Chapter 5 - A Simple Touch

A Complicated Regard

Taehyung sat near the kitchen table. In front of him was a bowl of cereal in milk. His hand loosely held the spoon but he swirled it around like the food didn’t matter. Instead, he had a nauseating look on his face. He cringed even as his spoon swirled around the bowl.

Behind Taehyung was Mrs. Kim, preparing the morning food. She hummed one of those 80’s songs and normally, Taehyung would have enjoyed his mom’s melodious voice but not that day.

“Could you stop that?” he whispered, indicating his speech to the ghost who, a few days ago, found out his name to be Jungkook. The ghost, Jungkook, stopped poking his hand through the bowl of Taehyung’s cereal. He had his head leaned down on the table, although he wasn’t exactly touching the table.

“It’s making me lose my appetite,” he whispered. Taehyung should’ve known that a ghost could not possibly touch anything so everything Jungkook tried to touch should pass right through his hands. But he didn’t think that the sight would be a little weird if not a little nauseating and off putting.

“What was that?” his mom suddenly asked. “Are you sick, Tae-ah?”

Taehyung quickly turned to his mom. “No, I’m fine,” he replied. Jungkook gave an apologetic smile as Taehyung stood up and went up his room along with the bowl in his hand.

“I’m sorry,” he said in his normal voice, if not pouting a little. He turned to Taehyung’s mother who seemed a little worried about her son. “I promise I’ll leave soon, Mrs. Kim,” he said and floated up the stairs to Taehyung’s room.

 

 

 

 

“I’m really sorry,” Jungkook said, seeing that Taehyung had finished changing into his school uniform. The fair skinned ghost had to admit, Taehyung looked good in that uniform. If you were into that weird, a little pathetically cute look with the naturally messy (orange) hair and dark (slightly) droopy eyes around the corners, Jungkook snorted.

“Forget about it,” Taehyung replied, fishing some books from his study table into his school bag. He kept muttering something about home economics, English and something else related to school. But in reality, his mind raced faster than a horse whose tail was on fire.

 

 

Taehyung tried to be mad at the ghost. No, really. But he couldn’t. And it got him curious. Why could he not get mad at the ghost? He could get mad at anyone if he wanted (like all human beings), including his ever so loving boyfriend (Yes, Hoseok was sweet and perfect but he was just too restless at times). So why couldn’t he get angry at Jungkook?

Being a curious boy, Taehyung pondered about this topic the past few days. And he came up with two theories.

One. He was scared of the ghost. He had watched way too much horror movies to know the consequences of pissing off a ghost.

Two. He had sympathy for the ghost. A mere feeling of pity, Taehyung had brushed off. After all, the boy was dead. Why make his remaining life harder by angering and annoying him, right?

 

You just pity him, Taehyung reminded himself and looked around his room for his missing literature note book. It was behind a clueless looking Jungkook, on the bed. Why on earth was Jungkook even looking so clueless?

“What’s wrong now?” Taehyung asked, leaning down beside the translucent floating boy in front of him. He must have miscalculated the distance between their shoulders because right as his fingers were about to reach the book on the bed, his left shoulder brushed Jungkook’s right shoulder.

He had to run through that again. HIS LEFT SHOULDER DID WHAT?

 

 

Jungkook looked at Taehyung, hoping that the orange haired boy would forgive him for, well, being a ghost. He heard the taller say that he should forget about it so his shoulders eased down a little. But suddenly, he heard another voice in his head.

“You shouldn’t do anything to embarrass the family, Jungkook,” he heard a woman’s voice say. It was a little sharp and strong, the voice. Jungkook was sure he had heard it before.

 

 

 

Suddenly, pulling him out of his daze was Taehyung’s deep voice. “What’s wrong now?” he had asked him while leaning down beside him to get to something on his bed.

Being a ghost meant that you couldn’t touch anything. You couldn’t feel anything, in the physical sense, of course. Everything around you was cold and hollow and just plain airy. And even your body was cold. Of course, Jungkook knew all these. He didn’t know how but he did. He did have vague recollections of scenes from movies which indicated that ghosts were cold, physically.

But right as Taehyung bent down, he felt something warm touch his right shoulder. It was only for a moment but Jungkook felt it. He would be an idiot not to feel that sudden warmth (more like heat).

 

 

 

Taehyung turned to the ghost, his eyes wider than an owl’s. Even Jungkook was surprised but his reaction was not like that of Taehyung’s. Instead, the shorter smiled a confused smile until it turned complete gleeful. He even let out an astonished laugh.

“You can touch me!” he said.

Taehyung’s mind stopped working due to the shock and repeated Jungkook’s sentence dumbly. I can touch him.

Jungkook continued to talk. “Do you know how good that felt?” Clearly, his emotions were overflowing disabling him from checking his wordings.

