Chapter 4 - 'John Doe'

A Complicated Regard

“Let me get this straight,” Taehyung said, pinching the bridge of his nose. “You need my help to finish your unfinished business or whatever but you don’t know your own friggen name?” He was already annoyed at the fact that he could already see the ghost. Why oh why did he have to have more problems?

The ghost, for the first time since Taehyung met him, looked scared and, well, like a normal person. He was speaking only incoherent sentences.

“I don’t...”

“My name...”

“What is...”

Then Tahyung felt a change of heart.

Taehyung felt the strange urge to comfort the spirit before him. It WAS bad enough that the kid was dead. And Taehyung didn’t want to make it harder for him by being insensitive.

“Hey,” he said, scooting down on the chair near his study table. “Just relax. I'm sure you'll remember. Calm down for a second.”

The ghost seemed very human like at that moment, gasping in for deep breaths and cracking his knuckles in anxiety.

“Just tell me all that you remember,” Taehyung decided.

The ghost nodded and opened his mouth. But nothing came out. Taehyung didn’t like where this was going.

“I don’t remember anything,” he said and sat on the edge of the bed. Why couldn’t he remember anything at all?

 

 

Taehyung was now worried. Did this mean that the ghost would stay with him till he remembered his past life or something?

 

 

“Cold,” the ghost suddenly said, breaking an awkward silence of pure thoughts. “I’m sorry?” Taehyung asked and saw that the ghost was trying to remember something. “It was cold. I remember waking up from what seemed to be like forever.”

“Good,” Taehyung said to his own surprise. How the hell was that good? It didn’t make any sense for starters. “See? You're getting somewhere.” Alright, where the hell was this comforting aura coming from?

 

“I'm really sorry,” the ghost suddenly said surprising the live person in the room. Taehyung swore his eyes had been widening too much ever since he met the pesky ghost. But he couldn’t help but be surprised. “Why are you sorry?” Taehyung asked.

“I'm so stupid. I....” he began but Taehyung cut him off.

“No you're not,” he found himself saying. What the hell as he saying? And where the hell were all these words of kindness coming from? Was he seriously trying to behave like he knew this ghost his whole life?

“You were smart enough to deduce all those things by just taking one look at my closet. So I'm guessing you were a smart kid when you were alive. And you had the decency to accept the fact that you are dead, no offence,” Taehyung said, looking at the ghost. The ghost listened intently and shook his head to indicate that he didn’t mind. “And basing from your uniform, you died in this century at least,” he concluded. The ghost gave a small smile.

“Are you some sort of genius or something?” he asked Taehyung, not really wanting an answer. Taehyung shrugged his shoulders somewhat proudly. “I'd like to think so, yes,” he replied, an equally adorable smile on his brightening face.

 

 

 

Taehyung knew that he was quite popular in school, and he wasn’t bragging. It must have been because of his excellent grades or it must have been because he was dating one of the school's heartthrobs. Whatever the reasons were for his popularity, he didn’t really care. But he just knew that he was popular for some strange reason.

 

However, he never would have thought that he would be popular enough to make acquaintance with a ghost.

 

Kim Taehyung never doubted for a second the existence of ghosts and spirits and such (Okay, vampires were a little overrated and so were werewolves. Other than those, he was in support of the existence of everything else). But he never ever, in his nineteen years of a perfect life, would have though that he would come across one.

 

“So,” Taehyung said, trying to break the gloom and awkward feeling. “Do you think you’re gonna stay with me for a hundred days or something like that? And you know, disappear after that?”

“Are you seriously suggesting that this situation is similar to that of an anime?” the ghost turned to Taehyung, clearly unimpressed.

Taehyung smiled to get an interesting. “See, you do remember some things. You remember a good anime,” Taehyung said and the ghost joined in. “Ginban Kaleidoscope,” he said, recalling the name of the anime. “I think I watched it recently. A few days before I died.”

It wasn’t an ideal time to be impressed with a ghost. Nor was it ideal for Taehyung to start having a sort of respect for the ghost for watching animes. But he was doing just that at that moment.

 

 

The clock chimed ten after what seemed to be like just minutes after Taehyung came up to his room. “You should get some sleep,” the ghost said, beginning to float from the bed. Taehyung wanted to ask what the ghost would be doing in the meantime but he refrained from it. They had only just met so he didn’t want to seem a little clingy.

What the actual hell am I thinking? He thought and replied that he would indeed go to sleep. Why on earth would he be clingy towards the ghost? He didn’t have any reason to be clingy to him, did he?

 

Taehyung walked out of the bathroom only to see a very empty room. It’s not empty, he said mentally to himself. It had always been like that.

 

 

 

It wasn’t fair to the other people that the most good looking people in school always walked together and had to be best friends (Well, excluding Suga and Jimin). They had this whole different aura about them. And it was almost possible that they walked in slow motion whenever they walked down the halls.

