Chapter 6 - Swap

A Complicated Regard

Taehyung groaned, unhappy with his current outfit.

“That’s the seventh shirt you’re trying on, hyung,” Jungkook stated, amused at the elder’s agitated state. Jungkook recalled Taehyung’s answer to his question before.

 

 

 

“You already have him as your boyfriend, hyung. Why must you go to all the trouble of dressing up so fancily? Doesn’t he know how you normally dress by now?” Jungkook asked, bouncing on the bed (actually on the air but details, details).

And even though Taehyung was busy searching for a perfect shirt to go with his skinny jeans, he answered the curiosity of the spirit in the room. “Even so, I want to look my best for him. He likes it when I dress well,” he replied and picked up a grey shirt.

 

 

 

Jungkook shrugged his shoulders and continued to stare at his flustered hyung. The date was in an hour or so but his hyung was still hyperventilating like a girl on what clothes to wear.

“Jungkookie,” Taehyung asked in a distressed tone. “Help me!”

Jungkook laughed. “Fine. But you’ll have to do exactly as I say. No complaining.” Taehyung nodded desperately.

 

And so, Jungkook scanned through his hyung’s cupboards and shelves for a plain white t-shirt which he found on the top shelf. Taehyung wasn’t very impressed. “Just wear it!” Jungkook said and continued to examine the room for a sweater or something of the sort to go above it.

“There it is,” Jungkook said and pointed at the only jacket left hanging on rack. It was a dark, almost black colored jacket which Taehyung had forgotten it had ever existed. “Are you serious?” Taehyung said picking up the piece of clothing. “This isn’t very fancy,” he whined but put it on.

“The dress doesn’t matter if the model is confident,” Jungkook replied and suddenly knotted his eyebrows at the familiar words. Taehyung laughed and failed to notice Jungkook’s sudden change in facial expression. “Where’d you get that line? It sounds like something from Paradise Kiss.”

 

Paradise Kiss.

It’s an anime, Jungkook’s brain spoke. And he understood it. But there was this tinge feeling in his stomach that made him recall a feeling of dislike. What was it? Did he dislike the characters of the anime? Was he not a fan of the anime itself? He couldn’t quite pinpoint his sudden feeling of detest but he knew that it had something to do with the anime.

 

Unable to rack his brains any more, he just gave Taehyung a smile. “Yeah, I think I remember Paradise Kiss,” he said. “Anyway, this looks good,” he said taking in a full view of the orange haired boy in front of him. He nodded to himself and looked around for a particular something. And he found it.

Eyeliner.

 

 

“I look weird,” Taehyung said, turning to the mirror.

“No you don’t. It compliments your body. Besides, white brightens your eyeliner covered eyes,” Jungkook said with a wide smile. Okay, he would definitely have to think later on how he knew so well about dress combinations and eyeliner but for now, he was busy admiring his handiwork.

Taehyung had to admit. He did look good. So he smiled. But it disappeared in an instant. What am I doing?

“Now go,” Jungkook said, pushing Taehyung away. “Your prince charming awaits.”

“Right,” Taehyung immediately returned that toothy grin on his face. “See you later,” he wished. Jungkook waved back. Yeah, see you later.

 

 

Jungkook turned his back to the door. Wow, the room was a mess. He was half tempted to clap his hands and call for a maid but he recalled that Taehyung’s house didn’t have any maids.

“Maids?” he said to himself. Why did he have the sudden feeling that he was familiar with maids and butlers?

“Was I a rich kid when I was alive?” he asked himself, taking a look at the mirror. But as expected, there was no reflection. His mind then drifted off to Taehyung and how good he looked before. And Jungkook felt something in his stomach. Churning and somersaulting of some sorts but the feeling was definitely there.

 

 

 

Hoseok waited near the mall for his boyfriend. They hadn’t been out together in a long time so he was looking forward to this day. His initial plan, since he suggested the date, was to do some window shopping, go watch a movie and have a late lunch later on. Yup. But the plans flew right out the window the minute he saw a boy with tuft of orange hair in the crowd. Furthermore, the plans decided to do a world tour when Hoseok saw what Taehyung was wearing.

“Sorry I’m late,” Taehyung grinned on reaching Hoseok.

“Yah, Kim Taehyung,” Hoseok said, a little dramatically. He clutched his shirt around the chest to indicate his heartache. “What happened to “let’s take things slow”? Are you seriously trying to seduce me into bed right now?”

Taehyung blushed and slapped Hoseok’s shoulder. “Shut up!” he sassed. But secretly, he thanked Jungkook. Hoseok liked his new style.

