01

The Game of the Maze

Hyeri continued to glare out the window as her plane flew across the country. The goobyes that have left her lips were long gone. This game, this stupid game just had to choose her to be their victim. Out of all the 18 year olds in the entire country, why her? She didn't get it. All she knew right now was that she was going to die. Not that she didn't have faith in her boyfriend's fighting, it was just that there was only one winner in the course of 10 years. What were the odds? Hyeri scrunched her nose and longed to be in her parent's arms, their comforting gaze washing over her. 

"Miss, would you like some food?" A pretty attendant asked her, bringing a tray up. Hyeri was proud of herself for not rolling her eyes. What was the need of an attendant when she was the only one on the plane aside from guards?

"No." Hyeri faced the window, her city by the coast gone from view.

"Ok," the attendant bowed and left. Why were these people so formal? A sigh left Hyeri's lips as she thought of the coming challenges. It was certain that there was no way Tao could see each and every risk coming at him, there were just so many. Hyeri wanted herself to fall asleep so she could talk to Tao through her dream. If only sleep was so easy at this moment.

"We will land in about 10 minutes," the pilot's voice echoed through the near empty jet. The scenery began to shift. It grew foggier and through the fog, Hyeri got a small glimpse of the maze. Due to her sharp eyesight, she could see the dangers that were in it. Seeing a cage full of tigers, she bit back a gasp. She couldn't afford to be caught examining the maze because she was monitored very closely. How was Tao to get through a bunch of tigers? The maze itself was so intricate and deep, it'd take a man at least a year to fight his way through. But they only had a month.

A bald man with wired rimmed glasses approached her and gave her instructions, "When you get off the jet, you will be ushered to a dressing room. Please remove all clothing there and change into an outfit that we have prepared for you. After that, there will be a grand meal with everyone who's anyone, there." Hyeri winced at his words but nodded.

"Now, will you escape?" The man eyed her.

"No," Hyeri simply replied. Shock was clearly defined in the man's features. 

"You're one of the first. Care to tell me why?" The man, intrigued, leaned in towards her.

Hyeri kept a steady gaze out the window, "I know that there are guards everywhere. There is no point of escaping. All it'd get me is further trouble." 

"We finally have a smart lass," the man smiled for the first time and walked away, his shiny business shoes clacking. A sudden motion jolted Hyeri as the plane began to descend. When the jet finally landed, Hyeri was in the middle of a cluster of guards, getting led to the dressing room. When she was alone, Hyeri breathed a sigh of relief and examined the clothes that sat before her. There was a neatly folded gray blouse to put on stop of a plain black shirt. A knee length skirt, gray, matched the blouse. Slacks were to be put on with long white socks. A bitter chuckle came out of Hyeri's mouth, thinking that this was too much like her school uniform. 

"I'm ready," Hyeri walked out and was greeted by a thin petite woman.

"I will be checking that you have nothing from home on you," the woman authoratively paced around her. Hyeri's thoughts of stupid government people were confirmed. Of course she had things from home! Herself, her face, her hair, her memories, and her personalities.

"You've been a good girl," the woman's bony hand patted Hyeri's head and she bought her to a long hallway.

"When they call your name, please walk down the hallway and get onto the stage." The lady instructed before leaving. Hyeri was left alone yet again. She wondered if she would ever see Tao again. A few hours ago, they had their parting but she already missed him so. 

A loud speakerphone bought her back to Earth, "Now, for this years contestant, Park Hyeri and Huang Zitao!" People began to cheer. Hyeri's heart lept at Tao's name as she made her way to the stage. Across from her, she saw Tao, in black jeans and a gray shirt. He smiled across to her. A small grin flitted across Hyeri's lips before the bald man from the plane came up on stage to say something.

"We will have our usual introductions, a few questions and you all are free to eat!" The bald man handed to microphone to Hyeri and told her to introduce herself and tell a little about herself. Like I was going to spill my life to these people, she scoffed. 

"I'm Park Hyeri." She blinked at the waiting audience.

"Go on," the man encouraged me.

"I hope I win." Hyeri tilted her head, feeling everyone scrutinizing her. The bald man stood there awkwardly, expecting me to break down or rant like the past people. Hyeri wasn't that stupid. She wasn't one to express much feelings and was woman with few words.

"Ok then, how about you?" He turned to Tao and handed him the mic when it was clear that Hyeri wouldn't speak anymore.

Tao stared ahead, not really looking at anyone in particular, "Call me Tao. I'm a wushu fighter and I will get her out alive." The audience nodded in approval at his brave words. Appearantly, it was written all across the bald man's face; they were the only contestants that have said so little.

"Mingle and enjoy then! You guys are in the middle." He excused them. Everyone looked for their name plates for their places to sit. Tao and Hyeri looked at the middle and saw the one and only president sitting there. Thankfully, there were only 3 seats at that table so they wouldn't have to meet to many people.

"Let's go," Tao leaned and whispered to Hyeri. Guards were behind them, as always, watching every thing carefully.

"Agreed," hand in hand, they walked to their table in the middle.

 

A/N- chappie up! :D man, the overdose music vid. I know it's been out for some time, but everytime I watch it, it's like...!!!

tumblr_maijba5KHp1qgroxz.gif