 

Let’s do a little side track narration about these people to fully understand their positions in the school.

 

Hoseok was the school’s slacker. But after he became the ‘whiz kid’s’ boyfriend, his grades seemed to skyrocket. Everyone praised Taehyung for helping Hoseok but it was really all Hoseok’s doing. He was always a bright kid. He just never really had the enthusiasm to work hard until Taehyung told him one day.

In reality, when the students found out that Hoseok had asked Taehyung out and when Taehyung said yes, some students went in mourning for several days. But eventually, they decided not to do anything about it because they seemed like the best couple in the world. And this wasn’t an exaggeration.

For ‘NamJin’s’ case, the students were intimidated by their mere aura of being the president and vice president. Kim Namjoon was the perfect father figure – strict but understanding. Smart but modest. And Jin was the ideal mother – he was kind but pushy. At the same time, he was encouraging but often nagged the students to do something or the other. They didn’t know themselves but some students were already of the opinion that the two were married because they seemed so happy to be with each other.

‘YoonMin’s’ case was a little different. It wasn’t a secret that Jimin was by far one of the most hardworking students in the school. While Yoongi, a.k.a Suga was as lazy as they could get. It never ceased to amaze everyone that even though their methods for anything and everything would be different, their results always turned out the same. Be it grades, talents, height (you have to admit that they were of similar height).

And besides, it also wasn’t a secret that these two hated each other from the cores of their mischievous, if not frightening hearts. But like typical fan girls, the female body couldn’t accept reality and just let ‘YoonMin’ go. So when one ‘member of the YoonMin club’ suggested the notion that their relationship was like that of Misaki and Usui from Maid Sama (Gosh, how many otakus existed in this school?), everyone agreed on it. They believed that they were in love with each other but were too stubborn and proud to admit it, especially Jimin. And thus, YoonMin was sailed officially (not) as an OTP shipping.

(There were even rumors that YoonMin was the ‘most experienced’ in the ‘angry ’ department but that has no connection with me describing them.)

 

 

 

Oblivious to all the rumors, Taehyung continued to like his boyfriend a lot, often initiating skinship in front of hundreds of students. Hoseok didn’t mind considering the fact that he was worse than Taehyung. Jin and Namjoon continued to behave like shy newlyweds and Suga and Jimin, like always, quarreled and bickered for even the silliest reasons.

 

“Those cookies weren’t meant for you, Park idiot,” Suga said, glaring at the ‘sickeningly cute faced boy’. Jimin was too busy stuffing his mouth with the delicious chocolate chip cookies that Hoseok had made for Taehyung.

“That’s alright,” Hoseok laughed. “Thank goodness I made loads.” Taehyung laughed. He really needed this. After all the confusion and drama the previous night, he needed some normalcy. Even if that meant him receiving cookies from his ever so perfect boyfriend.

“Hey Tae-ah,” Jimin said, wiping the corners of his mouth clean and completely ignoring the elder ‘frighteningly pale’ boy glaring at him. “Where’s NamJin?” he asked. Taehyung didn’t have to think twice to understand that reference. “Student Council duties,” Taehyung replied and took a bite of one of the cookies.

And while the trio continued their conversation, Suga desperately tried to control his anger regarding Jimin’s behavior. Why was he such a baby? Why couldn’t he wipe his mouth clean after eating like a pig? Why did Jimin have to be so annoying?

Standing up abruptly, he threw a tissue at the baby faced male. “Yah, clean your mouth properly, you worthless piece of ! It’s annoying!” Jimin looked in shock at the older. Why, of all the people… Why, of all people did Min Yoongi have to call him a ‘worthless piece of ’? “Go get a life, ,” Jimin replied sharply. Yoongi controlled from lashing out at the younger (But seriously though, why was he so pissed?) and smirked an evil smile. “You’re ruining it,” he replied.

Hoseok sighed. Every single time…

Taehyung laughed aloud to see the usual fight. It was hilarious…

 

“Hello,” the ghost greeted Taehyung as soon as he came back home. “I thought we agreed you stay in my room,” Taehyung whispered and took off his school shoes and changed them with slippers.

“Tae-ah?” his mother called out from the kitchen. “Is that you?”

Taehyung shouted out that he was back and that he had some homework to complete. “Shouldn’t you greet her properly?” the ghost said, following Taehyung up the stairs. Taehyung didn’t reply. He had always been like this so he didn’t think that what the ghost said was necessary.

“How was school?” the ghost asked. Taehyung knitted his eyebrows as he closed the door to his room behind him. “Are you serious?” Taehyung asked but saw that the ghost looked like a curious little puppy. Sighing in defeat, he replied, “School was fine. Everything went perfectly normal.”

