05

The Game of the Maze

Back in Hyeri and Tao's home town, the 9 boys were sitting in front of a wide screen TV. Sehun and Luhan went to buy bubble tea for the boys to drink while watching Tao and Hyeri. Kris was in a ball at the corner of the large couch, whimpering as he watched Tao sleep. He had a bad feeling on what was to come next. Even Chanyeol and Chen were silent, after watching their best friend almost die.

"We're back!" Sehun paraded in the room abnormally cheerfully.

"Here," Luhan passed the bubble tea out as his eyes flickered to the TV, "What'd we miss?" 

"Nothing," Baekhyun dully replied, picking at the couch.

"Wait, he's waking up!" Suho alerted everyone. Sehun and Luhan slumped onto the couch and watched Tao rub his eyes and look at the two spilts in the maze in confusion.

"Come on Tao, choose right," Lay muttered, praying silently. Tao did just that and appeared in a hall with many doorways. Kris easily counted 20 of them. Tao blinked, the instructions pretty clear: choose a door. Without looking at each door carefully, he walked to one at the end with the number 19 engraved upon it.

"Why that one?" Xiumin whispered, anxiously chewing on his straw.

"I hope he chose well," Chen nervously blinked rapidly, waiting for the outcome. Slowly, the door creaked open. It was as if it was put in slow motion on purpose.

"The suspense," Kris whimpered, scared for his best friend.

"Why 19 of all of them?" Kai muttered, deep in thought. 

"Oh god!" Suho breathed a sigh of relief seeing that Tao opened the correct and safe door. The door led to a brightly lit room with a table. Placed on the table is a large assortment of pies, cakes, candies, fruits, vegetables, all sorts of foods. Xiumin and Kai their lips seeing the food. 

"It seems to good to be true," Luhan noted.

"Maybe it's poisoned," Sehun suggested. Lay nodded in agreement.

"He hasn't eaten for at least 2 days I think," Chanyeol worriedly watch Tao walk past all the food, not even sparing a glance at them.

"Why isn't he eating it!?" Kai wrinkled his eyebrows in disbelief. A rabbit appeared out of nowhere, sniffing for the food. It hopped onto the table and bit into a carrot. It's eyes rolled back as it collapsed on the ground. Tao watched it fall in horror before running out of the room. The room filled with gasps.

"How does he know that the food is poisoned? Or number 19 is safe!?" Kyungsoo piped up, curiousity filling up his voice.

"Thank god he didn't eat it," Kris sat ramrod straight, shocked at the whole rabbit thing.

"Maybe Hyeri is communicating with her?" Luhan suggested.

Lay shook his head, "Hyeri wouldn't go against the laws...would she?"

"I don't know, but if she does, how does she do it?" Sehun pondered.

"Guys, I doubt she'd do something like that," Baekhyun spoke up for Hyeri, defending her. He was sort of like a brother for Hyeri, incredibly sad and lonely since Hyeri left, but Chanyeol cheered him up.

"But she changed after the incident," Chanyeol cautiously peered at Suho, who was most affected from the incident besides Hyeri.

"Yeah," Kai mumbled thoughtfully.

"I heard her muttering something about dreamscaping before she hugged me. She was talking to Tao." Kris' eyes lit up with hope that Hyeri might just get Tao the right information so that he would live.

"Dreamscaping?" Suho's eyes widened. Deep down, he was incredibly thankful to Kris for changing the subject from the incident. 

"I've heard of it," Kyungsoo mused, trying to think of what he remembered.

"I need food to think," Sehun stood up and went to the kitchen. Kai, Xiumin, Luhan and Chen followed him to get foods. Suho ran to his library to find a book on dreamscaping. No matter what the subject was, Suho had a book on it.

"Uh...that looks bad," Kris turned the attention back to the TV. There was a shimmery thing with the pattern of hexagons in front of Tao. It was a forcefeild.

"Those things are electric," Baekhyun fearfully pointed at it.

"I'm back," the rest of the boys entered the room just as Tao ran into the forcefeild. He was thrown backward, his body convulsing. Kris cried and covered his eyes.

"It'll be fine," Lay tried to soothe Kris, but it was like doing the impossible. Kris shook his head and muttered something unintelligble.

"Guys I got the book---WHAT HAPPENED!?!?" Suho came in cheerfully but quickly froze, seeing Kris near tears and Tao on the ground.

"Bad stuff," Sehun helpfully told him. 

"Forcefield, and he hit it," Baekhyun informed Suho.

"Blood," Chen screamed like a girl and pointed at the spot where blood was trickling out of Tao's mouth. It seemed like Tao was unconcious, maybe even dead.

"Please wake up," Chanyeol begged. A couple tears escaped Kris' eyes as he ran out of the room to Suho's bedroom.

"I'll cheer him up!" Chanyeol got up and chased after Kris. 

"He's quiet and no action now, so say what you have to say," Xiumin turned to Suho, who began to stammer, "Well, this book has quite a lot of info."

"Like?" Kai leaned in eagerly.

"Like how it's inherited by a generation or two before her, like her grandparents or great grandparents. And how it work, you know, calling the person up for the dream. Now we know why Hyeri is always asleep when Tao is." Suho pointed and flipped through pages so fast that it was a blur. Hyeri was on a tiny square on the screen, so the onlookers could monitor what she was doing. Right now, she was gaping, her food laying untouched, dreadfulness and pain coloring her features.

"So her grandma may know...if only she was alive," Sehun sighed. 

"He's asleep," Chanyeol strode back in. Suho informed him the information he missed out on.

"Do you suppose her parents know?" Kyungsoo asked. They all shook their heads. 

Baekhyun's voice was hurt, "Why didn't she tell us?" He looked around the circle at what was left of the boys. Lay tilted his head, "It's such a risky secret, I guess it makes sense to keep it." Suho shut the book.

"We need to do something to get our minds off this," Kyungsoo suggested. Everyone's mood lifted and Chen went to wake Kris up.

 

A/N- if there are random updates that don't reveal something new, I'm editting some chapters. Nothing's different, just you know, double checking. Anyways, some Exo action(: 

Meanwhile, Tao felt his life slipping on his fingers as he desperately called for Hyeri in his mind.