Home at last

Catch a falling star

“Woooooooooooooh!”

Someone near Jae Hee’s ear shouted. She shifted position, wanting to go back to sleep.

“Woooooooooooooh!”

Another shout echoed near her. She pushed down the towel she had put on her face and turned around to catch the culprit.

And immediately found three men sitting at the backseat of Woohyun’s car playing rock, paper, and scissors.

Really? Could these oppas become any more childish? Her head hurt already. She just wanted some peace and quiet in order to sleep. But Sunggyu, Sungyeol, and Sungjong were not making that endeavor possible. Not with their shouting sprees.

She sighed, turning to her brother. “Could you make them shut up, oppa?” She asked, hopeful that her brother could.

“You know I can’t.” He told her, not taking his eyes off the road.

She could only sigh in resignation. No one could make them shut up, for that matter. It was an impossible feat. This was the reason why she was so surprised when Woohyun told her that Sunggyu went out on a date. Really, who would want to?

“Oppa, is it really true Sunggyu oppa went on a date?”

“What?” Woohyun couldn’t hear her in the middle of all the shouting that was happening at the back.

“Is it really true Sunggyu oppa went on a date?” Jae Hee shouted. Now she was shouting too. She couldn’t believe she stooped down on this level.

Woohyun chuckled. “I also can’t believe it. But, yes he did.”

“The girl must have been in some kind of a spell.” Jae Hee muttered under her breath.

“I heard that.” Sunggyu said, rather sternly.

The shouting has died down. A feat she thought was impossible.

“Really oppa?” She snickered. It seemed like the old man may have small eyes but big ears.

“Don’t give me that look. And yes, I went out on a date just so you know.” Sunggyu covered his face with his hands.

“You messed up, didn’t you?” Jae Hee asked, in a matter-of-fact tone.

“You don’t have to rub it in my face you know.”

“And she doesn’t want to see you again?”

Sunggyu nodded.

“She doesn’t deserve you anyway.”

“And why is that?”

Jae Hee turned her eyes on the road. They were near home now.

“Because if she sincerely liked you, she would still want to see you even if you made a mess out of yourself.” She told Sunggyu, her sense of loyalty surfacing. “Look at us oppa, we still want to be with you even if you’re a complete idiot.”

Sunggyu didn’t know whether to smile at her or strangle her.

Sungyeol and Sungjong grinned at Sunggyu, tapping him on his back.

Woohyun laughed. “You won’t strangle her Gyu, you love her. She might be the only girl that would do that, with the exception of your mother.”

Sunggyu could only sigh. Woohyun and Jae Hee really were siblings.

“We’re here!” Jae Hee happily shouted.

Woohyun curled his lips into a smile. His sister jumped out of the car immediately after he parked it beside the house.

“Omma! Appa!” Jae Hee bellowed, running towards the door.

“Careful Jae! You’ll slip!” He reminded his sister, bringing their bags with him.

“We’ll be off in our respective homes Woohyun.” Sunggyu said to Woohyun, Sungjong and Sungyeol waving behind him.

“Araso. I’ll see you guys soon.”

“Jae! Wait for me!” Woohyun shouted at his sister. He has a hunch as to what will happen before she reached the door. She will---

Thump!

Jae Hee slipped, confirming Woohyun’s hypothesis.

The front door opened, revealing a couple. Their eyes widened when they looked down and saw Jae Hee sprawled on the ground.

Jae Hee looked up and grinned, not moving from her position.

“We’re home, Omma, Appa.”

 

 “I told her to be careful Omma, Appa.” Woohyun told their parents, kissing them both on the cheeks and hugging them.

“I was careful oppa. I just didn’t see the ice.” Jae Hee stood up, brushing ice off her coat. She gave her parents bear hugs and kisses. “I missed you, Omma, Appa.”

“We missed you and your brother too.” Her mother ruffled Jae Hee’s hair.

“Both of you come in already, its cold.” Their father ushered Woohyun and Jae Hee inside the house.

“You two should go to your rooms. Change your clothes and rest a bit while I prepare you food.” Mrs. Nam told them.

“Ne Omma.” Woohyun and Jae Hee scurried to their rooms immediately.

Jae Hee sat on her bed and folded her legs. She stared around the room and let out a contented sigh. She was home at last.

She smiled to herself, lying down on her bed. She missed her room. It was the first part of the house Woohyun financed for renovation when he became an engineer three years ago. The rest of the house went under renovation after that.

She considered herself lucky for having a brother like Woohyun, though he constantly annoys her at times. She saw through the arrogant façade of her brother, and what she always saw was a man who cares for his family. His actions proved her theory to be true.

A knock on her door pulled her away from her reverie.

“Come in.” She stayed lying on the bed; she already knew who it was.

“What were you thinking a while ago?” Woohyun asked her, leaning on the door frame.

“How did you know I was thinking?”

“You had that conjuring look on your face.”

Jae Hee glared at her brother. It was one of those annoying times with him.

Woohyun laughed, his sister should practice her glare already. Her angry look couldn’t even scare a cat.

“It means that thoughts are running on your brain and someone must not disturb you.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Change your clothes already, food is already served.”

“Araso.”

Woohyun left, closing the door behind him.

 

“How’s work, Woohyun?” Mr. Nam asked his son.

They were already at the dining table, eating.

“Great, Appa.”

“Are you not over working yourself?” Mrs. Nam asked Woohyun, voice tinged with concern.

Jae Hee opened to say something when Woohyun stomped on her foot.

“I’m not Omma.” Woohyun smiled amiably.

“You do over time almost all the time.” Jae Hee hissed at Woohyun’s ear.

“Am not.” Woohun hissed back at her sister.

“Jae, how’s university?” Mr. Nam asked her daughter.

“I’m doing well Appa. It’s great studying in the city, though there are times that I miss you and Omma.”

“Aigoo. Our daughter is really sweet.” Mrs. Nam cooed.

“Jae Hee’s dating someone.” Woohyun dropped the statement like a bomb.

Jae Hee’s jaw dropped. “I am?”

Mr. Nam choked on his food. “She is?”

Woohyun nodded.

Jae Hee punched her brother on the shoulder. “I am not. How come you know and I do not?”

“She goes home late Appa. Also, she ditched me and the gang the last time.” Woohyun told their father matter-of-factly.

“Good for her then. If she really is dating like you told us. It’s time Jae Hee gets a boyfriend, now that she’s already a lady.” Mrs. Nam told Woohyun.

It was Woohyun’s turn to drop his jaw at his mother’s comment.

“When are you going to get a girlfriend, son?” His father asked Woohyun.

Woohyun’s jaw dropped. If it could drop even more. Why did he become the center of attention now? It was supposed to be her sister who would be grilled by their parents.

Jae Hee snickered at her brother. She was utterly enjoying the food and conversation altogether.

“Soon, Appa.” Woohyun told his father.

“I think oppa is not planning to get a girlfriend soon Appa.”

Woohyun glared at her sister. “I am.”

“You are? I didn’t saw your inclination to do so.”

“Children, stop that bickering already. Eat your food.” Their mother told them.

“Ne, Omma.”

“Omma, have you seen Minhee and Chanmin already?” Jae Hee asked her mother.

“Yes. I saw them the other day. I was surprised you didn’t go home together.”

“Those traitors. I’ll let them taste my revenge.” Jae Hee murmured.

Woohyun raised her eyebrow at her sister’s remark. Revenge, really?

“Omma, Appa, I’m going to see Minhee and Chanmin after eating. Is that alright?”

“You can. Now eat up, you’ve gone thin.” Her mother said, putting more food on Jae Hee’s plate.