Was it because he was handsome?

Jin shook his head violently as he walked down the hallway, making his way to the Student’s Council room. The passing students looked at him curiously but didn’t say anything. So he continued to stroll down the hallway, lost in his own world.

Namjoon is handsome but that wasn’t the reason, he thought and continued to ponder. In his hands were two registers that were due to be submitted to the headmaster that very day. He held them tighter and made a left turn.

Was it because he was smart and cool? Jin smiled to himself. Namjoon was smart and cool. And courageous. And honest. And charismatic. And brilliant. And responsible. And friendly. And kind. And generous. And fair. And… Wow, he could go on the whole day. But he decided against it. That wasn’t the reason why he fell for the ivory haired president whom everyone looked up to in the first place.

Was it because he was dependent on Jin? Jin bit the inner part of his cheeks and thought back on all the times that his dongsaeng president required his help on anything. Yup. He was cute when he asked for help. And Jin felt good to help the one person that he liked. But that wasn’t the reason either.

 

Was it because of his smile? The president did have one of the most charming and dazzling smile that Jin had ever seen in his life. The way Namjoon’s plump and (eternally) pink lips curled up when he found anything funny was just amazing. And it had to be accompanied by those damned lady (and Jin) killer dimples on his cheeks. Gosh! Jin could feel himself blushing. Kill! Me! Now!

Returning back to his normal composure, Jin finally reached the Student’s Council room. He placed his right hand on the door knob and turned it open, expecting the president to be already there, reading a book or something.

Jin took in a breath of relief, because he was right. The president was there alone, on his desk. But he wasn’t reading anything. Instead, he seemed like he was bored. Like he was waiting for something, or someone.

 

“Good morning, Pres,” Jin wished and walked towards Namjoon’s desk with a kind smile. He intended to give the registers to the president and let him have one last look before officially submitting it to the headmaster.

The ivory haired president looked up at the speaker and his bored expression immediately disappeared.

 

“What were you doing?” Jin asked curiously. Namjoon responded with an equally kind smile on his face as he stood up. Gosh, those bloody dimples! “I was waiting for you,” he said and pulled Jin towards him by the waist.

 

Obviously, Jin blushed. “What took you so long?” Namjoon pouted a little. Jin, nevertheless, chuckled teasingly. “I had to complete your work, mister president,” he said, emphasizing on the ‘Mister President’.

“And is it complete?” Namjoon asked, pulling the elder closer. How the heck did he get so brave and dominating all of a sudden?

Jin gave a meekly nod.

“Good,” the younger (but clearly the ‘seme’ of the relationship) stated. And he pulled the elder, slightly shorter male, in for a kiss.

It wasn’t visibly breath-taking. Nor was it hot and steamy like those make-out scenes from those romance movies. (Exactly what kind of movies do you watch, Jin?) But it was perfectly fine for Jin because it was sweet and nice and satisfying.

“Aren’t you glad you confessed to me?” Namjoon joked as the both of them pulled back with dumb smiles plastered on their faces. Jin rolled his eyes but laughed melodiously. He now knew the reason why he liked Namjoon. Because he was, simply and adequately put, Kim Namjoon, the guy whom Jin fell in love with effortlessly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was P.E period and things couldn’t get more awkward.

Jimin was quiet for the first time in his life and Yoongi didn’t do anything to make the younger complain about anything. Both Namjoon and Taehyung gulped loudly. What was happening to the world?

“Jiminnie hyung,” Taehyung called out. The said boy turned and asked what was wrong. “The teacher told us to do warm ups,” Taehyung said.

Jimin knotted his eyebrows a little on seeing the handsome dongsaeng’s face. It looked different. Sad. But he didn’t say anything about it because he was currently facing problems of his own.

 

 

“Suga hyung?” Namjoon asked, “Anything bothering you?” Yoongi turned to the speaker and gave a quick shaking of his head. “I’m fine,” he replied and stood up to do warm ups for the upcoming dodge ball competition to be held against a group of four people.

 

The P.E teacher blew his whistle after exactly five minutes. He announced the rules. “You’ll be divided into groups of four. But no one is on your side, got it?” He, of course, noticed the surprisingly quietness and decided to single out the YoonMin couple.

“Trouble in paradise, kids?” he commented at the awkward YoonMin couple who were standing on either ends of the line. The students snickered including Taehyung and Namjoon. Jimin turned tomato red in the face while Yoongi looked confused.