 

 

 

 

 

Namjoon cleaned up his desk dejectedly. He couldn’t find his lyric book anywhere. Damn, where could he have kept it?

Earlier than morning, he had assumed that his lyric book was in the school since he couldn’t find it anywhere at home. But surprise, surprise! It wasn’t at school either. Which meant he wasted a perfect Saturday going to school. Ugh!

Just as he was about to walk out of the student council room, he heard a familiar voice call out his name.

“Namjoon?” Jin called out, surprised to see the president at school on a Saturday. “What are you doing here?” Namjoon was equally surprised, if not a little delighted.

“Hyung, why are you here on a Saturday?”

Jin smiled and handed him a thin, red hard covered notebook. “My notebook!” Namjoon exclaimed and took it off of Jin’s hand.

“It was in my bag. Did you pack it in my bag by mistake yesterday?” Jin said, placing his hands on his hips like a typical mother.

Namjoon thought back. There were two bags on the desk yesterday so when he packed his lyric book into the one on the left without checking… Oh!

“I was planning to keep it on your desk but well,” Jin chuckled. Namjoon too found himself smiling. Leave it to Jin to make Namjoon’s life easier.

“Did you write the ones in the book?” Jin asked, his curiosity piquing. Namjoon’f face flushed red. “You went through it? Hyung, that’s not fair! I wouldn’t go through your diary if you had one,” Namjoon complained. Even he was amazed at how much of a baby he was behaving like.

“They’re good,” Jin giggled, fixing the piece of hair that was standing up like a branch of a dry tree. “I liked the one titled ‘Jump’,” he said, smiling brightly, a little too brightly for Namjoon’s eyes.

“I had help on that one,” Namjoon muttered shyly. “But thanks for liking it.”

 

“You’ve got talent, Kim Namjoon,” Jin stated obviously. And he added, “As if you didn’t have enough already.” Namjoon scoffed, feeling a little proud and well, confident.

“Anyway, I’m gonna head home now,” Jin said, that eye blinding smile never leaving his face. “I’m glad I got to see you though,” he continued carelessly.

“What?” Namjoon interrupted. Did he just say that he was glad to see him?

“I mean… heh heh!” Jin chuckled nervously, “I didn’t mean it in any weird way…”

Namjoon felt a shiver down his spine. Jin was glad to see him. And so was he.

“Hyung,” he said, giving his dimpled lady killer smile which could win over anyone (including Jin). “As a thank you for returning my book, could I treat you to some coffee or something now? Since we’re both free and everything. I mean, if you want…”

Jin’s eyes widened in surprise and excitement. But he pushed those feelings down because he’s just grateful for getting back his notebook. It’s not a date or anything, Seokjin. Don’t get your hopes up too high.

“I would love that, Pres.”

 

 

 

To call Jimin a good boy would be an understatement. He was the ideal son. He always did his work on time, he never got into trouble at school, he was hard working and he was polite and funny (Of course, except when it came to a certain someone). All in all, Jimin was the exact opposite of a certain someone.

He was so different from this particular someone that even the north and south poles of the earth would cower in shame before their difference.

So he didn’t understand something. Why on earth was he out in the sun, on a wonderfully pleasant Saturday, watching this particular someone play basketball with the other kids in the neighborhood?

Oh yeah, Jimin thought, Min Yoona happened.

Min Yoona was Yoongi’s adorable and lovable younger sister. She had smooth white skin (like her brother, which Jimin never bothered to notice), naturally dark hair (again much like the brother, but the same reaction from Jimin) and delightfully shaped squinted eyes (once again, exactly like the brother but… what do you really expect from Jimin?).

To make things short, Jimin adored Yoona. He had since they met when they were kids. He felt like a protective older brother to her and felt the need to help her in any way. So when she asked him to join her in watching the love of her life play basketball on that warm afternoon, he couldn’t say no. Not even as he was returning from the grocery store, picking up necessities like sugar, salt, and what not. Little did he realize that she had an obsessive brotherly complex and considered her older brother her hero and one true love.

 

“Yoona,” Jimin called, dreading every second of saying yes to the fifteen year old girl. But the girl wasn’t listening. She was too busy cheering for her ‘god-like’ brother who had just scored a basket, again.

“Jiminnie oppa,” she said finally, turning to the cute baby faced male beside her. “Isn’t he just awesome or what? I have the best brother in the world!” Jimin resisted his urge to hurl.

“Oh yeah,” Yoona giggled. “You don’t like him very much, do you?” Her tune seemed too mischievous for Jimin to ignore. “So you understand me?” Jimin asked, finally relieved that someone understood his hatred for Min Yoongi.

