013

The Game of the Maze

Hyeri awoke to see Jung's face in front of her. She saw that Jung's hair had reasonably gotten grayer. Inwardly smirking, she sat up and rubbed her eyes, muffling a yawn.

"You are awake," Jung formally greeted her by bowing. Hyeri nodded and turned her attention to the unopened TV. She wanted to see how Tao was doing but then again, she didn't want to see him in pain.

"She is very skinny," Jung turned his accusing eyes to Insu, who began to protest.

"I'm sorry sir, she just refuses to eat. Look, there's the plate I gave her yesterday! The food is still there!" Insu desperately pointed at the empty plate on a small desk that wasn't there last night. Hyeri bit back a smirk. She had dreamscaped the foods to Tao. 

Jung looked at Insu, "There's no food. Are you going delusional?" Jung studied Insu, who was gaping at the plate before he spun on his heel and stomped out of this room. Hyeri raised an eyebrow after him before turning to Jung, who was now watching her with careful eyes. He smiled slightly and switched on the TV.

"Park Hyeri." Jung locked her up in her chair thing. Hyeri closed her eyes, an attempt to not glare at him. Jung tilter her chin up and examined her face. Hyeri squirmed. She really hated Jung at the moment. Skinship was not her thing.

"You are an interesting girl. I've never seen you have an emotional moment. What is it with you?" Jung pondered out loud. Hyeri opened her eyes and trained them on the TV. Tao was stirring from his sleep. He was somewhere in a room full of chairs. Shadows filled the place. There was a twitch of movement in those shadows. Instantly, she knew that there were people there. There was a boom box in the corner of the room. The course seemed easy enough, but was it really?

"Not listening eh?" Jung bought her attention back. Tao had awaken and was blinking his bleary eyes and looking around in confusion. 

"Watch your lover do his thing." Jung stood up and released Hyeri's chin. Hyeri mentally scoffed at him, glaring at the president with all her might. She didn't care if it was impolite or not. She had enough of this douche bag.

"Bye~" Jung walked out. Hyeri shook her head in disgust before looking at the TV. Tao was standing in the circle of a ring of men in black. One of them, the leader, Hyeri guessed, addressed him.

"Musical chairs. You should know how to play I assume. So basically if you don't land on a chair, you...die." The tall leader with a low voice chuckled and then pressed the boom box. By Tao's expression, he was still processing the things. The music was on and all the black figures started walking around the 10 wooden chairs that were put out. A jumpy song started to come out. Tao began to follow the men tentatively. He was on his guard. Hyeri watched the men. The music abruptly stopped. Hyeri nearly jumped due to the sudden silence. Tao quickly sank down on a wooden chair, wincing as his made contact with the hard chair. He sat down a split second before a shorter guy. Hyeri breathed a huge sigh of relief. She was so glad that he made it. The smaller boy narrowed his eyes but gestured for everyone to stand. They all stood, as if robots. Hyeri rolled her eyes as a chair got dragged into the shadows. The short boy disappeared and someone clicked the boom box again.

A soothing song began to play. Tao who had now gotten the flow of the game now started to walk around the chairs, tense and on guard. This time, the music ran for a long time. Hyeri didn't count, but he thought it might've been at least 10 minutes. When the music stopped, some dudes continued to walk, but some sat down. Tao saw the man in front of him sit and immediately plopped down.

"AUGHHH!" A scream jolted Hyeri from her TV trance. She spun her head around and saw Jung doing something to Insu. Apparently with a knife. A cut appeared on his arm. Hyeri's jaw nearly fell to the ground. Jung cut him. Jung, the oh-so-nice president cut a worker that was under him. It was nearly illegal, she was sure of it. A tiny frown appeared on her face. She didn't want the country she lived in to have a corrupt leader. Oh! And what if he cuts her next?! She absolutely cannot lose any amount of blood. Hyeri clenched her fists and willed herself to look away. 

On screen, Tao started to face some troubles. The music had played just for a beat and within a second, most people were seated. It was just him and the tall dude. The tall lunged for the chair but Tao pushed him away. The tall guy glared at him fiercely before holding up a fist. Tao raised an eyebrow and waited for the blow. Hyeri rolled her eyes but continued to wait to see what happened.

"Come on," the tall one smirked at Tao. Tao jumped and kicked the tall one in the gut, causing the tall guy to kneel down in pain. Hyeri winced but focused on Tao, who jumped over the chairs and ran on.

Hyeri shook her head, "What is he doing?" Tao just ran and ran. Soon, Hyeri figured out that he was going to the next course.

Tao sprinted to the end and hastily made a left where he was met by a cool pond. He took a sip of water before standing up and scanning his surroundings. There was nothing, not even a rustle of the wind. Spooked, Tao began to run. Soon enough, his limbs got weak.

He slowed his pace to walking, but his heavy limbs kept him here. His eyelids started to droop and just before he fell unconscious, he realized what he just drank. Too late to realize.

The lake was full of poison.