“You mean me and this shorty here?” he blurted out, a little too loudly. Jimin’s embarrassed features disappeared almost immediately. “Who the heck are you calling “shorty”?” he shouted back from the end of the line. “Is your lack of height affecting your brain too? Of course I’m calling you shorty,” Yoongi said back.

The students continued to chuckle and giggle. The teacher meanwhile sighed heavily. He should NOT have brought up the YoonMin couple in the first place.

“Yah!” he yelled, catching everyone’s attention. The teacher was known to be a fun loving man so they weren’t really scared. In fact, they were looking forward to how he would punish the YoonMin couple. After all, he always had creative and fun ways of punishing people (no pun intended).

“For giving me my usual headache,” the teacher said, pressing his forehead with his fingers, “The two of you are on the same team. Along with Taehyung and Namjoon.” He turned to the orange head male and the ivory haired president to give a pitying ‘all-the-best-with-the-devils’ look.

Taehyung’s mouth fell open immediately. What did he do to deserve this? Namjoon had a similar expression.

 

 

To call it a game among four people was definitely a lie because what started with a game meant for four people quickly turned into a fierce battle between the YoonMin couple. Initially, the game started with Taehyung aiming for Jimin. The cute faced hyung caught the red ball easily and threw at Namjoon. The president caught the ball without letting it slip. He then threw towards the eldest person in the group who resorted to giving a fast ball at the orange haired male. But as fate would’ve had it, his hand slipped and it fell short, hitting Jimin in the torso instead of the 4D prince.

Taking the mistaken hit as a challenge, Jimin picked up the red ball and threw as hard as he could to the unprepared receiver.

The now deadly ball hit Yoongi square in the stomach making him groan.

That’s it! You’re dead!

 

Taehyung and Namjoon took deep gulps and stepped out of the courts. The once friendly game among four people was no longer that obviously. After the ball rolled away because of a short throw by the elder, the two contenders picked up the lying basketballs in the corners and gave their full swing at each other.

“Hey! Hey!” the teacher shouted and blew on his whistle loudly. He ran up to the bruised boys and slapped their heads before pulling on their ears like little kids.

“What do you think you’re doing?” the teacher asked in a warning tone. By now the other students refrained from their game and turned to the commotion.

Jimin winced at the pain and complained that Yoongi started it. Yoongi scoffed and retorted that it was an innocent mistake. “The ball fell short and hit him! And this idiot took it as a stupid challenge!” he defended himself.

The teacher sighed tiredly. Seriously, these two would give him white hair before turning thirty-five.

“I don’t care. The two of you are cleaning this up as a punishment,” he said and let go of the two boys’ ears. “After school. You don’t go home until you’re both done,” he added.

“But…” Jimin tried to speak while Yoongi only groaned loudly. The teacher gave a final death glare at the two culprits and made them shut up.

 

 

 

The hatred in the room was thick enough to be cut by a knife. While Jimin cleaned one side of the courts, Yoongi cleaned the opposite side. The two occupants of the room didn’t bother to share a single word and continued with their work. Well, at least Jimin tried to finish his work as soon as he could. Yoongi, on the other hand, kept shooting baskets because he got bored after picking up the first seven balls.

The younger decided that it was best to ignore the annoying boy in the room so he didn’t say anything. But seeing that the elder was nowhere near done, he cleaned parts of Yoongi’s side as well without a single word.

Yoongi, if he noticed, didn’t even say a monosyllabic word of thanks to the hardworking dongsaeng. Instead, he simply continued to shoot basketballs into the basket, earning the victorious sound of the swish of the net every time the ball passed through the basket.

Jimin rolled his eyes as he finally decided to speak. “Do your job properly, will you?” he said, “I wanna go home quickly.”

Yoongi paid no heed and continued to shoot baskets. Jimin groaned, clearly annoyed and pissed. But he just continued to clean the courts, be it his side or Yoongi’s side. Nothing was going to get in his way of going home, away from the monster in front of him, apparently.

 

After finally finishing, he wiped the dripping sweat from his brows. Then he noticed that the elder but lazier occupant of the room was calmly seated in one of the benches, spinning a basket ball in his hand.

