Song Mi Rae

Before I Let You Go

The only thing Mi Rae had was her beauty; she didn't possess the luxuries that many other girls did. She grew up with the simple belief that hard work will always pay off in the end. When she was only 8 years old, she entered the Xi residence as the maid's daughter. Growing up with her mother allowed her to see the harsh reality of the world. Mi Rae took after her mother's delicate features, but she kept the same personality as her her father.

Mi Rae's mother hated her and her father ever since she was born. Her mother had always dreamt of being an actress or a singer. She had the right beauty and determination, but her early marriage ruined everything.

She was the reason her mother had to give up on her dreams and settled down as a maid. She was the reason why her mother hated her so much. While she was praised for being kind and beautiful, Mi Rae's mother grew jealous of the small child.

Mi Rae began to grow up just like Cinderella but, instead of the evil stepmother, it was her birth mother that tormented her. With her father's death a few years prior, Mi Rae didn't have anyone to help her.

Her life soon turned into a regular daily routine. She would wake up early and prepare breakfast for the owners. Then she would have to clean the house before going to school. Once her homework was finished, she was told to prepare dinner and fix the baths. Mi Rae became the maid that her mother was supposed to be. 

But innocent and pure Mi Rae never held a grudge. Even though her mother hated her so, she would still hold the girl in her arms. She would still brush her hair and wash her clothes. But those simple touches were cold and empty. Not a single ounce of warmth or love seeped from her mother and Mi Rae wished to escape from her harsh life. 

That is when Luhan entered into her life.

Mi Rae had never met him due to the fact that the boy was always in the hospital. It was a bright summer morning when her mother ordered her to deliver some clothes for the boy. At 10 years old, Mi Rae's beauty was still hidden behind baby fat and a flat body. 

But what made everyone turn to stare at the young girl were her eyes. The cold and sharp eyes had aged the girl. Her eyes held pain and anger that only those of an old, wise age could understand. She was slowly starting to become the person she wanted to escape from: her mother.

The moment she stepped inside the hosptial room changed her life forever. Her eyes grew bright as the young boy turned to stare at her with lonely, melancholy eyes that Mi Rae could understand. Their eyes locked onto each others' and that was the moment she fell in love. With bright red cheeks and a shy smile, Mi Rae wordlessly handed the boy his clothes.

"Here you go," She shyly managed to whisper before bowing.

"Wait!" The boy called after her.

She had turned around and found him smiling back at her. He reached out to grab her hand before pulling her closer to him. The boy glanced over at her face before giving a small, happy smile. The loneliness in his eyes was less severe now.

"What's your name?"

"Mi Rae," She blinked, "Song Mi Rae."

"I'm Luhan." He smiled. "Xi Luhan."

And so after that day, Mi Rae would head straight to the hospital to see her new friend. For the next 10 years, Mi Rae and Luhan would spend all of their time together. He would teach her how to speak Chinese while she would bring him food. The small girl slowly blossomed into a young woman with beauty and curves. The sick boy had blossomed into a tall, handsome and brilliant man.

And so their friendship turned into something more.

Luhan nor Mi Rae could quite place when their relationship changed. His eyes began to drift from her face and towards her hand. His heart began to pound everytime she laughed and she would blink rapidly whenever he brushed her hair back.

By then, she had begun to escape from her everyday life. Song Mi Rae was now Luhan's best friend and lover instead of the maid's daughter. Her life had begun to turn around—but there is always someone to ruin it.

The day Mi Rae came home with a rose in her hand and Luhan's dirty clothes was the moment her mother knew what was going on. Though everyone else in the house had started to view Mi Rae differently, her mother still saw her as the girl who had taken everything away from her. And, now, that girl was living the life she envied. So, with the swift press of a button, Mi Rae's life came crashing down.

Luhan knew something was wrong when the maid stepped inside his room. With burning eyes and a sneer, she threatened to send Mi Rae away unless they broke up. And so he finally had to let Mi Rae go. He pushed away the person he cared for most.

Mi Rae's life went back to when she was a young girl.  She would wake up early and cook breakfast for the owners. Then she would be told to clean the house before going to school. Once her homework was finished, she must prepare dinner and fix their baths. It was the same routine day after day.

Her eyes began to grow dull and blank. Her once-soft hands were now hard and full of callouses. Mi Rae was starting to give up without Luhan by her side. 

Mi Rae grew to deteste her mother even more. The instant she found out about her plans was the day she left the house. It was the day she was fired.

There was nowhere for her to go, but with determination, Mi Rae was able to settle into a tiny apartment. She began to work endless part-time jobs while she searched for Luhan. He had left the hospital by then and left no traces. So she continued to work day by day until he arrived at her doorstep.

With eyes full of tears and a racing heart, Mi Rae gathered him into her arms. She knew that he had changed when his soft lips pressed against her own. Mi Rae knew he belonged to her when he held her hand against his racing heart. 

But, just as quickly as he came, Luhan left. The tiny apartment became cold and barren. She went back to working endless hours and growing even more tired. It didn't matter to Mi Rae if she had to work or live in a tiny apartment so long as she had Luhan by her side. 

So Mi Rae decided to leave. She wanted to start over again without him. It was the only way for her to have any hope for the future. Just as she stepped out of her apartment with a small suitcase, Luhan arrived with his own.

"I'm staying," He whispered, "I came back."

In all of her 19 years of living, those words were the most beautiful to Mi Rae.

Even before he whispered I love you.

••••••••••••

(Author's Note)

So this marks the final chapter that deals with backgrounds! Please leave many comments below! I love reading them! Also, I know that Xi is not Luhan's real name but for the sake of the story, please pretend it is  ^^