02

Wallflower

Today's first afternoon class was PE. I hate PE, I hate moving around too much and using my energy to some stuffs.

I lazily change into my PE uniform which was basically a shirt and sweats, I usually roll my sweats to knee-length to avoid looking like a midget. Yes, I'm not that tall, not that short either but they say my legs were long, most of the time I think it was just flattery. I also fold my sleeves twice, I have this thing for folding my sleeves or rolling my sweats up, not that I want to expose my skin, I feel more comfortable this way. I examine my face on the mirror, I'm pale and my upper lip's thinner than the bottom. I usually dab a tint on my cheek to give it a color but I don't really care about how I look as long as I'm comfortable.

I always tie my hair up in a ponytail during PE classes, Injoo told me tons of times to take my glasses off but I just can't. I won't. I feel too bare without my glasses on even though it keeps sliding down my nose. Injoo ties her hair in a low pair of pigtails, she looks adorable. No wonder why guys always run after her, she was indeed beautiful and bubbly, I know I can try to be that but I chose not to. I don't want to be noticed. I prefer being a wallflower than being a socialite. That's too..tiring? Was it the right word to use? But meh, being a socialite is not on my list.

This day's lesson was dodgeball, I hate dodgeball. I really hate it. I have to run around, avoiding and dodging the balls.

Such a waste of energy.

She thought as she leaned on the wall, scanning the crowd who were in groups, warming up and chattering. Injoo was surrounded by boys but ignores them. Chen was also surrounded by girls, well he wasn't alone though, Kai was beside him on the bleachers, looking uninterested at everything lke everytime.

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt!

Groans at the sound of the whistle, our gym teacher was grouping us. I crossed my fingers; hoping to be in the same group as Injoo but the heavens must have not seen my crossed fingers. As I look around at my group, I was suprised to see Chen, he was in the same group as mine.

Well, this isn't that bad, I guess.

She internally smiled as she went to her position which was in the center of the group, it was the safest spot. It's where she could save up her energy than running around, dodging balls.

As the game starts, everyone was enthusiastic; running around, dodging and passing balls around. Well, me? I just stood at the center of my group, just looking around, moving a bit as they run and dodging a bit as the ball came flying lilke a fireball. I fix my glasses as it keeps sliding off. The group started losing members who got hit and there's about 5 people in my group and 7 on the opposite and hey! I was still in the game, great.

I started using a bit more of my energy as we lost 2 more members and the other lost 3. Me, Chen and some other dude was still on the team and Injoo was still on too and then I noticed Kai, he was also still in the game. I expected him to just lazily walk around but he was moving around, fast. I didn't want to lose so I started running around fast, dodging balls and passing them fast. Sweats races down from my forehead, making my glasses slip off more often now, I had to hold on to my glasses to prevent it from sliding off but then I heard Injoo screamed, I looked up and saw the ball coming right towards me, I was too suprised to move an inch and then BAM! I got facepalmed with a ball.

I felt I fell down on the ground and I heard something crack, was that my nose? Naah.. I couldn't care at the moment as everything went blur, I could still hear Injoo screaming at my face then everything went black. I fainted, I know.

 

I slowly flutter my eyes open but my vision was still a blur, I rub my eyes to clear my vision then a white ceiling came to view. I blinked a few more times and my brain's telling me I'm in the clinic,at least my IQ didn't drop down. And then I felt someone squeezing my hand.

"Aigoo, Injoo- ah stop wor-" my words came to a halt as I saw the owner of the hand and it was none other than, Chen. Yes, Chen. I'm pretty sure my mouth's agape, took me some time to finally clamp it close.

"Oh, you're awake" he said, smiling down at me and loosening his grip on my hand.

"Sumin-ah! I thought you were dead! I was so worried" Injoo jolted up from her seat from the other side and I felt chen's hand retreating, I hid my disappointment away and sat up a little to flick Injoo's forehead, clicking my tongue along.

"Aish. It was just a ball, not a bullet. Couldn't kill me anyway" I shrug as I raise my hand up to my forehead and felt a little bump, seems like it was bruised. I sigh partly because in pain and in embarassment to chen. I rub my nose and realized it wasn't broken at all.

"Eh? My nose didn't broke? What could it-" I was cut off when I saw my broken glasses on my sidetable, I cursed under my breath but shrugged it off as the pain was stinging from that little bump on my forehead, I pouted as I touch it again and chen gave me an icepack

"Here, it'll help to lessen the swollen part" he placed it on my forehead, just ontop of the bump, I winced at the sharp coldness of the pack and then I noticed someone standing at the corner of the room, I squinted my eyes to look at his face and then I locked my gaze with that empty stare. I blinked a few times before breaking the connection, he cleared his throat as he came forward; both hands shoved in his pockets.

"Sorry" he abruptly said, looking straight in my eyes, his eyes were dead like every other time. I gulp as I look away and asked

"Sorry, for?"

"Hitting you..on the head. I wasn't my intention"

"Oh, it was you. Gwaenchana" I nodded at his direction but is avoiding his eyes, they were scary.

If only you dodged that ball. I heard him say as he was about to turn around, my eyebrows went up, almost connecting to the ends of my forehead

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed, waiting for him to turn around and apologize, he pauses for a while. His back's facing me then continued walking out of the room, I was flabbergasted at his rude actions. Chen must've seen my face and apologizes on his behalf

"Mianhe, yuko-ah. Kai's just like that" he scratches the back of his head

Yeah, he's like that. Rude.

Injoo told me to lie back down and rest for awhile since they had to go back to class and I had to stay back in the clinic. I didn't complain at all. Resting for a while felt good and I just snooze off the whole afternoon. And by the time I woke up, it was already 5, I sat up and a bottle of soda at the sidetable caught my eye with a sticky note attached on it, it read:

Hey. I'm sorry for today. Accept this as an apology.

- KJ

"KJ? Oh, must be from chen, Kim Jongdae" I smiled a little and took the soda with me as I left the room, pressing it on my forehead since it was still cool and went home straight to rest. Yes, that's what she needed the most. Rest, more rest since she used too much energy this day.