04

Wallflower

I looked at the date today that was encircled with a sharpie.

21. September 21.

It's his day. It's Chen's birthday.

I'm pretty sure he'll be receiving tons of gifts, chocolates and love letters. I sighed as I drop on my bed, not even ready for school since I woke up early. Too early. Like it was 4 in th morning.

I nibble on my lowerlip as I glance at a box sealed with a ribbon on my sidetable, hesistating if I should give it to him or not.

 

I kept the box in my bag as I head to school, it was already 6 in the morning when I arrived. I went in our desserted classroom and neatly placed the box under the table where we kept our textbooks. I wandered around the campus since our class won't start til 8. I found myself climbing the stairs that led to the rooftop. The wind greeted me as soon as I push open the metal door, the air was cool and refreshing. I took a few steps forward and sat on one of the continuous bench.

I sensed something else. Someone else. I know someone's here, someone got here before me. I whip my head around to look for that person and found him lying down on the bench a few feet away from mine. I knew it was him. From his brown hair to the way he wore his uniform. I'm sure it was him.

I observed him from a distance, he was lying down on his back, his side facing me. His facial expression was soft, it wasn't the usual cold and straight look on his face. His nose was a bit crooked. My eyes fell on his lips, it was so full and plump. His skin wasn't dark, it was tanned. As the wind blew, strands of his hair fell on his closed eyes. He doesn't really look scary when he's asleep though.

He seems harmless, he looks so relaxed and- but wait, what's he doing here early in the morning? Did he slept here?

I tilt my head to the side as I thought of some possible answers then his body twitched, I held my breath as I look at him. Asleep. He was still asleep. Thanks goodness for that. But gibberish sounds came out of his mouth and his face turned into a scowl, he was having a nightmare. I could tell  from his fretful face. I fought the urge to go over and wake him up, instead, I stood up and left the rooftop. I didn't want to see his fretful face, in some way. I felt a pang of sadness just by looking at his face, groaning in his nightmares.

I pinned myself against the wall as I try to catch my breath, I didn't realize I was running the whole time. What's happened to him? And why am I worrying over him? I shook my head to clear and sort out my thoughts, I straightened up and walk casually back to the classroom. Trying to forget the fretful look on his face. Why do I even care?

 

SAENGIL CHUKKHA HAMNIDA~

Everyone sang a birthday song to chen as soon as he arrived and popped party poppers, he was smiling widely at us. I could see he was suprised and happy at the same time. Someone placed a cake before him and everyone chanted him to blow out the candles. He paused a little; closing his eyes as he whisper some wish to himself before blowing out the candle. Everyone cheered and clapped, greeting him once again.

I glanced at his desk which was mounted with various gifts, box and letters. Will he even notice mine? I looked up as I saw Kai who just entered the class, I check his face with traces of his nightmares but I couldn't find any. It was concealed under his cold and straight look but he did toss something in the pile of gifts.

I wonder what he gave him. I asked myself then Injoo pulled me to the side.

"This is the perfect time for you to confess to him, sumin-ah!" she chirped as her eyes turns into cresent form, I held myself from smacking her head

"Ya. There's a lot of people today since it's his birthday. Paboya?" I spat as I tilt his head towards chen

"Yeah! That's why you should take the opportunity to confess since everyone else is busy" now that got me thinking but I shook my head

"No"

"Oops. Too late. I already left a sticky note on his desk that read: Meet me on the rooftop after class." she giggled, I was on the verge on strangling her to death on the spot but held back since she was my bestfriend

"WAE" I harshly whispered on her ear, she winces as she poke her ear

"Ey, just do it. It's now or never. Last year of college and after college, there's a possibility that you won't be able to confess and you'll regret it in the future" her words were eating me up but I just can't bring myself to confess, I kept shaking my head

"Well, you can't do anything about it now. I already stuck it on his desk" She smirked evilly and she was right, I can't do anything about it since she already stuck it on his desk. He probably read it by now, I bit my lowerlip as I look at his direction, he was already clearing his desk and there were lots of papers underneath the pile. He might just have read hers, she closed her eyes as she start practicing her confession in her mind. Her hands grew sweaty and she kept rubbing the sweat off her palm on her skirt. She kept nibbling her lowerlip all thru out the morning class til after her afternoon classes.

She stood infront of the wall at the corner of their classroom; gripping on both straps of her bag tight. The others left already, including chen, Injoo literally had to peel me off the wall and pushed me til we got to the stairs that led to the rooftop. I squeezed on my straps as I took baby steps towards the metal door, I gripped on the metal bar and swings it open and found him already standing a few feet away from me with his back facing me. This was it, I had to do it. Now.