VI: Revolution

Boys over Flower II: Eternal Love

 

 

Many days has pass and Young Saeng already forgotten the conversation he heard and he is with Kyu Jong at the Event site working on their launching stage.

They’re spotting every single detail when the barricade of the stage collapse and three men were hurt. Young Saeng hurriedly runs to help the three to move them out to the accident area and giving them a first aid.

“What are you doing, Young Saeng?!” asks Kyu Jong angrily.

He stops first to look at him, “Can’t you see, I’m helping them.”

“We have nurses around here to approach them; you don’t need to make a scene.”

“They are our concerns because they are our workers and I can’t keep myself up calm if I know that I am capable to help them. So please, if you want me to piss me off do it later not now because we have injured men.”

He already applied first aid to them before the medic came for help; they just sent them to the hospital for further checkup.

Yoon Jihoo was there, seeing all what had happen and actions taken by his employees and also the Kim brothers. He finally decided to do what is on his mind. He calls Jungmin’s phone to ask the Kim brothers to his office today and he proceed after the call ended.

 

He was there, seating on his big black swivel chair with his wide melancholic style table. While the two brothers walking towards him, Kyu Jong feels something strange as Jihoo looking at them emotionless even though he always look cold. When they were in front of him, Jung min excuses his self and left the room for privacy. Minutes pass as quietness remains before Jihoo let them sit on a chair and they proceed but Kyu Jong still feel uneasiness as the atmosphere never change. He thinks that it might well if he will talk first to explain about the accident happen but Jihoo do the ice break.

“I saw everything and that’s enough to make a decision for both of you.” Jihoo says.

What?! He examined us today? Kyu Jong thought.

“A-about the accident happened earlier---“Young Saeng says but Kyu Jong in.

“I’m sorry for what had happened earlier. We all know that there’s always accidents happen in that kind of activity but we will do our best to control the situation, chairman.”

“You do the right thing, Young Saeng. Good Job for helping your men without hesitant...” He did not mind what Kyu Jong said.

“But after what I saw, it made me decide what I should do to both of you.” Jihoo open his drawer and pulls out a plane ticket to Taipei—for one person only.

They were both surprised as they get what Jihoo wants to relay to them but Kyu Jong insist that they still have an opportunity to show how well they are—the examination that he told them last time.

“It’s already done. Now choose which among you will go to Taipei and one will assign as acting-president. Only one will remain on my side.” Jihoo declared.

He still cannot believe that they fall to Jihoo’s trap; that he wanted them to separate from each other but he need to do an excuse to be stay together.

“Hyung, you know that I’m the only person who looks to my younger brother. Please don’t do these to us.” He pleaded even it is against his will to plead. Young Saeng was surprised as he knew that Kyu Jong never plead to anything and guilt run to his nerve.

“Hyung, please… let us stay together.” Young pleaded too as his brother do.

“You choose or I WILL.” Jihoo demands.

They are still worrisome as to what to do when Jihoo give his order like steel. “Then I will—Young  Saeng, pack up all your things. Be ready tonight because it will be your flight. This talk is off, you may go.” 

Young Saeng’s hand stretch to get the ticket when Kyu jong stops him by holding his wrist.

“Are you still insisting to what you want?” ask Jihoo directly to him.

“Yes, chairman. Please hear my plea.”

“How can you prove yourselves, if both of you were in the same boat but one drives you down?”

“We still can prove that you’re wrong.” Kyu jong insist.

“Really… but--- it is YOU who’s messing with him.” Jihoo says without hesitation.

Kyujong suddenly felt ice poring all over his body as he heard those striking word.

YOU—that words repeating over and over again.

He feels dizzy and tries to grip into the chair not to breakdown.

What is happening? How could this be?Kyu Jong thought as the tears flow voluntarily as what he feels now.

Silence filled the room when Jihoo’s phone rings, “Excuse me but I need to answer this call.” He stood up and walks out the office to answer it. There, Kyu jong left behind in teary eyes looking at him with distrust and hatred.

“Mianhae, Hyung… Mianhaeyo…” that’s the only word Young Saeng says to his brother and hug him to comfort. He really feels sorry on what is happening to him and he knows how miffed the words to his brother.

