03

Wallflower

The next day, the bump has gotten smaller after some icepack treatment back at home and hid the bump under my bangs.

A familiar arm slung on my shoulder, Injoo. Her curls fell perfectly on her shoulders. I hung my hair down today and what's special about this day is that, I wasn't wearing my glasses and Injoo was smiling widely at me, practically beaming at me.

"See? You look better without those crappy glasses of yours"

"Are you sure you didn't ask Kai to purposely hit me on the face?" I narrowed my eyes at her and then she goes babbling about our friendship and why would she do such things to her bestfriend. I should sign her up in theatrical arts next semester. I chortled as I tug her arm away and drop on my seat, stretching my legs underneath. I looked down on my open books but I swear I could feel pairs of eyes on me, when I look up, I was right. Some of the boys were staring at me, even girls too. I felt weird and uncomfortable. I don't like the feeling of being stared at. I kept my head low until some guy went up to me and leaned his on my desk, I look up to him; raising a brow

"Aigoo. Yuko. You should've took off those glasses ages ago, it hid your beauty" he exclaimed as he leaned forward, I sigh silently and uses the bottom tip of my pen to push his face away from me by poking it on his cheeks; shooing him away. I heard guys whistling, I rolled my eyes. This is the main reason why I've always wanted to be a wallflower. This is too bothersome.

"See? Told ya" Injoo nudged me by my shoulders and I sent her a glare and she responded with her childish mehrongs. I shook my head in disbelief-slash-disgust at her childish act and resumes reading the whole chapter for some quiz later. The others doesn't seemed to care a lot about the quiz, I had to plug in my earphones to lessen the noise. I kept my head low from any distractions (aka chen).

 

Goodthing I studied on advance and I was able to answer our profs questions, it always felt good after getting the right answer. It always makes me relieve that I actually focused on my studies after various of incidents.

After the bell rang, I packed up quickly and ran towards the cafeteria before Injoo drags me again. I looked back to see if she was catching up and when I faced forward, my face fell flat against someone's chest. I caught a whiff of his cologne and it smelled great, not too strong, not too sweet. Just right. I looked up to see who this great-smelling guy was and I had to gulp down some air as I recognize the pair of empty, dead eyes staring at me. I backed a few steps away from him and bowed slightly.

"Mianhe, Kai-ssi"

"Hmm" his voice vibrated from his throat but not opening his mouth and walk past me, aigoo. This guy is seriously scaring the creeps out of her. She looks back to look at him but Injoo running towards her came in sight and she sprints forward again.

 

"E-eh? You mean Chen-ssi carried me all the way to the clinic?" My eyes were as round as a saucer after hearing what Injoo told me and she gave me a nod

"Neh, he panicked and carried you without thinking twice"

"Ooh..he did that?" I had to bite the insides of my cheeks to prevent it from blusing, the mere thought of chen hollding her hand already drove her crazy. What more when he actually carried her? Sumin felt like she was in a boat, swaying from side to side. Lost, drowning in her thoughts of him

"Ya" Injoo stared at her weirdly and she quickly snaps out of it and clears

"W-well, that was kind of him"

"Yeaah. Kind" Injoo narrowed her eyes at me but avoided it and looked somewhere else but it seems like her eyes clung onto a pair of eyes

Oh no, not him again.

She thought as she breaks the connection and focuses on her food instead and as usual, she took a quick glance towards chen who was still the usual chen. She feels relieved after seeing chen's bright smile. It calms her somehow.

 

It was music class. All of us held different kinds of instrument. I hugged a guitar and strummed a few chords along to the song.

Everyone was noisy and off-tune, until our teacher silenced us. We all smiled sheepishly at her.

"Chen, sing the right tone please" she requested and Chen, without hesistation, started singing this folk song. I hugged the guitar tighter as I hear him sing. My heart was beating so fast at the sound of his sweet voice. I cupped my tinted cheeks and looked away and guess who I made in contact with? Yep. Him, again.

I just don't get why his eyes were so dead. Honestly, I've never seen the guy smile or laugh. He was llike a robot or something.

I shook the thought away as I redirect my attention to chen who was singing sweetly, hitting the right notes. Ugh. Why does he have to be so perfect?

Ya, Baek Sumin! Get a hold of yourself.

I heard my conscience warned.

I straighten up and continues strumming the guitar along with the music that the others has already created in rhythm with Chen. I found myself tapping my foot along with the beat, Injoo sat next to me, shaking her tambourine and hitting it with her palm. Music class was always the best. It was our favorite subject among the rest. We get to have fun and enjoy music. Well not everyone though. I glanced at Kai who was leaning against the wall, not moving an inch from his position. Staring at nothingness. I wonder what goes thru his head, is it the same as his eyes, empty?