“Are you finally done?” he heard the elder say much to his annoyance. Jimin gritted his teeth and refrained from speaking. Instead, he headed towards the exit as he draped his school bag on his left shoulder.

 

“Took you long enough,” Yoongi commented again with an evil smirk. He would definitely be lying if he said that annoying the younger was not pleasurable. He too headed for the exit when he noticed that the slightly shorter lad before him hadn’t moved an inch since he reached the door.

Now curious, Yoongi took several steps and passed Jimin only to see the most speechless scene in his life (Not as speechless as the moment he found out about YoonMin but it was close).

They were locked in the school court room.

 

 

Thirty or so Minutes Later:

 

“Why must it be you?” Jimin whined and looked at the door as if his glare could open it. Yoongi rolled his eyes for the umpteenth time. He had already gone through his bags and Jimin’s and there was nothing that he could use to pick the locks with. Apparently, neither of them used any hair pins.

 

“Why the hell do you need hair pins?” Jimin had asked when Yoongi had first asked him. Yoongi answered as if he was saying that he was going to grab a bite to eat. “So that I can pick the lock, you idiot.”

Jimin scrunched up his face in disbelief. “Where the hell did you learn how to pick locks?” he asked.

Yoongi rolled his eyes. please, who doesn’t know how to pick locks? “God given talent,” Yoongi made a snarky reply and checked his pockets and bag. Nothing. He eyed Jimin’s bag too after which he yanked it off earning a high squeal from Jimin. Nothing there too.

 

 


“Of all the people, I had to be locked up with you,” Jimin continued to whine and complain. Yoongi sighed. “I got you the first fifty times, . Now will you please shut up?” he asked not so politely. Jimin pouted and sat down beside the door. They had tried calling out for help, banging on the door and even shouting at the top of their voice (this was purely Jimin’s doing) but nothing seemed to work.

Yoongi tried one last time to search for anything that could be used to pick the lock. He found a few substitutes for his hair pins. A pen, an eraser and a wooden pencil. The elder in the room sighed in defeat. What the heck was he supposed to do with these?
 

“I’m gonna be dead if I come late,” Jimin complained again earning an exaggerated sigh from the other occupant in the room. “You said that already, kid,” Yoongi replied sharply and unscrew the cap of the pen to get to the plastic refill. At least he was getting somewhere.

 

Another five minutes passed and Jimin was nowhere close to stopping his complains. “Why were we locked in? Is the janitor deaf or something?”

“I don’t know,” Yoongi replied in a tired sigh. His concentration was fully given to the lock before him. His small yet focusing eyes stared and locked his gaze on the small piece of machinery and after another second, something clicked.

“What…” Jimin began to say when the working man shushed him rudely. “Genius at work, shut up,” he simply said. Jimin scoffed in a completely disbelieving tone.

 

Yoongi broke the refill right from the middle and shaped one into a recognized shape. The other, he kept it that way and later on bent it at the tip. Now we’re talking!

It was not the perfect tool, even Jimin noticed but that was all they got. So Yoongi, before beginning his mastery at lock picking, turned to Jimin with all seriousness and asked for the only thing he required right at that moment.

“Shut up or else I’m gonna kick you, got it?”

And with that, Yoongi bent down to the lock and got to work; not giving Jimin even time to reply or make a comment. He slowly slid in the refill into the lock and began his masterpiece.

 

Three minutes in and Yoongi could feel the final point which needed to be pressed and then turned towards the left so that they could go free. He was probably exaggerating but the elder swore that he could feel that the world was on his shoulders. If he failed, the whole world would collapse. (Jimin’s world would because his mom would really kill him if he came back home late but Yoongi didn’t care for this trivial matter.) Yoongi even felt the whispers of the people of the earth in the back of his head. (Again, it was probably Jimin but who cares!)

 

 

Jimin, meanwhile, wasn’t very keen on Yoongi’s brilliant lock picking idea. The tools aren’t right, are they, the younger and more ignorant one reasoned. So when he saw Yoongi give his hundred and five percent to opening the door, he couldn’t help but find it amusing if not a little sad.

I swear I’ll treat him to lunch if he manages to open the door, he mused.

Then five minutes passed. But to Jimin it seemed like an hour.

 

Almost there, Yoongi said and knitted his eyebrows in full concentration. He began to turn the compartment ever so slowly and…

“How much longer…” Jimin groaned.

SNAP!