Meanwhile, Jihoo is talking to his caller.

“I am not responsible whatever she do.”

“Sir, she’s searching for you.” The caller replied.

“In medical profession, a feeling or concern towards the patients is not tolerable. Why you allow this kind of treatment and why should I deal with these?” he then disconnect the call and sigh.

“Why do I always fall into this kind of dilemma?” he murmured while dialing to make a call again.

That night, they are just waiting for Jihoo and Young Saeng is packed up to go to the airport but Kyu Jong was still stun and completely unobtrusive. This make Young Saeng feel anxious toward to his brother and choose to go on his side to comfort him again.

“Hyung, he just wants us to stand to our own feet and maybe… maybe he knew that I am burden to your work if I’m going to stay with you along.”

“Are you deaf? Or just ignoring the real thought of what he said? It’s not YOU---it’s ME!” Kyujong says hastily.

Young Saeng held his hand, breathes deep and tries to calm him down, “Let’s take it as it is. But I don’t want you to have a hard time getting what you want while protecting me from those people who wanted to pull us down just to get the position that Jihoo’s offering to us. We made a deal that we will protect each other but the fact is—you’re the only one doing it all along. It’s my time to do the same as you do by giving you a chance learn the things that you wanted to do without me.”

Kyu Jong just takes breaths and hold him back to expresses that he understands him and on that moment, Jungmin came to fetch them for Young Saeng’s flight.

 

When they arrive at the airport, they saw Jihoo talking to a young woman pulling his sleeve like convincing him. The Kim Brothers glance at each other and draws query eyes to Jungmin but he just bows to express that he do not want to tell anything about it. When Jihoo saw them, he starts to ignore her and walks away. She reluctantly stops tagging his sleeve and follows him a look while going to the other side.

“Sorry, if I took so long and secedes our plan. Oh, Kyujong, I forgot to tell you that I and Jungmin will accompany him so you will go home by your own.” Jihoo says when he meets them halfway.

“I’m used to it.”

“Alright, let’s go to—” but they heard someone’s shouting “Honey” and when they look who it was, it was the girl who talked to Jihoo earlier. He looks dismay and continues walking but the girl is still shouting.

“Jihoo-ah… Honey” and everyone at the airport look at her and them.

He stops when she’s including his name now and then he looked at her indignantly.

 But even she saw his glary eyes, the girl shouts “Jihoo… Honey” three times!

He calls Jungmin and says, “Ask her to leave. If she insists, get her a seat and send her away from here.”

“Yes, Chairman.” And proceed to go near to the girl.

“She likes you but you’re pushing her away… wow! Hyung, is that what you called Appeal?  Or charisma?” he tease.

“Don’t jump to any conclusion. Let’s go.” Kyu Jong looked back and saw Jungmin convincing the girl to go and when the girl did not agreed what they are talking about, she was sent to the lounge and Jungmin went to the ticket booth.

It puzzled to his mind and thinks it over and over even the three went off to their destination. On his way home, the girls’ face flash into his mind and the way it smiled back to Jihoo then he felt sudden jealousy.

 

“How a man like him keep ignoring that kind of girl?”

He asked it to himself and went off to the street on his ways home.

When they arrived at Taipe, Young Saeng were left with the girl at the lounge while Jung min and Jihoo were talking to some ambassador they met along the way.

“A-annyeong hasseyo, noona…” greets Young Saeng.

“Annyeong hasseyo, Young Saeng-ssi. You’re Jihoo’s cousin, am I right?”

“Neh, he’s cousin. And you are?”

“Ha Ni… Jung Ha ni” she answers.

“HA-NI-ssi?? J-jung Ha Ni?”

“Neh… you look surprise. Is there something wrong?”

“Aniyo… No.. I mean, I thought h-he…you.. am… that he’s your Honey..” he grin and shyly hide his face.

She laughs at it. “So you thought I’m one of his lady? Hahaha!  The mighty Jihoo never laid his hand unto me. Omo! I just saved his life last two months that’s why I’m with him, you know… ogling around.”

“Save? When was it?”

“Well, two months ago when we met last night. He lost his conscious right on our medical mission tent so I helped him.”

