011

The Game of the Maze

Tao shivered under his thick clothes that were threatening to drag him down. All he could do was to travel to the end of the river and see what was to happen. Numbness went from his toes to his waist. He was struggling to just stay above water. He threw away the useless stick and his mind wandered. How many days had it been since he came here? At this rate, a month would seem like years! The icy water finally came to an abrupt stop in front of a trembling volcano. Tao grabbed fistfuls of grass as he hefted himself up onto the scorching ground. A yellowy fluid came out of the volcano. He stood on the grass, waiting for the numbing to stop. His mind was screaming 'RUN' since it was pretty obvious the volcano erupted. Thing was, he couldn't run with his leg injury and all. Also due to the fact that he was freezing, it might be a good idea to stay here and get lava'd on. Suddenly, the volcano burst. Smoke covered the entire area, causing Tao to choke violently. He fell to the ground, his fist hitting his chest in an effort to breathe through the thick smoke. The lava was flowing all around him, making the heat almost unbearable. Within a few seconds, the whole entire place was filled with scorching hot lava. Tao was now warm and dry.

He sat and looked around him. Maybe he was going delusional, but he felt something watching him. Not the cameras or the TV watchers. No, it was something...peculiar. He couldn't put his finger on it. The ground shifted from under him, causing him to flip over, landing on a lava spot. He yelped and quickly jumped back onto the dry spot he had been on. That sudden move of the ground, it seemed as though the maze was furious and alive. Tao shook his head; he was really going insane.

The lava was threatening to wash over him. Ashes rain down onto him. In front of him, the volcano stopped roaring and all that was left was raining ashes, spreading lava and the lung-filling smoke. Tao helplessly looked at the lava. If he was to cross this plain, he'd have to lose a foot or two.

"I'll get out of here Hyeri!" Tao vehemently called to the dark sky before staggering upward. The river was not far from him. A quick plan began to form in his mind when he saw some logs floating on the now calmed river.

Hyeri was impatiently waiting for Soori to talk. As much as she wanted to know about this, she had to watch Tao. With her sharp ears, she over heard some people outside murmuring about him getting trapped. For once, she ached to be back at the TV.

"Your grandmother was extremely gifted. Not only could she communicate through dreams, she could read other people's minds. I bet if you could do that, things would be easier?" Soori raised an eyebrow in question. 

Hyeri flatly stared at her, "Can't do it." Soori chuckled, tapping stuff into a computer. Probably about that fake blood that had to do with 'her' test. Loud banging was heard on the door and then Insu charged in, his face twisted and incredibly irratble. 

"Done yet!?" He demanded in a loud voice. Soori nodded and let Insu take her. Before Hyeri shut the door, Soori winked, promising to tell her more. Hyeri fiddled with her fingers as she walked in front of Insu, his eyes boring into her back. She didn't trust Soori yet. For all she knew, she was just a spy or something. Nope, she won't give her trust that easily. 

"You can't dreamscape?" It was a rhetorical questionthat Hyeri ignored. She was tied and chained back to the uncomfortable, stiff chair. By one glance of the TV, Hyeri knew she missed a lot because it went from a river to a plain filled with lava and Tao was just barely on a dry spot. Scowling at Insu because he was the cause she missed so much, she stared at the screen. Tao had his concentrating face on, staring at the logs intensely. Hyeri knew what was running through his mind. He wanted to use those logs to cross the plain. Her scowl softened as she silently praised Tao's smartness.

3 years back, a boy was put into a feild of beautiful sunflowers with bombs landing here and there. This boy was smart and he managed to escae it by using his quick fingers to build some sort of covering thing with sunflowers and run away from the feild. He was the only boy that won alongside with his teary sister, who had gone crazy after watching her brother suffer through all these courses. A slam of a door jolted Hyeri back to life as she stared at the closed door. Thank god Insu finally decided to leave.

Insu frowned, deep in thought. If this girl couldn't dreamscape, then what abilities did she have? She obviously had some. Insu watched and rewatched the hidden camera in Hyeri's room that she was oblivious about. What happened was that she was sleeping, holding a napkin wrapped with something and the blanket. When she started snoring, everyhting disappeared. Was he sure that the blood test wasn't rigged. He could never trust Soori. Just a few years back, Soori got the job. Her background information was not told. He didn't know anything about her. Soori did someting to the blood test, he was sure of it.

The powers she had threatened the whole system of the maze. Perhaps a little more provoking this little maze would make it finally finish off Tao. Insu couldn't stand the headache he was getting from this silent couple. And with Jung coming tomorrow, he was ready to diminish them. Jung came because he was ready to do the final disturbing of the maze and also because he was shocked that Tao managed to complete a whole week in the maze. Out of the 10 people, only 4 managed to do so. As for the maze, after finding it in an ocean, covered in all sorts of littered junk, Jung's dad decided to use his last years, putting all his efforts into years of taming the vicious maze, making it obey orders and rigging it to kill people.

The maze was alive until the sister of the winner snuck into the control room and killed all the wires, making her brother win with ease. But once again, becoming alive after 3 years of rest.

 

A/N: WEEE FINALLY A UPPPDATE!!! there's your secret of how the person won and the secret of the maze. if only Hyeri knew about this secret... *mischevious smile*