08

The Game of the Maze

As Tao turned left, he heard a loud rumble. He glanced around, hoping that it wasn't any animal he had encountered. And to his relief, it was not. Instead, there was a long river, with a line of stones from the side Tao was on to the other. White water whooshed around the rocks and made them wet and slippery. Tao knew one thing - he had to cross it. Making sure something wasn't going to happen to him here, he found a small tree where he could rest on. The sun was setting and he knew it wasn't safe to cross a rushing river during darkness, so might as well sleep and scout for food that he'd never find. Time seemed to drag on as Tao sat there and stared at the river.

"Hyeri, do you remember the time we went white water rafting? Everything was so easy then. You were shrieking and waving your paddle around uselessly while holding on tight to my waist. When our boat flipped, did you see how worried I was when I didn't find you? And then you jumped out and tickled my sides!" Tao chuckled at himself for talking such things at the moment. They were so different, so playful and carefree then. Any memories he had of him and Hyeri in a river were clouding his mind. He turned his gaze to the tree and another memory overtook him. This time, he didn't say it out loud however.

Flashback-

"You're in my tree!" A voice shrieked from above of Tao. He blinked and stood up, "Who is it?" The was the sound of leaves rustling, one branch falling and a girl jumped down - Hyeri.

"Get out of my tree," Hyeri coldly pointed outward, not seeing who she was talking to. Her face was defiant as she waited for the stranger to go. She didn't look like she was in the mood to talk about things since her best friend had just died yesterday. 

"It's me," Tao turned her face so she could see him. Her brain registered the name and she knew who he was, but still waited for him to leave.

"Have you been crying?" Tao curiously asked. He didn't see any puffiness in her eyes or any sign that she was sad other than that faraway look in her eyes. 

Hyeri sighed impatiently, "I don't have all day waiting for you to go." She artfully decided to avoid the question, but Tao was persistent and curious. 

"Fine. No I didn't cry. I save my tears for the important, which she was, and I did cry a bit. And when I do shed a tear, I only cry very little. It's not often you see me cry, in fact, it's rare so stop bothering me and leave please." Hyeri calmed herself down by taking a deep breath. Tao raised an eyebrow but didn't listen to her.

"I can help," he quietly murmured.

"Help with what?" Hyeri scoffed before turning to the tree so she could climb it once again.

"Help make you happy again," he called up to her. Silence pressed on him as he stared upward, waiting for an answer. 

"I'll give you a week to try. I'm not that easy to please," Hyeri finally replied, secretly pleased that someone offered to make her at least a bit happier than she was at the moment. And from then, they grew closer and discovered so many things about the each other.

-End flashback

Hyeri sighed, turning the food back and forth in her hands, seeing Tao space off. What he had talked about earlier - the river thing - that memory was so vivid in her mind. Of course she'd remember any time that she spent with him.

"Your boyfriend is certainly really a thing isn't he?" The bald man walked in and stood beside Hyeri. Hyeri emotionlessly stared at the TV as Tao blinked out of his flashback and curled up to sleep and to conserve the warmth his body radiated since it was beginning to get cold.

"So, I don't believe I've ever told you my name," the bald man stooped to Hyeri's level, "I'm Insu."  He expected Hyeri to say is name, test it out, but she instead just ignored him, brushing his name off. Insu grew infuriated at that.

"Look, little girl, you have to answer me when I talk." Insu's eyes turned into small slits of anger as Hyeri still stared foward. She mentally scoffed at Insu's remark. He thought he was the top of the world, that was what it was. She refused to talk to anyone who worked for the maze. Seeing that silence wouldn't get rid of him, she indifferently spoke, "Why should I care what you say or not?"

Insu was now pissed beyond the point. This girl whom he thought was shy and sweet turned out to be a monster! The world didn't need these kinds of people, so he was sure that Hyeri and her boyfriend will die. Especially on such an occasion, with Jung provoking the maze...surely his wish would be granted. 

Hyeri watched Insu leave with relief. Insu had this odor, this odor of dead cats that he carried with him. It wasn't pleasant. Tao was in a deep slumber when Hyeri saw that he was slightly shivering and sympathetically looked at him. It looked cold in the maze, with the fog and the wind. Hyeri held onto her food and her blanket and went into dream mode.

"Tao~ I have your food!" Hyeri cheerfully (something that was only seen by Tao and the boys) handed him the wrapped up sandwhich and fruit. Tao thankfully gobbled it up and gestured to the blanket with a raised eyebrow.

"Cover yourself, you look cold! Advice on the river, use a stick!" Hyeri smiled and covered him with a blanket gently. She hadn't thought of the consequences of a sudden blanket appearing yet.

"Thank you," Tao warmly grinned back as the dream faded.

Hyeri woke up to a horn blasting at her ear. She jolted up and instinctively, her arm shot out and slapped whoever's face it was. It was Insu who recieved the impact. He rubbed his face and sternly glared at her.

"Explain that blanket!" He pointed at Tao who was sleeping blissfully under the blanket that Hyeri gave him. Now Hyeri wasn't one to cuss but now was the time. Oh . Insu pointed at her bed as well, where there was no blanket. 

Hyeri gulped, her eyes lowered. There was no way out of this situation was there?

 

A/N: ugh, I'm so sorry for this bad chapter ehe. I didn't have much inspiration this week. summer can get boring lol. anyways, double update soon~ and I'm doing a new story with my frieneds Jindos21 and AnnieYe4, so it'd be greatly appreciated if you checked it out? It's called Destined Chance. A Sehun fic >.<