“I haven’t been touched in God knows how long. I didn’t think it would feel so warm. So nice…”

 

 

Taehyung’s mind was instantly warped back to the present time. Yup, Jungkook’s weird and strangely sentences brought him back alright. Feeling a blush creep up (more like slam right against) his cheeks, he decided to do what seemed like the most important thing at that moment.

Breathe.

 

So what if he could touch the ghost?

 

Yeah, no. That sentence was weird enough as it was.

 

“I,” he said, really confidently. “I have to go.” And just like that, Taehyung ran out the door, quickly slamming the door behind him.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoongi walked past the corridors, heading for his class, humming a rap. “Who the hell even hums a rap?” was what Jimin would’ve said but Yoongi ignored that annoying voice in his head. And hold up, why in friggen hell was he even hearing his enemy’s voice?

Upon crossing a turning in the main corridor, however, his footwork automatically stopped and he backed up immediately.

Because in the distance was Jimin, that annoying kid who always well, annoyed him. And in front of Jimin was a girl. Holding a prettily decorated box in her hand. With ribbons and frills on top. And was that an attached letter on the side?

Yoongi smirked. Oh, this should be fun.

 

 

 

Jimin was touched. No really. He thought that scenes where girls confessing to guys in such a cute and shy way were only possible in mangas and animes. But here he was, standing before a decently cute girl who looked more nervous than a lamb, receiving a box of strawberry cake (his favorite, by the way) and a letter of confession on the side.

It was just too much for Jimin. He wasn’t particularly attracted to the girl but the scene made him feel a little giddy and excited. (Yeah, Jimin. Real manly there).

But everything went spiraling downwards the minute he heard HIS voice.

“Oho! What do we have here?”

Jimin gritted his teeth. Did God (or Buddha or the gods, you get the gist) really hate him that much? Suddenly, to his utter surprise, he noticed the girl visibly shaking in fear.

 

Before Suga could actually reach the two lovebirds in the hallway, the long haired meekly girl began to apologize frantically.

Jimin tried to ask why she was apologizing but he only got this.

“I’m so sorry. I never should have tried to come in between the two of you. Please don’t send the mafia after me, Suga oppa. From now on I’ll stay in the sidelines and support the two of you with my all. I’m so sorry,” she said and backed off with everything in her hands.

Both Suga and Jimin had blank confused looks on their faces. What the hell just happened?

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Student Council sat in the council room to go over the weekly activities. Each of the members faced the snow haired man in the front and listened intently.

Namjoon tried his best to speak with authority and he was doing one heck of a good job at it. No wonder he was elected the president. With all that smartness and cool charisma, it would be hard to find a flaw in this walking perfection. But being Kim Namjoon, he did have flaws. And a big one at that. And there was where Seokjin (or as I’d like to call him, his other half) comes in.

“So you see, we have to submit the list of clubs in the school along with names of the club members to the vice principal by this week. So far, we have a total of…” he paused for a second. His eyes scanned the table for a particular blue colored register. Where the heck did he keep that register? And how could he have misplaced it when his table was so neatly cleaned by Jin?

 

“Under your left hand, Pres,” Jin whispered softly. Namjoon quickly nodded and saw that the register was indeed under his left hand on the table. Namjoon quickly continued, “Nine clubs who have submitted their details.” He flipped through the pages.

The students in the room wrote down some information as Namjoon continued to talk.

 

“Also, the sports committee head, Joon Minhwa?” he said and turned to Jin only to be given an appreciative nod. The mentioned member replied with a yes.

“There are reports that the football club has been bullying some juniors. Please see to it immediately before it is taken to the teachers.”

After a few more announcements, the members sat down, analyzing the data and instructions on their respective tables. However, they couldn’t help but feel a little awkward for disturbing a particular couple’s ‘honeymoon’.

 

“Is Joon Minhwa correct?” Namjoon asked, whispering into Jin’s ear in fear of offending the owner of the name. Jin nodded with a proud motherly smile. “I still can’t believe you’re so good in everything but your memory in almost everything,” Jin whispered back and sighed. “You are really hopeless without me,” he teased. Namjoon pouted (only a little, though. Coz no way in heck was the others supposed to see the ever so great Namjoon’s cute side).

 

The room’s temperature suddenly seemed to drop by a hundred degrees. It was true that the other students saw unicorns and rainbows and bubbles and flowers and happiness (how the hell does someone see happiness, like literally?) and all that around the two people in the extreme front but they could not help but feel guilty for ruining the ‘newlyweds’ alone time. And while some of the students metaphorically vomited out rainbows to see the cute sight, others coughed awkwardly and guiltily.

 

Namjoon’s gaze turned back to the other students. Why did they suddenly look delusional all of a sudden?

He cleared his throat. “So yes, please submit the necessary details of your responsible departments latest by Thursday, got it? Now, I’m late for class so…” And with that, he grabbed his books and walked out with Jin following him.

