Playing Cupid

Way Back

Kim was walking happily to the gates of the school, recalling the past events she had with Luhan. She thought that it was really nice of him to go out of his way and spend time with her. She realized that she really was important to Luhan and that made her feel loved.  Still, she feels a pang of guilt knowing that in order for Luhan to spend more time with her, he needs to give up important hours for practice. What would happen if Luhan really does debut? Will they still be able to find a way for them to work out? Kim’s afraid that she’ll be a selfish girlfriend in the future and she dreads the thought of asking Luhan to stop being a trainee, so that they’ll be together.

She brushes off the thought and sighs deeply, thinking of other ways that they can be together. I’ll find a way, Kim thought.

As she got closer to the school gates, she caught sight of a familiar figure leaning on the left side of the main gate. Once their eyes met, Jungmin gave Kim a slight wave and a bright smile. Kim noticed Jungmin’s bright demeanor, he was always cheerful around Kim but today was different. He seems happy…a little too happy, Kim thought.

She smiled back at Jungmin and they walked side by side and went towards their classroom. Jungmin was grinning the whole time like a sugar high person. When they reached their classroom, Jungmin took his seat behind Kim and was smiling as he tapped his pencil on his desk. Kim turned around in her chair and placed her arm on the back of her chair and rested her chin on it.

She raised her eyebrow on Jungmin and he stared at her still smiling.

“You’re creepy today.” Kim said in a flat tone eyeing Jungmin in suspicion.

“What, is it a crime to be happy now?” Jungmin pretended to sound offended and placed his left hand over his chest.

“Kidding. So what happened? Why are you oozing with happiness?” Kim said as she smiled at Jungmin and wiggled her fingers while pointing at him.

“I made a friend at the park yesterday! Well, she was  grumpy at me but technically we’re friends.” Jungmin said as his eyes trained his tapping pencil.

“Why would she be grump… WOAH WOAH WOAH A SHE? AS IN A GIRL?” Kim said as she raised her voice that earned them glares from a few students inside the classroom.

Jungmin slightly hit Kim’s shoulder with his palm and laughed at her. Kim’s eyes turned big and round, waiting for his answer.

“Yes, Kim. I said she, as in a girl. What’s so shocking about that?” Jungmin asked and Kim just chuckled at him.

“Anyway, remember I sent you a text yesterday because I was going to walk Jjang? I accidentally…well a girl accidentally bumped into me and she was running real fast so she ended up falling on the floor.” Kim suddenly looked suspicious and tilted her head to the side urging him to go on.

“The girl was real cute and she looked like one of those cute chubby faced characters in a children’s cartoon but her attitude was like a whole different thing. She’s like top grade sassy!”

“Hmm…interesting. Sounds like someone I know.”  Kim said as she narrowed her eyes and asked Jungmin to continue.

“I don’t know her name but I have a feeling we might meet again. She has a pet too so maybe she’ll take her puppy out for a walk again.” Jungmin smiled as she remembered the girl’s smile when she looked at her puppy playing with Jjang.

“Well let’s test if that feeling’s true.” Kim smiled at Jungmin and he noticed that she looked like she was planning something.

“What do you mean?” He asked in confusion

“Let’s just say I’ll make it up to you for not showing up, arasso?” Kim smiled cheekily at him and gave him a thumbs up. Jungmin crossed his eyebrows thinking what is Kim up to. She wiggled her thumb in front of his face waiting for a confirmation before he swatted Kim’s hands away and pinched her cheeks. Kim huffed in annoyance and scrunched her nose at him.

“I’m trying to be a good friend here! My face does not need abusing.” Kim said as she turned her back at him and faced the teacher who just entered the classroom.

“Okay, class! Since we’ve just finish discussing two whole chapters of our book yesterday, I decided that I won’t give you a quiz-“ The teacher said as he got interrupted by the applause and screams of the students. He went up to his desk and took out a stack of papers from his filecase and raised his hand indicating the class to keep quiet.

“-but I want you to have a presentation or a report for each section of the chapters, so that I’ll know if you understood our lessons well. You’ll do this by pair and I expect you find your partners by the end of the period and tell me your pairings before you leave, so I can assign a certain topic to you.” The teacher looked at them as he handed out the guidelines and the rubrics for the report. Jungmin patted Kim’s shoulder and asked her if they could be partners. Kim turned around and gave him a judging look.

