Desolation

Before I Let You Go

Ae Ri's eyes fluttered open to the unwelcoming smell of something burning. She jumped up in shock once she noticed the wisp of smoke entering her room. As she flung her door open, her eyes landed on Minseok. He was frantically moving around the kitchen, flabbergasted, as he frantically attempted to blow away the smoke. Minseok noticed Ae Ri standing in her doorwayand waved at her to help him.

"How could you leave things lying around where they could get burned!?" He yelled. "Hurry up and help me!"

Ae Ri crossed her arms and haughtily stepped in front of Minseok. She opened the windows in the kitchen before walking back to her room. The door slammed shut as she slipped away. Ae Ri knew exactly what day it was and she didn't want Minseok's in her apartment. She clenched her teeth when Minseok opened the door and stepped inside.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you." He started, "I didn't mean to make you upset."

"You could have just met me there." Ae Ri sighed. "I know I have to be there."

"I just wanted to make you something to eat." Minseok cleared his throat. "I made your favorite."

"I'm not hungry."

Minseok took a deep breath and stepped outside of the room. Loud noises were heard and Ae Ri stood up in anger. She rolled her eyes as Minseok began to clean up her messy apartment. The room contained several unopened containers of food and old clothes strewn everywhere. It didn't help that apartment smelled like molded food and dead animals. The last time Ae Ri had cleaned up was the day Yixing passed away.

She saw no point in trying to live a normal life without him—it was pointless.

Ae Ri snapped back into focus when Minseok grabbed hold of her arm. He pulled her gently towards the small bathroom and handed her a bag of clothing. He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck as he stared at the ground.

"I'm not sure whether they'll fit." Minseok shrugged. "You haven't been eating lately."

"I can just wear some of my old clothes."

"His clothes."

"My clothes."

Minseok silently agreed as Ae Ri slammed the bathroom door shut. He wandered back to the living room and cleared as much garbage as possible. The still silence of the room was broken by the sound of running water from the bathroom. Minseok knew that Ae Ri wasn't actually taking a shower but, rather, just making it seem like she was. It was her way of getting him off her back.

Minseok wanted nothing more than for Ae Ri to wash herself and try to eat. He understood that she was still in mourning, but the past was already gone; there was no point in holding on. If she continued to live this way, she was only going to continue hurting herself.

Yixing died a year ago.

Ae Ri wasn't the only one to change, though. Minseok who once had a very healthy frame had lost too much weight. The cheeks that Yixing had praised him for were now sunken. Minseok had grown stronger, but he had grown much skinnier as well. He had become more handsome, but sickly too. Taking care of her was taking a toll on his body.

But Minseok wouldn't give up.

Just as he finished cleaning up the apartment, his eyes drifted to a large box that was hidden beneath the couch. He reached down to grab it and pull the lid off. Once he saw the contents, his eyes grew watery. The faded pictures of Yixing and Ae Ri were lying inside. His old collection of music sheets were there as well, along with their couple rings.

Minseok had thrown them away several months after Yixing's death but Ae Ri, the masochist, had managed to retrieve them. She still clung to the things that were hurting her.

He jumped up in surprise when the bathroom door flung open and Ae Ri stepped out. Minseok had managed to hide the box before she could notice it. Once Ae Ri turned and walked in front of him, his heart began to race as he saw the clothes that he had bought for her.

The jeans hugged the little curves she had managed to save and the thick sweater emphasized her lean figure. She was also wearing high-heeled boots that made her legs look long. It was as if the Ae Ri from the past had returned.

"Y-you look pretty." Minseok stuttered. "They look nice on you."

"It would have been a waste to throw them out right after you bought them." Ae Ri bluntly said. "But I probably won't wear them ever again."

"Really?" His expression saddened. "You should dress more like that."

"I don't want to."

Minseok clapped his hands and nodded understandingly. "Maybe later on then."

His gaze on her remained unwavering as she stepped inside her room. Ae Ri looked at herself in the mirror with disgust. What use was there for her to clean up? She was never going to meet anyone who she wanted to look nice for anyways.

The only reason why she had even changed was to please Minseok. As long as he was pleased, he would leave her alone. Ae Ri roughly brushed her short hair before opening her drawer. Her fingers gingerly touched the several bottles of perfume before selecting one. The smell reached her nose and she smiled unconsciously.

It was Yixing's favorite cologne—her favorite scent. 

There was a light tap on the door and Minseok peeked inside. He held out his wrist and indicated that they were late for the appointment. Ae Ri grabbed Yixing's jacket and followed after Minseok as he walked towards the car. Her eyes landed on a small photo that was lying on the passenger seat. But, before she could take a closer look, Minseok snatched it and slipped it inside his pocket.

"I managed to get out of work early to come with you." Minseok smiled. "We can eat later."

"I'm not hungry." Ae Ri snapped. "How many times do I have to tell you that?"

"I'm surprised you haven't died yet." Minseok's said in a quiet, sad voice.

"You won't have to wait long."

Minseok stared in disbelief as Ae Ri slid inside the car. Her eyes stared straight ahead and she ignored the disquiet look displayed on his face. She crossed her arms and closed her eyes as he started the car engine.

"Ae Ri-" Minseok began before being cut off.

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Fine."

The car ride continued in awkward silence as they headed towards the hospital. It was Ae Ri's weekly visit to the psychiatrist. She had promised Minseok weekly visits in exchange for living alone. It was a mutual deal that brought benefits, Minseok was happy and so was she.

They arrived at the hospital and Ae Ri stepped out. Her heart began to race faster and she began to break out into a cold sweat. It was the same hospital that he has been in. The wound was still fresh for her, the memory still painfully intact with every step she took. With a throbbing headache, she headed inside towards the doctor's office.

Ae Ri grabbed hold of the cold metal door handle and inhaled deeply. She opened the door slowly and plastered a small smile as she bowed at the doctor. She quickly sat down on the chair and brushed back her hair. 

"Ae Ri." The doctor smiled. "I see you made it."

"Yes." She nodded. "I had to come."

"You make it seem like you're being forced."

"That's because I am."

The doctor nodded and glanced at the door where Minseok awkwardly stood. He bowed and gave Ae Ri a small wave before closing the door. She turned to see Ae Ri staring at her lap.

"He's just trying to help." She chuckled. "He cares a lot about you."

"I don't need his help." Ae Ri glared. "I can take care of myself."

"You lost almost 20 pounds." The doctor glanced at her notes. "I heard you haven't been eating."

"I have."

"It doesn't seem like it."

Ae Ri glanced up and rolled her eyes when she noticed the doctor's wide smile. Her joyful mood just aggravated Ae Ri. The feeling of joy and happiness was revolting.  People like her would never understand pain—the suffocating feeling of living.

"What do you want me to say!?" Ae Ri screamed as she stood up. "That I'm happy and excited about my life!?" she snapped sarcastically; her nails dug deeper into her palms, marking crescents on her pale white skin. "That I don't care about what happened anymore!?"

"Exactly." She nodded. "I just want you to speak, to open up."

"I don't want to." Ae Ri's tears streamed down her face. "I don't want anyone to listen."

"Why not?"

"Because it hurts." She sobbed bitterly, sinking to the ground. "Because he's not here."

••••••••••••

(Author's Note)

Finally managed to update. I hope everyone is enjoying the story. So please leave many comments below! I will probably go back and edit the first few chapter before updating again. Don't forget to comment and upvote! ^^