“Sure I do. I’m Min Yoona, the amazing Min Yoongi’s younger sister. I understand everything which relates to my brother,” Yoona said and muttered under her breath, “Especially his love life.” Jimin asked curiously, “What was that?” But Yoona quickly cut him off. “Nothing!”

 

The players soon decided to take a break from the game. And Yoona couldn’t be happier. She handed Jimin a bottle of water, telling him to unscrew the cap so that she could serve her brother.

Jimin gingerly unscrewed the cap and waited for Yoona to grab hold of the bottle to give it to her ‘indefinitely fantastic’ brother. But she was a little pre-occupied taking in Yoongi’s ‘flawless’ style that she just spaced out.

The holder of the bottle sighed and decided to let the girl have her weird worshipping session about her brother. Until his gaze caught his grocery bag. Didn’t he buy some salt?

And he smirked.

 

“Oppa, oppa!” Yoona bounced up to Yoongi and handed him the ‘ever so slightly’ murky bottle of water in her hands. “Omo,” Yoongi teased. “Such a loving sister. But aren’t you tired and feeling hot from watching oppa play under the sun? You should’ve brought an umbrella or a sun hat or something.” The players snickered teasingly. Yeah. Under all that cool and cold attitude, Min Yoongi was a er for his younger sister.

“I’m fine. I have Jiminnie oppa with me,” she said and pointed at where Jimin was sitting. “And we were sitting under a shady tree so don’t worry.” One player, who was a little new to the neighborhood, turned to see the cute faced boy rocking back and forth under the tree, patiently waiting for Yoona to come back.

“Yoona ssi, is that your boyfriend?” he asked. Yoona quickly denied. “No way. He’s like a brother to me,” she said before quickly muttering, “Yeah, a brother-in-law” under her breath. And she snickered mischievously. The said player, whose name, Yoongi remembered, was Kidoh, then said dumbly, “So is that Yoongi ssi’s boyfriend then?”

The other players said nothing but hid their amused smiles. Yoongi’s aura immediately turned dark on hearing this. “Say that again and I’ll kick you so hard you’ll never be able to have children,” he threatened and glared at Kidoh. Kidoh weakly apologized and walked away awkwardly.

 

 

“Why are you even with him?” Yoongi asked, bringing the bottle close to his mouth to have a sip. “From the looks of it, he seems to have gone grocery shopping. Don’t bother others, Yoona.”

“But I’m not bothering him,” Yoona pouted.

Yoongi spat out the huge gulp of water he had almost swallowed. It was saltier than the Dead Sea (Not that he tasted the water from the Dead Sea but he was pretty sure that the water he just drank was saltier). Immediately, his lethal glare turned to the sickeningly innocent looking boy under the tree.

Yeah, there was something as hatred till infinity and beyond.

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook looked at the clock. It had just been three hours since Taehyung left for his date. But it felt like ten. Sighing dejectedly, he tried to rethink back on what he had figured out about himself that day.

One. He belonged to a rich family. Because he often had recollections about huge rooms, chandeliers, butlers and maids and people addressing him as ‘Sir’ or ‘Master’.

Two. He was an only child. Mostly because he had never felt that ‘sibling vibe’ come off of him.

Three. He was a smart kid, almost at the level of a genius when he hadn’t become a ghost. This was evident because of the things he remembered about Taehyung’s school work.

Now if only he remembered what his last name was and it would be swell. If he just remembered his last name, the young ‘almost-genius’ figured, the earlier he would figure out his unfinished business and the earlier he would get to pass over.

Then again, being a genius that he was, he noticed the strange bubbling feelings of loneliness along with other very new feelings that he had never felt before when he thought of leaving the elder at whose house he was freeloading. It was subtle, not like what he had seen in the movies and almost calm. But he wasn’t disappointed with them.

Yup, he was starting to fall for the elder for no particular reason at all. And there was no reason required actually.

Because he’s him and I’m me, he remembered himself say before. And right at that moment, he wished that he was alive so that he could, maybe, have a shot at wooing the elder. So that he could at least show off his charms to win the elder over from that Hoseok guy. So that he could make Taehyung fall for him too.

But who was he kidding? He was dead. There was no way a ghost could be together with a human. Sure there were movies and animes about it; Jungkook remembered a few. But they were all they were. Movies. So he thought better and decided to keep his growing feelings buried like his physical body.

 

 

 

The door to Taehyung’s room suddenly burst open and in walked a happy looking Taehyung.

“I reckon the date went well?” Jungkook said with a never faltering smile. Taehyung nodded. “He liked the way I dressed and he couldn’t get his eyes off me. Thanks a bundle,” Taehyung replied and sat on this chair. Jungkook floated across to him and gave a big smile. “That’s great. Now,” he said, face turning into an unimpressed and annoyed one, “Clean your room. It’s still so dirty from your little dress up game before.”