“Duh, you don’t have to ask.” She smiled at Jungmin and he stuck his tongue out at her before she turned around and studied the guidelines. When the class ended, they listed their names to their teacher and took their slip containing their topic.

“So when should we start?” Jungmin asked Kim while they were walking home.

“Tomorrow! Is that okay?” Kim quirked at him

“No prob. Your place or mine?” Kim stopped at her tracks and tilted her head to think for a while.

“How about the park that we were supposed to go to with Jjang? My place isn’t available and I need to buy something there.” She said while Jungmin pondered about the deal.

“Yeah sure, why not? You want me to bring Jjang  too?” Kim’s eyes lit up when she heard his suggestion.

“If it will attract your mystery girl crush, then yes!” She wiggled her eyebrows at Jungmin and poked his sides making him blush and stutter.  He defended himself and objected multiples times but Kim was persistent and kept blabbing about how she’ll make the girl her friend and plan on making them a couple. She squealed whenever she thought of a scenario that she planned and exclaim how perfect it is.

“I am sooo going to get you a love life. This is exciting, I can’t wait for tomorrow!”  She clasped her hands together and he noticed she was slightly skipping on the way to her house.

“Yah, I told you she’s not my crush, besides we’re not even sure if she’ll be at the park tomorrow.”  Jungmin said while trying to catch up to Kim and flicked the back of her head playfully.

“Hear that Jungmin?” Kim stopped and raised her hand, asking him to be quiet. Jungmin stopped too and looked around wondering what Kim was hearing or where it was coming from.

“Hear what?”  He gave Kim a confused look and Kim brought her face to his ear and whispered

“It’s the sound of self-denial.” 

“What the hell, Kim? I’m not denying anything.” Jungmin moved away from Kim with a shocked look upon his face. Kim laughed so hard and held her stomach before she was even able to speak. It took her 4 minutes to totally calm down.

“You should’ve seen your face! You looked so guilty and you were even blushing like a teenage girl.”  Kim said while still giggling as she made her way to the front door of her house. Jungmin grabbed her face and moved it closer to his their noses only inches away from each other.

“I’m not even red! Look closely!” He then shook Kim’s head to the sides and laughed when Kim breaked free from his grip and punched his arm.

“What was that for? My brain feels like it’s been dislocated.” She brought her hand up to her forehead and tapped it lightly, all the while giving Jungmin a deathly glare.

“It’s already dislocated.” Jungmin laughed at her earning him another punch on his arm. For a girl, Kim could throw a punch. He raised his hands in defeat and smiled at Kim apologetically.

“I give up! So, I’ll meet you tomorrow! “ Jungmin said while still holding his hands up in the air and slowly walking backwards away from Kim’s house.  She smiled and waved at him happily as she watched Jungmin wave back and start to leave.  Before she entered the house, she caught sight of a figure looming at a far away corner as if it was watching her. She squinted her eyes in hopes of getting a better look but the figure must have sensed her and left. Kim was weirded out but she shrugged it off immediately as she went inside and texted Sunmi.

“3:00 pm tomorrow! Let’s go to the park and bring Chaeli with you. Wear something nice!” Kim texted her friend as she made her way up to her. She was about to climb up the stairs when her mother called out to her from the kitchen.  She turned back and went to her mother asking her if she needed anything.

“What is it, umma?” She asked as she opened the fridge and took a bottle of orange juice. She kicked the bottom part of the fridge to close it and took a peek at what her mother was cooking.

“Did you meet Luhan on the way here?” Her mom asked while still stirring the sauce of what Kim assumed to be Italian spaghetti sauce.

“ Hmm…no. Did he go here?” Kim asked her mother as she sat on the chair eyeing the red medium sized box on top of the table. Her mother turned around saw her looking at it and she smiled at Kim who peeked inside the box.

“Yes, he actually just left about 10 minutes ago. That box is for you, by the way.” Kim’s mother continued stirring and checked her pasta if it was already cooked. Kim looked back at her mother and then to the box in front of her. She lifted the top cover of the box and she couldn’t stop her smile as she found out what was inside. It was a simple mocha caramel cake covered with vanilla icing and candy flowers on the side. There was also a message written on the cake that read “Saranghae, Yam!”

 She was about to take a bite out of the cake when her mother slapped her hand and reminded her that dinner should be eaten first.

