01

Wallflower

Last year of college. Last year 'til the students transforms back to humans.

Yes.

Yuko thought as she steps in the building and walks thru the thick crowd in this long hallway. 3 years has passed since she first step in this University and she didn't have any problem with other students since they don't even notice her existence. She was a wallflower, a nobody.

Her classmates barely knows her except one person. Injoo, my bestfriend since preschool, we were inseperable ever since. But she was the complete opposite of me, she was the happy-go-lucky type of girl and was really popular among boys but nevertheless, our friendship never falter with this different social status in this university.

"Sumin-ah" she slungs her arm around my neck as I step in our classroom, I roll my eyes at her as I tug her arm away

"Don't call me that in public, Injoo-ah. I'm Yuko" pulls out my chair next to hers as I drop on my seat and leans on my desk as she sat on my desk with that betrayed look on her face as she clamps her hand on her chest

"Ya, how can you say that. We've been bestfriends since forever, sumin-ah" she puffs her cheeks and shows her pair of puppy eyes glistening at me, uses the bottom tip of my pen to poke her face away from my face and shooed her away from my desk as I settle my books ontop of my desk and starts skimming thru the pages

Aigoo. Such a nerd. I heard her talk under her breath

I roll my eyes and fixes my glasses as it slid down my nose. Yes, she was a nerd. A bookworm. It was her priority, her promise to her parents who were out of the country. Her family's status was honestly above average but she didn't want to boast, she didn't want anyone to notice her. Yep, such a wallflower. She prefers to stay by the shadows than being the centre of attraction, popularity wasn't important to her. Maintaining her grade was.

But there was one person who always steals her attention and notices her other than Injoo. It was none other than Kim Jongdae, Chen. He was the boy version of Injoo, the happy-go-lucky kind of guy and is really popular among girls. She couldn't resist but glance at him as he enters the classroom, he was smiling as usual and he always tucks his inner shirt in neatly and brushes his hair back and the girls would swoon over him as he passes by. Sumin immediately looks down after 5 seconds. She kinda have this 5 seconds rule, she shouldn't look at a guy (especially chen) for more than 5 seconds.

Then Kim Jongin came in after chen in his usual poker face and his untidy look. He doesn't buttons his coat and wears his tie loose and he doesn't even takes time to fix his disheveled hair. He is the complete opposite of chen but nevertheless, he was also popular among girls. Seeing a girl cry infront of him is pretty normal, it happens everyday. He'd receive confessions but he always turns them down with a straight face but damn, they kept coming the next day and the next day and the next next day. Yes, he's goodlooking. Yes, he's y. But no, she doesn't like him. No, because he wasn't chen.

Focus, focus. She scolds herself as she tries to focus on some literary piece, highlighting important words or keywords and always reads the verse twice to fully understand the piece. She fixes her glasses again as it slid down her nose, she plugs in her earphones but not connecting it to her phone. She does this to block out the noise, to be able to focus.

"Yuko-ah" someone pulls out my right earphone, I tore my face away from my book and looks up to where the voice was coming, expecting it to be Injoo but was suprised to see chen smiling down at me. She then puts on her cold look on her face to cover up her true feelings.

"Ah neh, Chen-ssi?" she tries to keep her voice plain and stable, she doesn't want chen to know about her affection towards him. She doesn't have an ounce of courage to go up to him and confess. She just couldn't risk to.

"Do you still have the notes from yesterday's history class? Can I borrow?" he rubs his nape shyly while lowering his head a bit, she held a smile back and reaches in between books to pull out a small notebook

"Here, you can return it later Chen-ssi" she passes it to him and he nods; smiling brightly, melting her heart away with that smile. She had to look away before he notices that pink tint on her cheeks. She exhales deeply as he went back to his seat which was rows infront, she was safe.

 

As the bell rang, everyone was racing out the door. All too glad to have a break from all those discussions. Keeping your eyes open all thru out the discussion was already a hard task, imagine your brain trying to absorb all the knowledge. Ugh.

"Sumin, kaja" Injoo already got a hold of my arm as she pulls me up, not even letting me finish packing up and drags me out of the classroom and thru the crowd. By the time we got to the cafeteria, I was already beaten up from bumping from one person to another, I had to say sorry continuously.

"Ya, don't just drag me-" I wasn't even finish with my protest as she drags me again to a table and dumps me on the chair, I was already glaring at her thru my glasses; puffing my cheeks at the process. I sometimes think I was just some doll or robot to her but it was good that way. In a way where I know she doesn't ignore me or leave me out. I was thankful to her, I'll surely add her on my speech at the end of the schoolyear.

"Wait here, I'll buy us food"

"Ya. What am I to you? Your dog? I can buy on my own. I have money too" I clicked my tongue but she just giggled and pats my head along with some remarks like 'good doggy'. I crossed my arms over my chest and waits for her, looking around in the process and I got a glimpse of chen and kai on the table across ours. I shift uncomfortably on my chair as I met Kai's empty gaze. His eye were dead most of the time.

"Ya, who are you staring at?" Injoo came back with some sandwiches and bottles of soda, I jolt a bit from my chair, startled to realize his gaze was still locked with mine. I immediately divert my gaze away and looks at Injoo.

"Ah no one, no one" I lied. And she read thru me, she gave me this face which spells out shut-up-you-liar. I awkwardly laugh as I stuff my face with the sandwich. Good thing she just shrugged it off but this kai guy give me the creeps, he scares me. Totally opposite from chen, how could they approach that kind of guy with his straight, cold face. I then gave chen a quick glance that didn't last for more than 5 seconds, she caught him in his usual bright aura which takes away all of Kai's bad aura.

I'm not biased or something but from most of the things, Chen just stands out the most. From his bubbly attitude, everyone seems to know him and a lot are head over heels for the guy. I mentally sighed as I took another lousy bite on my sandwich, chewing it slowly with all thoughts of chen clouding my mind.

"Ya, you like him, don't you?" Injoo nudged me and tilts her head towards Chen's table, I snort as I lower my head.I prefer not to talk than to make it more obvious to her but then again, she knows me well. Too well. She didn't even wait for my reply as she suggested something that was on the bottom of my list.

"Confess to him" she plainly said along with a shrug, I furrowed my eyebrow. Relaying a big NO.

"No" I shook my head. No way. I'm not confessing. Nu-uh.