“Oh. Okay.”

Taehyung loosened the thin dark blue tie hanging loosely around his neck. “So did you find out what your unfinished business was?” The ghost hung down his head in shame. Or at least that was what it looked like to Taehyung.

Noticing the silence, Taehyung asked again if he had found out his name or not. It didn’t come to the room occupants’ realization that the one asking the questions was slowly ing his shirt.

The ghost answered slowly. “I don’t re… WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?” He shouted out, seeing the boy in front of him undressing so casually.

“Crap,” Taehyung quickly pulled back his shirt, his face suddenly growing red. “I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to do that. I’m not a ert, I swear,” he said as fast as his tongue could. The image of the orange haired boy’s lean torso was now etched in the ghost’s mind.

Covering his eyes with his left hand, he fought down the blush on his cheeks. “I don’t. I didn’t think you were a ert. You just surprised me, that’s all,” he said, not facing Taehyung anymore. And of all the things that Taehyung could think of, a swift thought passed his mind.

He looked quite cute when he was blushing.

Shaking that thought out of his head as soon as it formed, Taehyung quickly said that he needed to complete his homework or something. “Yeah,” the ghost replied, his voice cracking out of embarrassment. “I’ll go… haunt someone or something…” he said and disappeared.

“Haunt someone?” Taehyung chuckled but quickly reformed himself. “Homework, homework,” he said out loud, trying to distract himself from what the ghost had said.

 

 

“You know,” Taehyung said as he leaned back on his wooden chair behind his study table. By this time, the ghost had returned from “haunting someone” and was sitting in a meditating position on the floor. Taehyung had completed his homework and he was feeling tired. And he saw that six o’clock in the evening was still a little too early to go and raid the refrigerator. So, he decided to make conversation with the loose soul in his room.

“We should give you a name,” he said. The spirit opened his eyes, looking confused, if not annoyed and a smidge bit interested. “I’m not a pet,” the ghost replied sharply, his icy cold glare now finding their way to Taehyung’s dark orbs.

“I know but you don’t remember your name. It’ll be weird to simply call you ‘ghost’ or ‘mister ghost’. So what do you say?” Taehyung said, his boredom clearly getting the better of him that he wasn’t even paying attention to what he was saying.

After a minute or so of hesitation, the listener finally gave in.

“Good. Now, I was thinking Grover,” Taehyung said excitedly. The ghost cut in quickly, “Again, I’m not a dog.”

“Mark?”

The audience shook his head and made a face.

“Minhyuk?”

Another no.

“Lili?”

“Isn’t that a girl’s name?” came a quick reply.

“Daejung?”

Another shake of the red hair.

“Hana?” Taehyung said.

“Flower? Seriously?” the ghost replied, raising an eye brow.

“Fine then!” Taehyung finally said, throwing his hands up into the air. “It’s settled. You’ll be called John Doe?”

The ghost wasn’t the least bit impressed. “John Doe?” he asked but Taehyung took it as curiosity. “Yeah, John Doe. You know, like the patients in hospitals whose identity is unknown…”

The ghost had to cut in. “I know what ‘John Doe’ means. I just…” He suddenly stopped talking and stared off at nothing.

John. That name sounded strangely…

 

All his senses numbed down all of a sudden. He could feel his body becoming colder by the minute. Colder and colder until he heard a voice. It was muddled but he made it out.

“Master Jungkook! You’ll be late if you don’t get up now,” a woman’s voice called out.

Several other voices followed.

“Jungkook, you won’t want to embarrass your mother now would you?” a man’s voice said. It was a little coarse but it had a husky tinge to t. Also, the voice seemed concerned and worried.

“I don’t have time, Jungkook,” a woman’s voice said, this time sharper and voider of emotions.

“We can’t have you slacking off, Jungkook, do you understand?” a different voice said.

 

The ghost realized that each one of these voices was saying different things, probably related to his past life. But they all had one thing in common. The name ‘Jungkook’.

 

 

“Hey John Doe?” Taehyung waved his hand in front of the ghost’s blank face. The ghost snapped out of his daze and took in a shaky breath while blinking rapidly. The temperature returned to normal.

 

“Are you alright?” Taehyung asked. “You spaced out all of a sudden.” The spirit didn’t reply.

“Okay,” Taehyung said awkwardly. “So anyway, as I was saying, what do you think of John Doe?” he continued, hiding the obvious concern for the slightly smaller framed boy.

 

“I… I remember my name,” the ghost said, fixing his concentrated gaze on Taehyung. Taehyung had to admit, it made him feel a little intimidated and thus, weak.

“It’s… It’s Jung… It’s Jungkook.”

 

 

 

A/N:

Miss YuukiHikari, this one's for you... Enjoy... *wink wink*