And that was how one half of the refill shaped like a wrench broke into two. Yoongi looked in shock at the two falling pieces of the refill. Jimin, meanwhile, didn’t even notice.

“This is taking too long,” Jimin complained. Yoongi gritted his teeth and got ready to lash out on the younger.

Preparing the fiercest look, he turned to face the culprit. “Yah, Park Jimin,” he said in a thug like stature.

“What?” Jimin said rudely, even putting out his chin to challenge the elder.

“Didn’t I tell you to shut up? Now our only chance of getting out is ruined,” Yoongi growled. Jimin faked a laugh like one of those high school cheerleaders. “So now you’re blaming me,” he said in an non approving tone.

“I told you to shut up, didn’t I?” Yoongi said, his voice growing louder.

“Like that would’ve helped. It’s your fault we’re even stuck here,” Jimin spat back. Yoongi scoffed. “How the is this my fault?”

“If you had just done your work diligently, the work would’ve been completed on time. And I would’ve been on my ing way home by now…” Jimin was on a roll now. Yoongi, however, wasn’t very impressed by the younger’s reasoning.

Why won’t you shut up, dammit? His mind muttered in annoyance. But the younger didn’t comply with his thoughts. Jimin’s husky and squeaky voice continued to ring in Yoongi’s mind endlessly and frankly, it was making Yoongi go insane. He had to shut the black haired baby face up. So he did the only thing that came to mind right at the moment. And it was more effective than kicking him in the groin.

“I said shut up!” Yoongi said and pulled the male before him in by the neck for a fierce kiss.

 

A fact suggested that even if you felt no sort of attraction to a person in any way, if you were forced into kissing a person, there is a high chance that you will feel something. A tiny spark at the most.

But in both Yoongi and Jimin’s case, all rules were defied. Because they didn’t feel that tiny spark. Heck, they didn’t feel even a small twinkle.

Instead, what they felt was a thousand volt worth of electricity pass through them.

The elder male, obviously knew what this meant. But the younger (and the one whose power of denial was way, way stronger) didn’t. So he shoved Yoongi away, very rudely breaking off the sudden lip locking match.

“What the was that for?” Jimin shouted really high pitched. His face was flushed and red but his words indicated no sign of nervousness. “You ing retard, you can’t just…” Jimin said but all words went in one ear and went out the other.

Yoongi, on the other hand was too shocked to even blink. He had never felt that before. And he didn’t know if that feeling could be considered legal or not because it was just too…

Wanting to find out if that feeling wasn’t just his imagination, Yoongi grabbed the swaying arms of Jimin and in a swift action, pulled him in again.

“…The hell… Mmpf!”

Jimin’s struggles proved to be pointless as the elder held him so tightly that he couldn’t even breathe. Oh wait, that’s because of this sudden and totally uncalled for kiss.

Once again, Jimin broke off the kiss and this time, he decided to keep it broken off by slapping him.

Yoongi head ached. And it wasn’t because of the painful and throbbing slap that Jimin had just given him. He turned to the shorter male before him only to be shell shocked to see his eyes welled up on shining tears.

 

The lock of the door clicked and both the boys in the court room heard a loud cough from an old-ish man. “What are you kids still doing here?” the janitor asked in surprise to see the two students facing each other with all sorts of seriousness on their faces. The fairer skinned one had the mark of a red palm across his face but he looked too surprised to notice the pain while the shorter one had tears in his eyes and he was biting his lower lip so hardly that the said body part could tear at any moment.

 

Jimin picked up his bag in one swift motion and ran out of the room without even sparing a glance at the one who just ‘ually harassed’ him.

“The school gates close up soon son,” the janitor said, choosing to ignore the ongoing drama that was freshly unveiling in the room. Yoongi nodded absently and picked up his school bag from the ground. As he walked out of the room after thanking the janitor for unlocking the door, the janitor asked what seemed to be reasonable.

“Did you and your boyfriend get into a fight?”

Yoongi stopped dead in his tracks and traced his plump red lips with two of his forefingers. With another blank look, he replied. “Yeah. Kind of.”

 

 

 

 

“I hate literature,” Hoseok whined as they reached Taehyung’s doorstep. Out of the blue, the elder boyfriend offered to drop Taehyung off to his house. And unable to decline the sweet offer, Taehyung let him.

Taehyung chuckled a little. Typical.

