Kim Minseok

Before I Let You Go

It was always hard for Minseok to remember exactly when he fell in love. He always grew up believing that true love didn't exist; he knew from experience. Since he was young, he had been abandoned and tossed around like an old pair of shoes. Never knowing when he would eat his next meal or whether he would be able to sleep in a warm bed. 

Minseok struggled through his life day by day until he met Yixing. Yixing was the first person to treat Minseok like an actual human being. He was the first person who cared. And that was exactly the reason Minseok ran away. When he first laid eyes on Na Ae Ri, he knew that his days were numbered.

He could never quite place what was so different about her. Unlike Minseok, Yixing had a different array of women since his teen years. But he never abandoned them or tossed them away. Just as Minseok was struggling to find love, Yixing was looking for someone he could really love. 

And then she came into their lives. Ae Ri.

She was the complete opposite of what Minseok had considered a beautiful woman to be. Her long dark hair was knotted together and oily. A face full of dirt and dried tears. Clothes that were torn and oversized. Yet there was something in her eyes that Minseok could relate to. 

Eyes that showcased the pain that they were trying so hard to hide. 

A life that was forever cruel to them both.

But just as he noticed how truly beautiful Ae Ri was, Yixing had noticed as well. He had managed to sweep her off her feet and their friendship blossomed into something pure and innocent. The girl who was once so scared to lift her head now walked with confidence. With her arm wrapped tightly around Yixing, she was finally happy. 

Yixing had managed to bring out the girl that was hidden deep inside Ae Ri. He was able to do something that Minseok could never fathom to think of doing. And so his hatred for Yixing grew until it swallowed him whole. But just as his hatred grew so did his love for Ae Ri.

The way her hands fluttered lightly over her face as she stared at something. The way she would bite her lips when she needed to concentrate. How her eyes would form into a crescent moon as she laughed. But the most beautiful thing to Minseok was the way her eyes would pierce into his own.

I know what you're thinking. I know what you're feeling.

It was if she could read his mind.

The pain and hatred grew so much that Minseok began to drink again. The burning sensation that filled his throat managed to dull his aching heart. Minseok had finally gone back to his roots and he hated himself for that.

What was so special about Yixing? Why did he get everything he wanted? Why did Ae Ri love him so much?

The thoughts that he had struggled to keep away invaded his mind. Minseok knew that he owed Yixing his life but love made him blind. And so without thinking he would pack up his bags and walk away from their lives.

Days turned into weeks. Minseok began to forget about his love for Ae Ri and Yixing as well. Jongdae had come to save him from the alcohol that . He was a friend Minseok could confide in and finally reveal his feelings. He was able to get away from the pain that made it hard for him to move. 

Minseok forced himself to move on and he began to date. The countless number of women that occupied his bed could not quench his thirst. Their faces blurred together but there was one that always stood out.

Na Ae Ri.

Her plump pink lips that would make Minseok's heart race. Her twinkling laughter that filled the air. The eyes that stared deep into his soul. Minseok knew he was losing the fight and finally gave in to his heart's desire.

He would stay by her side alongside Yixing. Minseok would never touch another woman so long as Ae Ri stayed by his side. It was a futile promise he made to himself. Until the very day Yixing left them, he was the friend who she could confide in. 

Minseok began to change as well once he returned home. Unconsciously he started to copy everything Yixing did. From the way he laughed to the way he walked, Minseok transformed into another Yixing. But it wasn't the same to her.

Yixing was the only thing in Ae Ri's eyes. Minseok was just another piece of furniture to her. He was just there, something that didn't grab anyone's attention. But he still wanted to stay.

Minseok loved her. He loved Ae Ri with all his heart.

He was there the very day Yixing passed away. Minseok held him in his arms as he watched him sign the papers. He was there when Yixing decided to give away his organs. Minseok was there when he took his last breath.

No matter how many times he tried to erase his memories, no matter how many times he begged to start fresh, the look in her eyes as she saw the person she loved the most leave her still haunts him. Minseok could never forget the cries and howls that escaped Ae Ri's lips. 

But he could understand how she felt. It was exactly the same feeling that Minseok struggled to get rid of. Ae Ri's pain was something that brought back memories of his own. 

The once happy girl changed. The girl who made Minseok fall in love in the first place reappeared. 

Her long dark hair grew knotted together and oily. A clean and innocent face began to fill up with dirt and dried tears. Pretty summer dresses were replaced by Yixing's oversized wardrobe.

And she began to push Minseok away. Her weak fists pounded his chest. The eyes that used to shine so brightly grew dark and angry. Ae Ri began to push Minseok away because he wasn't Yixing. He reminded her too much of him.

Yet Minseok stayed with her. It was the last promise he had made with Yixing. The promise that took his last breath. It was the only thing he could do to remember his greatest friend.

Take care of her. Yixing had whispered. Don't let her get hurt.

So Minseok did as promised. He would be there to hold her arms as she tried to take pills. He would wipe away at the blood that dripped from her wrists. Minseok would be the one to cut the rope from around her pale and delicate neck.

He would be there to protect her.

Minseok believed it was selfish of him to make her stay with him. Maybe if he tried harder Ae Ri would fall in love with him. Maybe if he had been the one that she had met first Yixing wouldn't have died.

These were pointless questions because there were no answers.

Just what if's.

And Minseok lept going back. He would be there to make sure she didn't hurt herself. He would make sure that Ae Ri stayed long enough in the world to fall in love again. Even if it was never with him.

As long as Ae Ri stayed in this world, Minseok would be there to take care of her. For as long as Ae Ri lived, Minseok will always love her. Until the day he died, Ae Ri will be the only woman Minseok will have by his side.

She was a lost soul.

Just like him.

••••••••••••

Minseok slowly placed the white flowers on the ground before bowing. His eyes drifted towards the small picture frame that was placed along the grave. Yixing's smiling face stared into his own.

"I'm back." Minseok murmured. "I brought you a present."

He slipped his hands into his pocket and pulled out a notebook with music sheets that was Yixing's favorite. Alongside the notebook Minseok placed Yixing's favorite pencil. 

"Ae Ri is hurting herself again." He mumbled. "She's getting sick."

There was no response.

"Why did she pick you?" Minseok asked. "Why did she choose you?"

He brushed back the tears that began to fall down his face. Minseok knew it was useless to talk to the grave since no one would respond. But he still hoped to hear from Yixing. A sign to let him know that he was there.

"I should have been the one." He sobbed. "I could have protected her unlike you."

Minseok's fingers began to pull on the stiff grass as his body trembled. His sobs grew louder as he covered his face. He was alone in the world once again. Yixing had left him just like he left Ae Ri.

Wordlessly he stood up and walked back to his car. Minseok closed his eyes as he reached for something inside the glove compartment. He glanced down to see a small photo of Ae Ri and Yixing smiling at the camera. Their eyes shined brightly as they held each other.

The girl he wanted to see again was gone.

And so was Yixing.

"Maybe next time?" Minseok wiped away his dying tears. "Maybe I can put it there next time."

••••••••••••

(Author's Note)

Sorry if this chapter is crappy. I haven't had much experience with third person so it'll take some time getting used to it. I'll try my best to make sure no one is disappointed. Oh! And please leave many comments below!