“You really can’t help yourself stopping your tongue to spread some rumors.” Jihoo says to cut the conversation.

 

“Meryeong! It’s not rumor, it’s factual.”

 

He just looks at her and talks to Young Saeng.

 

“We’ll separate our flight for the meantime. I and Hani-ssi will stay here at Taipei in a week and you with Jung min-ssi will take off the flight to Macao then after a week go to Hong Kong to meet us, we will meet you there. Here’s the ticket.”

 

“ Waeyo? You said that I’ll be here at Taipei. Why we suddenly took another route?”  Asks Young Saeng confusedly.

 

 “Sir, are you alright to be alone?” Jungmin asks.

“Yes I can manage and surely I’m not alone, I have her.” He pointed at Hani “Just take good care of him for the meantime.”

“Yes, sir as you says so.”

“Wait! What’s going on? Why we have lots of route?” Young Saeng asks to them.

“You’ll know soon.”

Then they went to their own routes.

 

They rest at the hotel they reserved for them and on the second day of staying in Taipei,  Jihoo and Hani went to the clinic where Hani asked him to check his health.

“If you’re not going to take care of yourself, it will be a major case, for you and to your fiancé.” Says the doctor when they arrived in one of the clinic where Hani worked last year at Taipei.

“See. I told you before you’re not listening.” Hani says to Jihoo.

“Well... I may agree with it but not the word fiancé that they use for you.”

“Oh I thought you’re both couple. I’m really sorry; this is the first time Hani-ssi brings a man with her.”

He just coughs and looks to other side.

“Yah! Don’t tease us like that, Doc! Well, what advice we can get to our special doctor?” she grin while asking it.

“So how do you met each other?” ask the doctor.

“He fainted in front of our medical mission tent so I helped him.” Hani answered.

“You fainted?”

“Neh… m-may be because of exhaustion.” He said.

“Exhausted from work?”

“Neh…”

“Aside from it, I think depression.” Hani in.

“Depressed from…?”

“It’s not r-really d-depression…”

“Jihoo-ah! You’re a doctor too and you know that lying is not right!”

“Haniyah… you also know that you cannot force the person to tell what bothers them instantly. It really takes time to relieve that kind of emotion, right Jihoo-ssi.”

“…Neh…” a short answer that made Hani figure out that she’s right.

“Take this medicine to lessen the stresses that you have and this one is for prevention for your migraine. And also, take it as prescribed and don’t miss the day without drinking it.” Said the doctor

“Thank you.”

And Hani smile at them.

They went to a café and eat for lunch.

“We’ll go to the Philippines after a week and I have a client at Malaysia for another week. We’ll going to meet them at Hong Kong and I have no choice but go with you, kwenchannaeyo?”

“Arasseo, Yoon-ssi. I see, it’s a month travelling— waiiii!! How about my family? Lah! And the medical mission?? Ottoke?”

“You choose to be with me, you must face the consequence.”

“Yoon-ssi, can I borrow your phone, I’ll call my family just to tell them I’m not going back for a month.”

Jihoo give his phone.

“Gomawo…” then Hani dialed.

 

“appuji, Hani-ya is calling… neh, I—m a…” she crossed her fingers, signs that she’ll gonna lie. “I’m with the president of another medical mission group and we’re having bench marking to other country so I was c-chosen to represent our medical group… neh… appuji! A-a-nniyo! Don’t say that… here we go again… I’m just doing my job… aniyo… We shouldn’t have to argue this all over again…I’m not going to leave on what I had started… I’m not going to quit—“

 

Jihoo snatched the phone and when he’ll gonna talk, he heard her father saying:

 

“You cannot replace of what you’d done to your brother even you tried to be like him! Be back here or we’ll going to forget that we have a daughter!”

 

“Jung-ssi, I’m the president and we already in package tour so she cannot leave the group or you’re going to pay it in double.”

“So you’re the president… I don’t care if I’ll gonna double it just let my daughter leave the mission.”

“I’m sorry sir but she’s one of the best nurses we have and I cannot lose other professional personnel in our group. Goodbye.” Then a snap of end call and Jihoo walks away.

“Jihoo-ah…”

Jihoo stops and look at Hani.