“It’s interesting if you pay attention to it,” he replied like the smart that he was and reached for the door knob. But he was a little late as it opened from the inside.

“Oh, Hoseok ssi,” Mrs. Kim said in a surprised tone. Hoseok bowed respectfully. “Good evening Mrs. Kim,” he wished. Taehyung’s mom smiled widely. “Dropping off Taehyung, I see,” she stated and fixed her gaze on Taehyung.

“I swear, you’re spoiling him,” Taehyung’s mother said and offered both boys into the house. “Mom,” Taehyung whined childishly. The act was adorable, and everyone in the house knew, including Taehyung himself. “Stay for dinner, won’t you? I’m just on my way to the grocery store to get some tomatoes and lettuce. It won’t be long.”

 

Both Taehyung and Hoseok made their way up to Taehyung’s room while waiting for Mrs. Kim’s return. “Wanna spend the time making out?” Hoseok wiggled his eyebrows and sat down on the carpeted floor of Taehyung’s room. Taehyung rolled his eyes dramatically, all thoughts of his secret ghost of a friend currently diminished.

“Just tell me what’s so hard with Literature. And I’ll help you with it,” Taehyung replied and sat down in front of Hoseok with his legs neatly folded. Hoseok groaned. “Why did I choose a geek as my boyfriend?” he complained and fished his bag for his literature text. Taehyung chuckled. “You tell me, hyung.”

Taehyung should’ve figured from the start that having a study session with his restless boyfriend would prove to be a failure. Even the facts from the movies prove that. So after only five minutes of going through one verso of a poem, Hoseok leaned in to kiss him. And Taehyung allowed it.

“Hyung,” Taehyung said in between the desperate kisses that he was getting from Hoseok. “Wait,” he tried to speak out but the lips on his were preventing from making him do so. Second by second, Hoseok fully leant in and pushed Taehyung to the ground.

Taehyung tried to lose himself in the kisses. He really did. But all he felt were empty and wet kisses coming from a person whom he used to think that he was in love with.

His eyes suddenly stung again and he felt the urge to cry.

Taehyung’s brown eyes sprung open to hear a startled “Oh !” A loud and sudden intake of breath followed and Taehyung shot up, letting Hoseok fall onto the ground. He recognized that voice. And it didn’t belong to his mom.

“Jungkook,” he said and saw the red haired boy in the middle of the room right above them. Talk about awkward.

Jungkook gave off a nervous laugh. “Well this is certainly awkward,” he stated even though it was obvious.

“What just happened?” Hoseok said and sat up beside the now disheveled orange haired male. Thankfully, he didn’t hear Taehyung call out Jungkook’s name.

The said orange top’s gaze shifted from the ghost in the room to Hoseok, his very real and very alive boyfriend. “I…” Taehyung said, trying his best to make a plausible and realistic sounding excuse to explain why he just ditched him in the middle of a make out session.

“I’ll leave…” Jungkook said and disappeared in the blink of an eye. Taehyung’s stare returned to the now empty space in the middle of his room where Jungkook had just stood over.

“Taehyung,” Hoseok called out lovingly. “What’s wrong?”

Taehyung refused to look at the speaking male and looked at the empty void in the middle of his room. He didn’t want to answer Hoseok. He didn’t want to be with Hoseok at the moment. In fact, he didn’t want to be with Hoseok any longer.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Taehyung answered softly holding back whatever feelings he had. “I just thought I saw something, that’s all.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was eleven in the evening and the merry go round in the children’s park right around the corner creaked noisily even though the wind wasn’t blowing. To the normal person’s eye, the mysterious turning of the merry go round may have seemed a little creepy if not scary and frightening. But little did the normal people know that on one edge of the merry go round sat a very depressed ghost who had just witnessed, a few hours ago, the person he loved kiss another person right in front of him.

Jungkook crossed his legs and sat in a meditating position, unaware that his unstable emotions were causing the merry go round to spin.

I am dead, he reminded himself. I shouldn’t be affected by these.

The ghost closed his eyes and started to hum a strangely familiar tune. He may have heard Taehyung sing it or he may have heard it in his past life. But right at that moment, he didn’t care. Because his hums disappeared with the howling wind.

 

 

A/N:

I have nothing to say...

Except...

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment, criticize and give me any pointers on how to make this story better,,, <3