Extended family

Catch a falling star

“Who’s that?” Minhee’s head appeared beside Jae Hee’s.

“Park Minhee!” Jae Hee shouted at her friend, hand clutching her chest. How could her friend appear out of nowhere without making a sound?

“What?” Minhee innocently asked.

“You should not surprise people.”

“Did I surprise you? I just asked you a question. Who’s that? Are you not telling us something? Was that your boyfriend? Yah, Nam Jae Hee answer me!” Minhee rapidly fired at her friend.

“Why do you sound so bitter? I thought that stone heart of yours just got melted.” Jae Hee snickered. “Yes, you surprised me. Where did you come from? And what are you talking about.”

Minhee pointed her lips to the direction where the weird man went. “Who’s that guy?”

Jae Hee turned her head to the direction Minhee pointed. “Who?”

“The guy who was with you earlier. The one who carried the bags.”

“Oh, him.” Minhee looked at Jae Hee expectantly. “I don’t know.” Jae Hee shrugged.

Minhee wanted to strangle her friend right then. How come she didn’t know? The man walked her home and even carried her things for Pete’s sake! She has to know. “What do you mean by you don’t know? What’s his name?”

“I really don’t know. I just met him. I tripped yesterday, remember? I spilled coffee on him. When I went to the grocer earlier, I bumped into him again and he helped me when the bags ripped,” Jae Hee kept on looking at their front door as she explained to her friend, becoming more agitated by the second. “Is Woohyun oppa already here?” Ah, so that was why she looked nervous.

“Yes. He’s with Sunggyu oppa.” Minhee answered.

“Really? With Sunggyu oppa?” Jae Hee breathed out a sigh of relief. “Thanks Min, I’ll get going now!”

-----------------

“Woohyun oppa! I’m home!” Jae Hee shouted after opening the door. She raised the bags of groceries. “I brought these!”

“Figures.” Woohyun took the bags from her sister and went to the kitchen, carefully putting the contents in the drawer. “You forgot again Jae?” He looked at her sister over his shoulder. Her sister seemed to making this a habit, a bad habit at that.

Jae Hee grinned sheepishly at her brother. She couldn’t lie to him now, could she? It sometimes bother her how brother knew everything.

 Woohyun ruffled her hair. “Don’t forget next time.”

“You know she will.” A man with very small eyes you expect him not to see anything appeared.

“Sunggyu oppa!” Jae Hee ran and hugged her other oppa. Actually, it’s her brother’s friend, but they don’t really care about that difference though. Not when she practically grew up with them surrounding her like real brothers. They even nag worse than Woohyun.

“I brought you something.” Sunggyu went to search something in his bag. “Ta-da!” He held a book in his hand and waved it in the air.

“Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.” Jae Hee dreamily snatched the book away from Sunggyu’s hand. “Thank you, oppa!” She then went to her room to put the book in her shelves. Yes, shelves.

Sunggyu laughed at how her sister- her friend’s sister can be happy with just the smallest things.

“How did you know the book that she likes?” Woohyun asked his friend, standing beside him.

“I saw her eyeing it when we went to the bookshop last week.”

“Why didn’t I saw it?” Woohyun looked really puzzled but Sunggyu just grinned triumphantly at him.

“Hyung, I’m curious too. It’s a difficult feat considering the size of your eyes.” A smiling tall man appeared at the door.

“You really had to in and ruin my festive mood, eh Sungyeol?”

“Someone had to hyung.” A man with feminine features stood beside Sungyeol.

“I could easily break that arm of yours Sungjong.” Sunggyu gave the two newcomers a glare. At least that’s what Sunggyu calls a glare. Though someone can’t really tell if Sunggyu is glaring or not.

“Stop it already you three. Give me some peace and quiet here.” Woohyun said to his friends even though he knew the night with them would not be peaceful and quiet.

“Jae! Sungyeol oppa and Sungjong oppa are here!” Sungyeol shouted.

Jae Hee went out of her room and ran towards Sungyeol who was waiting for her with open arms. “Sungyeollie oppa!” Sungyeol twirled her around. “Jae Jae!”

“Hyung put down Jae already. I want to hug her too.” Sungjong whined while stomping his feet.

Sungyeol put down Jae Hee. “Aigoo, my girl oppa is also here.” Jae Hee hugged Sungjong.

Sungjong tried to twirl Jae Hee around like what Sungyel did, but cannot do so. Oh, the down side of having skinny girl’s arms. It’s not suited for carrying heavy things. Err, for carrying Jae Hee that is.

Jae Hee tiptoed and patted Sungjong on the head. “It’s okay oppa. You’re my girl oppa after all.”

 “Okay. Okay. Enough of that tearful reunion. It’s not as if you haven’t seen each other for ten years. You saw each other a week ago.” Woohyun shooed Sungyeol and Sungjong away from Jae Hee and pulled his sister to his side.

“Awwwww.” Sungjong and Sungyeol whined simultaneously. “Don’t be such a party pooper hyung.”

“And now I’m the bad guy.” Woohyun shook his head at his friends. They’re worse than children, really. Whining here like two big idiots.

“Stop that.” Sunggyu’s ears was already ringing because of the two newcomers. “Let’s just eat dinner already. I’m hungry.” Sunggyu was rubbing his stomach.

Jae Hee nodded in agreement to Sunggyu. “What did you cook oppa?” She looked at her brother, expecting him to magically produce food from behind.

Woohyun spread his arms. “Nothing. I cooked nothing. When I arrived, there was nothing to cook neither in the pantry nor in the refrigerator.”

Four pairs of eyes looked at the only girl in the room.

Jae Hee grinned at her oppas. “Eat out, anyone?”