“G-gomawo.”

“Don’t ever thank me. I have a reason why you’re with me.”

 

“Neh? What do you mean?”

 

 “I’ll have to discuss something before we go to Philippines.”

“Okay.”

They do what they planned; one week at the Philippines and straight to Hongkong to meet Young Saeng and his secretary.

 

It is almost dinner when they arrived to the hotel where the two stayed.

 

At Café while resting:

 

“Assistant Park, bring her back to Japan and meet  me in Indonesia.”

“Yes, sir. Do I need to show up to Sunbae Wong?”

“No, it’s not necessary. Come and leave Japan without knowing.”

“Arraseo.”

“…But how about me?” Young Saeng asks while he walks near on them.

“You’ll stay with me. We have something to do. Let’s rest for tonight and proceed to the plan.” Then he left to go to his bed.

“..But it’s already ruined, how come it is still on our plan?” he mumbles as he follows Jihoo.

“He have his own plan. Just rust him” Hani says to comfort him.

 

First day being alone hereKyu Jong thought.

 

He woke up early, took a bath and now he is choosing elegant apparels for his first work without them especially his younger brother.

He yields a long sighs of aloneness.

“This is going to be a tough work for me while I’m alone to achieve what I want here.  Haissshhh!!! Let my cousin enjoy every moment to that girl. Me? I’m going to control this company for my sake.” He said to his self while tying his necktie.

 “I’ll gonna find the culprit among this people and I’ll make sure that I am going to be their president and we will oust Jihoo here. He’ll see how Kim Kyu Jong plays and get along with it.”

That day, he meets Mr. Wong for the details that he’s going to do.

First he meets the managers of every department to announce that he’ll be the temporary head of the company according to the memorandum sent by the chairman while he is out.

At twelve noon, he went out for a lunch meeting with the ambassador to take over the promotion they offer to them.

Three in the afternoon, he manage to visits the event place to check the safety and if it’s passed the quality to continue the program.

Five in the afternoon, Kyu Jong rereads the files and documentation where Mr. Wong gave to him to understands the situation.

He often stays in the company late at night to continue working then he leaves the company and starts to read some documents again on his house. This went through that setting in three months.

 

One working day before seven in the evening, Mr. Wong knocks on his door.

“Come in.”

He come in and bows, “Sir, do you want to order a food for your dinner or do you like to go to a restaurant?”

“Which one my cousin’s prefer?”

“To be honest he always misses the meal time, sir.”

“He did not even take dinner at home when he arrives.”

“Neh but some of his time spends outside after going back to your house.”

“How about our staffs, do they already eat dinner?”

“They are waiting for you if you’re going to dismiss them for dinner or proceeds to meeting.”

“Alright then, I must go there to check them. You may go first Uncle Wong, I have my own plan.”

“Arraseo. Thank you, sir.”

Then he left.

Kyu Jong lowered his neck tie as he seat back to his chair, he open one button of his sleeve and went to the conference room where the staffs are waiting for him.  The door is slightly open and he heard them talking to each other.

 

“I’m a little bit starving.” says the girl employee.

 

“If he’s like Chairman-President Yoon, dinner-meeting will be a concept.”

“Yeah late dinner. It takes one hour before it served.” Says the tall guy to them.

“But the chairman acts so odd these past few days.”

“He’s too good to be true. I thinks he’s a villain also but pretending to be a saint.”

“But when he manages us, he gives fair compensation to us and not doing some late jobs everyday not like Mr. Goong does when he was seated as acting president in this branch.”

“Yeah, we even had a midnight meeting like this before but we’re discussing a nonsense report and telling us that the budget were not suffice to promote our branch”

“…And telling us that the Chairman-president is a big jerk which on the contrary, he respected us as much we expected.”

“Well are you not curious why our Chairman-president Yoon assigned Mr. Kim as acting president for now?” says Shimbo, head of Human Resource Department.

“Yeah. I’m curious too, Shimbo-ah. Is it you who manage the profiles of new employee about the Kim brothers? Tell us about them.”

“Sorry but the files that Mr. Wong sent to me was very limited information about them.”

“How come it’s limited?”

“No information about where they graduated and family background.”

