Luhan

Before I Let You Go

Life had always been difficult for Luhan. Dozens of medication bottles along with countless hospital visits dominated much of his young life. While kids played in the street or went to amusement parks, Luhan was stuck inside staring out the window.

His heart was too fragile for him to handle such adventures. Anything that could trigger his heart to pump faster was avoided. So he grew up without showcasing any emotions.

Not even a smile escaped his stoic face. Not even a small giggle escaped his lips. The boy grew up to be extremely beautiful but cold at the same time. While other children longed for the newest toys or video games, Luhan longed for a new heart. A heart that will allow him to run until his legs gave out. A heart that would let him laugh and smile.

A heart that would allow him to love.

Everyday Luhan spent inside the hospital was another day of depression. He recieved constant heart surgeries but in the end it was no use. A fake heart was given until a real one matched his own. And so Luhan prayed that he would get it soon enough.

At just the tender age of 19, he still had much to learn about life. What it felt like to ride in a roller coaster or what it felt like to ride a bike through the park. He was ready to experience it alongside his best friend Song Mi Rae.

She was the only person to stay by his side when everyone else left him. Mi Rae was the first person to treat Luhan like a normal teenage boy. She would be the first person he could open himself up to. Mi Rae was the first girl to hold his hand and brush back his tears.

He had grown up with parents who avoided him as much as possible. They were too busy attending cocktail parties to pay much attention to the sick boy. Money was more important to them than family. It was sad to see Luhan understand that at such a young age. 

And so he turned to Mi Rae who was the maid. She was beautiful and gentle. Someone any boy would want as a girlfriend and someone every girl envied. They grew up together and spent their time together. To him, Mi Rae was his savior and a place he could call home. 

But as he grew weaker, Mi Rae slowly disappeared from his life. The pain was too much to handle every time he would laugh alongside her. He was slowly killing himself every time their hands touched. His love for her would end them both.

Just as she appeared in his life he had to let her go. The stoic Luhan finally broke his facade when Mi Rae walked out of the hospital door. The way her soft heels clicked on the laminated floor was enough to break him. The person he trusted and loved the most in the world had finally left him.

So he began to spend his days just as he had before. Staring outside the window while the rain plinked against it. He began to count down the days he had before dying. The days that went by so fast.

Just when he was going to give up, a new heart had finally arrived. A heart the doctors said matched perfectly. After 20 years of pain and misery, Luhan was now given a chance at freedom.

A chance to run through the soft grass.

A chance to play soccer.

A chance to be with Mi Rae again.

And so Luhan received his heart and managed to live. The feeling he had when he finally opened his eyes was indescribable. It was as if a new person replaced the old and worn out Luhan. He could now finally live the life he wanted.

He ran away from home once he could finally leave the hospital and set out to discover the world. His eyes would widen and sparkle when he stared at the massive roller coaster rides. A soft moan escaped his mouth as he savored food that was never available to him.

The newfound Luhan was ready to experience everything. But he needed to find Mi Rae before starting. So he spent much of the first few months searching for her before finding her at a small apartment. The girl who used to smile so brightly stared back at him with tired eyes.

It had pained him to see the dark circles and small wrinkles around her face. Once she had left Luhan her life went downhill. She was kicked out of the house and had spent much of her time working endlessly. The beauty which he had treasured so dearly faded slightly. 

But it didn't stop him from pulling her into his arms. The very person who loved Luhan was standing in front of him. He could finally move on and be happy.

His new heart seemed to agree when he leaned forwards to kiss her delicately on the lips. The sensation was new to him but somehow familiar. He could now hold her hand without worrying about the pain. Luhan could finally hold Mi Rae in his arms and have his heart beat only for her. 

They spent much of their days at home. They would sit together on the couch and watch TV. Their arms would be wrapped around each other with only the sound of their hearts beating. 

was also something that was profound to him. The way his body would move over hers without holding back. The way her breath tasted against his own. But what was even more special to Luhan was when Mi Rae would place her hand gingerly over his chest.

She would touch the large scar that dominated his chest and smile softly. It didn't matter to her if Luhan's flawless body was now scarred. So long as she was able to hold him in her arms was enough.

He had finally discovered what love really meant. The way it could change someone completely. The way the mind and body would react only to that person. The way his heart pounded against his chest for Mi Rae.

But just as his life began, there is always someone to ruin it. The parents who so desperately wanted to get rid of him suddenly came back. The company which he hated now wanted him. And so he was whisked away from Mi Rae and into a world he wanted to escape from.

The old Luhan had returned and his smile vanished. Eyes that once danced were dark and blank. The soft smirk that only belonged to Mi Rae was hidden beneath a stern grimace. It was as if he had returned to the hospital, staring out the window with the rain dripping on it.

His hope for a different life was now shattered. He was once again sad and depressed with no one to lean on. Even if the room was full of people, Luhan was still alone. No one could understand the pain that was lying hidden inside of him.

Days went by without Mi Rae and he began to grow weaker. The new heart which once pounded against his chest began to slow down and struggle to beat. There was no point in living Luhan believed now. No matter how many times he took medication, his body began to give up.

His heart could no longer handle the pain.

It longed for the girl who helped him live.

So Luhan gave up on the wealth and luxury he grew up on. A life without having his heart race was something he couldn't fathom. So long as he was healthy he would do what made him happy.

He would finally return to her.

The person his heart longed for.

••••••••••••

"What should we do today?"

"Anything you want."

Luhan turned to look at Mi Rae who smiled widely in her pajamas. He reached out to brush back her hair and sighed when she grabbed his hand. Even though they spend much of their time together, it always surprised him how her skin felt on his own.

"I want to go to the park," He smiled. "I want to ride a bike."

"Can you?" Mi Rae teased. "I'm not sure the bike can handle such a little girl."

"I'm sure it can or else I can run after you."

"As if. You can barely make it a block."

He laughed as he stood up and headed towards his bedroom. He opened the curtains and stared at the street below him. There was nothing to hold him back. Nothing to prevent him from doing what he wanted. So long as his heart was there, Luhan would be able to live and love.