The remaining students (including the male body) continued to drool at the live-action fluff that had just taken place. If only they knew, they all wished.

 

 

 

“You seem distracted lately,” Hoseok said as he kissed his boyfriend’s lips. They were on the school roof. Both students had free classes so, there they were, cozily giving each other sweet pecks on the face. But Taehyung wasn’t his usual clingy self. And if anyone noticed, it was his boyfriend.

“Do I?” Taehyung asked, smiling that smile that everyone loved so much, including Hoseok. “Yeah,” Hoseok answered, planting another kiss on Taehyng’s soft lips. “What’s wrong?”

I’ve been babysitting a ghost, Taehyung thought. But that sounded silly beyond reason.

“Nothing really. I’m just… a little preoccupied,” he said slowly. “I’ve got a lot of things going on at home.” Like babysitting a ghost named Jungkook who seemed like a diva at first but turned out to be quite cute and friendly.

“Alright then,” Hoseok said, grinning wider than the Cheshire cat. “You know, we haven’t gone out in a while,” he suggested. “What say you we go out this Saturday and get your mind cleared a bit?” He wiggled his eyebrows. This was exactly why he loved his boyfriend. It was like Hoseok had a weird yet satisfying solution to every little problem Taehyung had.

Not that Jungkook is a problem, he quickly corrected. Which, again, got him to thinking. Why wasn’t Jungkook a problem? He IS supposed to be a problem. I mean a ghost with amnesia hanging around me just because I can see him? That’s definitely a problem. But why wasn’t he feeling it?
 

“Taehyung?” Hoseok called out, his voice filled with curiosity and a little bit of worry.

“Huh?” Taehyung jumped out of his daze. “Sorry, did I do it again?”

Hoseok simply smiled. “That’s fine,” he said and kissed Taehyung, this time deeply and lasting longer than all the previous kissed they shared that afternoon.  Taehyung smiled into the kiss and forgot everything that was bothering him.

 

 

 

 

On returning home, Taehyung found the ghost lying on his bed. His eyes were closed so did that mean that Jungkook was sleeping? And wait, since when did ghosts sleep?

 

Taehyung scratched his orange head. Why didn’t he have the heart to wake up the freeloader?

“Tae-ah!” his sister called out loudly and let herself in the room. Taehyung almost screamed at his sister to not disturb the sleeping boy but he quickly bit his tongue. He’s a ghost, Taehyung, he reminded himself. Aejin noona can’t see him.

“What?” he growled, angry at the fact that the sleeping boy had stirred a little.

“What’s got your in a bunch, bro?” Aejin said, suddenly aware at her brother’s hostile attitude. “I just wanted to ask if you could help me with my wi-fi connection.”

“Yeah sure,” Taehyung quickly agreed, hoping that his elder sister would get the heck out of his room. He didn’t want the sleeping male to wake up just yet.

But to his utter horror, Aejin fell to his bed on her back, passing through the boy like nothing. Jungkook awoke with a startle and quickly jumped out of the bed.

“Woah,” Aejin commented. “Why is your bed so cold?”

“Could you please get out, noona?” he said, not so kindly. Aejin shrugged her shoulders. “Fine, mister grouchy pants,” she teased and got out of the bed and out of the room.

 

 

“I’m sorry,” Taehyung apologized unsure of why he was even apologizing. “That’s fine,” Jungkook said, fixing his muddled hair and smiled. This sight, to Taehyung, was better than watching any anime any day.

“I’m sorry for running out like that earlier. I was just a little freaked out,” he said and walked closer to the shorter male. Jungkook’s eyes widened a little. “What are you doing?” he asked, suddenly aware of the closing distance.

Taehyung placed both his hands on Jungkook’s cold shoulders. He shivered a little but smiled. “I won’t do that again,” he assured.

The randomness was killing the both of them but they both continued on the topic.

“Okay. Don’t take this the wrong way but you’re so weird, hyung,” Jungkook laughed but suddenly stopped himself.

Hyung.

The word slipped out of his lips so comfortably. Why did it sound so natural calling him hyung?

Taehyung too noticed the sudden honorifics. “How old were you when you died, Jungkook?” he asked, looking into his companion’s brown eyes. The air became colder suddenly and the seriousness in the room could be felt from a mile away.

Jungkook tried hard. He couldn’t remember an exact number but he had this gut feeling that he was younger than Taehyung.

“I…” he began to say when Taehyung suddenly broke out into a smile. “That’s alright. Just call me hyung then. It sounds good, don’t you think?”

Jungkook knotted his eyebrows confusedly. Nevertheless, he smiled. “Alright.”

 

 

 

A/N:

I think the next few updates will take a while...  But even so, I'll do a double update the next time...

Feel free to comment, subscribe and upvote... Love you all...

(I watched BAP's Where are You? video a few days back and I am just dying... So please understand...) *wink wink*