“What else is included on their resume?”

“Their status is single and they are Korean Citizens too.”

“Is it your responsibility to scan new employee’s profile background?”

“Neh…” Shimbo answered.

“Ohh... He used his authority to hold one’s identity.” The other one concluded.

“Is that unlawful? He didn’t follow the codes of accepting new employee.”

“What do you think the reason behind of it?”

“Oh... I heard that he is so snooty and never spokes to girls.”

“Yeah I remember one day while the inspection in our department, one of the girl employee smiles at him seductively and says “Hi”. But he didn’t directly snap her instead he look to the man beside her and said, “Please take care of your coworker, her eyes looks so odd”.” then he sigh

“Aisshhh!!! Poor girl, I heard that girl cried after the inspection!”

“Is he…”

“We cannot conclude like that.” Shimbo says as he defenses the chairman.

“How about the first name he mentioned when we had our first meeting with him.”

“Neh, it was his name. Kim-Kyu-Jong-ssi.”

“He even gave thanks to him without particular thing.”

“They even looked straight at each other.”

“What do you think about our chairman-president?”  Shimbo asks.

Kyu jong simpers as he heard their conversation and where to go that conversation. He went inside to end it up.

“Eccentric.”

“N-neh?” asks them while surprised by Kyujong’s answers.

“You heard us, sir?”

“Yes. Are you asking each other of what you think about our chairman, am I right? That’s my answer.”

 “Is that all you heard, sir?” Shimbo asks.

“That’s all, Shimbo. Why, is there something more than that I didn’t hear?” he asks gleefully pretending he do not know what they are talking.

“Aniyo! Aniyo! Are we going to start our meeting, sir?”

 

“I’m starving and this is the first day in work without my brother, would you care to have dinner with me?”

 

They are all looking each other and waiting for others to answer.

“Us?”

“Neh.”

“Are you sure, Mr. President?”

“Neh… Am I going to invite you all if it is not okay?” he smile.

“Sure sir, if you say so.”

“Suit yourselves. And please, do not emphasize the word president; I’m still the KyuJong you knew at production department.”

“Arraseo.” they all answered.

He just saved Jihoo’s image he thought.

“You’re so lucky that I accidentally save your reputation. I just want to save mine.” He murmurs to himself.

“Sir, did you say something?”Shimbo asks.

“No nothing. Let’s go.” Then he smiles and they all go down at the canteen.

Every time that they have midnight meeting, they used to eat dinner with Kyujong before they proceed. Kyujong builds bond with all directors for more than a month and the employees are very pleases to see a hardworking man that mingles with them.

At Seoul:

Kim Hyung jun is assisting Dr.Geum when the phone rings, he answered it.

“Hello this is Yoon-Guem clinic, may I help you?”

“Can I speak to the doctor-in-charge in this clinic?”

“May I know the reason, sir?”

“The Yoon Company offers a free seminar for their assistant aide for development of good service to their client and we need their approval for the representative.”

“Wait a moment, sir.”

“Sure, no problem.” He hangs for a while to call Jan Di then she answered it.

 

“Yes, Dr. Guem Jan Di speaking… Yes… I got one representative…. on e-mail?... Ara… hmm… yes… when?... Arraseo… Chaenmannaeyo.” Then she hangs the phone.

“Hyung Jun-ssi, you’ll be the representative for this clinic. We will receive an online ticket to go to Japan and the form coming from Yoon Corporation.”

“When will I leave, Miss?”

“You still have one week to prepare yourself and sending the filled up form and additional documents for approval.”

“Arraseo.”

“Don’t forget your passport. Good Luck, Jun-ah! Fighting!” he smiles and go back to her patients.

 

One Sunday morning at Japan:

 

“It’s really worth to work with them.” He thought as he clean up the files on his table. He put it inside the drawer and stands up to go to the kitchen to make a coffee for him.

“It’s been a month since they’re gone. Why Young Saeng is not calling me?” thinking it while brewing the coffee.

 

“How many days is their travel period? Hmmmnn…”

 

He sniffs. Smells good He thought.

 

“I know Jihoo is on a business trip at Indonesia and China.”

 

He stirs and sips the coffee. He placed his cup at the table and sit on a chair to read newspaper.