Taehyung whined but stood up. He muttered something about a bossy and demanding ghost. Nevertheless, he began picking up the clothes on the floor and across the table.

 

In truth, it wasn’t only Jungkook who did some thinking. Taehyung was also preoccupied with his thoughts about the ghost that he failed to give his full focus on Hoseok on their date. But Hoseok didn’t notice him, being too busy with the events of the date and Taehyung’s (mind you, Hoseok is NOT a ert but he was just a little, should we say, ‘carried away’).

Taehyung felt a tinge of loneliness during the whole date. And at first he thought, why would he be lonely? He was in the middle of town with Hoseok, his ever so perfect boyfriend, in a hustling crowd of people.

He wasn’t the type to compare people with each other but he came to a sad realization that Hoseok wasn’t Jungkook. He didn’t know why but he wanted to spend more time with Jungkook. And maybe help him find out more about his previous life.

But then another realization hit him. What if Jungkook remembers everything and he passes over then? Taehyung ended up shaking his head in denial. No, Jungkook doesn’t remember anything. He won’t for a couple of days. Since when did Taehyung become so attached to Jungkook?

 

 

“So, hyung? Did prince charming at least offer to walk you home?” Jungkook asked, startling Taehyung in the process. “Huh?” Taehyungn asked, not realizing what Jungkook had just said.

“Hoseok hyung? Did he walk you home? Did he kiss you romantically when the two of you were about to separate?” Jungkook asked slyly.

Taehyung knitted his eyebrows suspiciously. “What kind of movies did you watch when you were alive? Coz that strangely sounds like a sappy romantic movie.” Jungkook laughed as his question went unanswered.

 

 

“Hey Jungkook,” Taehyung said after a while, letting go of all the clothes in his hands. He walked up to the younger and pulled him into a hug. “Thank you.”

Jungkook felt like his heart was about to burst, that was if he actually had a heart. But at that moment, he felt a thumping in his chest. He smiled. Maybe ghosts have invisible, non-existent hearts too, he thought and replied that he was welcome even though he wasn’t sure why Taehyung was thanking him. It must be because of the clothes, his mind said and he complied with it.

 

There it was. The spark that Taehyung was fearing about. The lost spark that Taehyung searched for when Hoseok had kissed him earlier when he walked him home. The lost spark that had once been in the kisses that Hoseok showered him with. But it had been missing from Hoseok’s kisses ever since Jungkook came along.

The lost spark was definitely back that time when he hugged Jungkook. And he immediately knew that the spark returned because he was starting to feel something towards the ghost.

Feelings of sympathy?

No. It wasn’t sympathy.

Apathy, then?

Nope, that wasn’t it either.

Love? No. It couldn’t be love because he knew nothing about the ghost. How could he feel love for someone that he barely knew and is, well, not alive?

Some sort of regard? Yes, that sounded a little closer to what he was feeling.

But it was complicated.

A Complicated Regard, then, his brain came up with the words. And he accepted it.

 

Or maybe that was not the case at all. Maybe the spark he felt while hugging Jungkook was completely different from the lost one. Maybe the spark that he felt just then was the result of what had happened.

Taehyung pulled away because he felt the coldness of the ghost’s skin on his body. And to his surprise, he saw an amazed looking Jungkook in front of him, in a completely different set of clothes. Well, not completely different set of clothes. It was the exact outfit that Taehyung had been wearing at that moment. He had on the white t-shirt with the dark jacket over the shirt and a pair of black skinny jeans with black sneakers; the exact same outfit that he Taehyung wore on the date. It was a little big for the ghost, but Taehyung had to admit. It looked good on him.

“What the hell happened?” Jungkook asked, half smiling, half horrified.

“We swapped clothes,” Taehyung laughed, more out of surprise and amusement than happiness. “Yeah, I can see that,” Jungkook replied. “So a close body contact between us leads to me having a whole new set of clothes,” he said, looking at Taehyung who was wearing the same set of clothes as him.

“I guess so,” Taehyung continued to laughed. If this happened to normal people, they would’ve stormed out due to confusion and shock. But Taehyung wasn’t normal. And it was like Fate knew that.

“As if this couldn’t get any weirder,” Taehyung said referring to his ability to see, hear, talk and touch a ghost. But he was too busy laughing to care. Jungkook wasn’t very amused. He wanted to know how this had happened.

“You must be freaked out of this whole mess,” Jungkook said with a sad look in his eyes.

“Yeah, I am,” Taehyung admitted obviously, still laughing.