Completely silence hover the room.

He stops reading for an hour and says to himself, “Aaisshh! Jihoo forbid my brother to call me…”

He put back the newspaper on the table and Kyu jong stares at the telephone.

But he insists and does the laundry. Around seven in the evening, he finished all the house chores and preparing for dinner when he spots the telephone again.

“Ani” he said to himself and eats his dinner.

About eleven in the evening while watching TV, he decided to call the hotel where Young Saeng stays.

 

He’ll never know,he thought.  He dialed.

 

Connecting…

 

“H-hi, is this Shillang hotel at Taipei?”

 

“Yes it is, sir. What Can I do for you?” the receptionist asks.

 

“May speak to Mr. Kim Young Saeng at Room L1203?”

 

“Wait a moment, sir.”

 

Silence.

The girl comes back.

 

“Sir, I’m sorry but they already checked out.”

 

“W-what? When?”

 

“…Less than a month, sir.”

 

“Less than a month?? But they said he was staying there for good?!”

 

“According to our record, Kim Young Saeng-ssi was never been here. They were Yoon Jihoo and a girl only.”

 

“B-but how can these be? They were supposed to be there? Can I talk to Mr. Yoon?”

“I’m sorry sir, but they already left this hotel too. They just stayed here for about four days and they checked out.”

 

“WHAT?!”

 

“The room for Mr. Kim Young Saeng was cancelled by Mr. Yoon Jihoo personally when he arrived.”

“I- I can’t believe this…”

“Is that all, sire?”

“T-thank you that’s all.” They both hang the phone.

 

His hand is shaking because of the intense he felt—Anger.

 

“YAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!”

 

He burst out and throws all the things that he sees and touches. He throws cups, plates, lampshades—all. Then he punches the mounted human-size mirror near the window. He punches it again.

And again.

And again until it breakdown and his hand fill with blood. All the pieces shatter all over the place and some of it fly nearly to Kyujong’s face and arms that cause a small wound on it.

He drop his body on the floor were all the pieces of mirror scatters around him and he stares his self on the remaining pieces on the wall with teary eyes.

“You jerk…” he mutters.

 

Monday, 6:50 in morning, the president’s office is still vacant and the employees wonder why the early riser president is late.

Half past seven, Mr. Wong arrives and asks his assistant why Mr. Kim is not around.

“I’m sorry sir but Mr. President’s phone is out of reach.” the secretary answered.

“Arigato.” Then girl went on to his work.

He called kyujong by himself.

The phone you are calling is out of reach you may leave a message after the beep.

He dials another number.  It was his penthouse.

Busy.

“He’ll come, I know.”

But two hours later Kyu Jong did not arrived. He decided to go to his house to check him if he is alright.

 

At dorm’s door, he knocks but no one answers.

 

“President Kim? President Kim, are you there?”

 

 He decided to go inside to ensure Kyu jong is there.

 

“President Kim, I’m’ coming in.”

 

As he enters the room, it was devastated and all things are broken and misplaced.

 

“Did someone rob this place? But it was locked?” he thought then he finally seeks for Kyu Jong.

He opens the bedroom’s door and saw some pieces of mirror on the floor and then he trails the stain blood, where he saw a bloody hand at the bed’s corner.

He ran towards on him to look who’s who.

Mr. Wong ‘s heart jumped out as he confirm that he was Kyu jong, laying down in the floor, shed with blood all over his hand and a wounded arm.

“Kyu jong-ssi! Kyu! What happen? Sir, what happen? Did someone knocked you off to rob?!  Please wake up!” he shook his body and then feels his pulse.

He cannot detect.

He lowered his head to check if he still breathing.

Positive, he is still alive.

 He gets his phone and dialed to call an ambulance. While waiting for the ambulance he heard Kyu jong whispers.

“Sir? Hang on, they will be here in any—” but he heard he whisper again.

“You jerk… I’ll beat you again next time, Jihoo…”

He sighs and pats his head.

“Young master Kyu, I hope you understand why your hyung doing this. You must trust him no matter what attitude he shows, you must understand him because even me who’s always there can’t figure out his actions nowadays.” Then he hugged him.