“ So, how are you two going?” Her mom asked while turning off the stove and transferring the food on a bowl. Kim stood up and helped her mom set the table.

“We’re trying our best to be flexible despite our schedule.” She said as she laid out the plates on the table. Her mom set the pasta bowl at the center and held her hand as she looked warmly at Kim.

“Kimmy, I can see that Luhan can achieve so much in his chosen path. It will be difficult for you once all those achievements become true. Are you sure you’re strong enough when that time comes?”  Kim avoided this topic as much as possible but she knew that talking to her mother will help her clear her mind.

“I don’t know, umma. I kind of figured out why he’s been working extra hard. I think he’s going to debut soon.”

“If he does, what do you think will happen between the two of you?”

“I’m trying to be optimistic about it but I don’t want to hold him back.” By this time, Kim’s eyes was starting to become glossy and her mother squeezed her hand gently.

“Just remember to do what’s best not only for Luhan but for you too, arasso?”

“Ne.” Her mom hugged her and Kim settled between the comfort of her mother’s warmth.  For now, she’ll enjoy her moments with Luhan but when the time comes, she’ll do what’s best for him. After a couple of seconds, her mom patted her head and asked her to go and tell the others that dinner’s ready.

After a happy and contenting dinner, she shared the cake with her brother because her mother and father refused since it was supposed to be for her only. Kim giggled as she wiped the corner of Sungyeol’s lips that was completely covered with icing. He would blurt out that his Luhan hyung was the best in between bites of the mocha cake.

When everything was cleaned, she went to her room and took a quick bath. She settled herself in bed and stared at the ceiling thinking about her possible future without Luhan. She loves him so much that she’s willing to sacrifice her own happiness for him. If he becomes famous, she knows that there’s a possibility that they’ll have to be separated because it would be bad for Luhan’s image. Think what’s best for Luhan, Kim thought.  She’ll try to face whatever that will happen to them. She’ll try to accept anything that will happen to their relationship.

She was lost in her thoughts that she didn’t notice her eyes slowly closing. When she opened them, she was greeted by a soft beam of sunlight passing through her window. She rubbed the sleep off her eyes and reached out to her phone.

3 unread messages from Luhannie<3

“Are you still awake?”

“You forgot to text me goodnight, jagiya! I will love you forever!!!!! *bbuing bbuing hearts*“

“You know they said forever isn’t real? They’re wrong because they haven’t found it yet! You’re my forever, Kimmy.  I’m glad I found you. Goodnight again~ <3”

Kim’s heart  felt like it wanted to burst out of her chest and she thought that her smile won’t be able to come off of her face. Luhan was such a cheesy person but she admits that she finds it cute. She rolled around in bed to let out her feels  and accidentally fell off the bed with a loud thud.

“Kiiiim, is something wrong?” Her mother shouted from across the other room.

“I’m fiiiine,umma!” Kim shouted back and she couldn’t care less  even if her hurts.

She sat on the floor and took her phone that was lying on the bed and texted Luhan back

“I’m sorry, Jagiya! I fell asleep early last night. Oh and Goodmorning!! Have a great day! Saranghaee <3”

She felt her phone vibrate and checked it quickly but it wasn’t Luhan who replied.

“Hello, Kimmy! What time should we meet at the park?” She almost forgot about her meeting with Jungmin thanks to Luhan giving her a mini heart attack.

“2pm :) Let’s meet at the café near the ice cream shop, okay?” She looked at the time and her eyes widened when it was actually 12:00 already.  She quickly took a shower and chose a simple skinny jeans and a dress shirt. After fixing herself up, she went downstairs for a late lunch and smiled as she thought of her plans.

“I’m so excited for today!” She said to herself as she headed to the park.

Today, she promised that she’ll take the task of cupid and set up her two bestfriends .


OMG OMG OMG HELLO READEEERS! THANKS SO MUCH FOR SUBSCRIBING  TO WAY BACK WOOHOO 240 VIEWS AND 20 SUBSCRIBERS YAY! 
 

I'M SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED FOR A WHILE BUT HERE'S A LONG--ISH (NOT REALLY) CHAPTER FOR YOU ALL BECAUSE MUCHOS SARANG FOR ALL OF YOU HAHAHA :)

 I might update tomorrow too so yeah look out for it! Are you liking the story so far? hehe i hope you do and I hope you comment too give feedback so I'll know what you want :) anyway, it's 1 am here and my mom is going to kill me if I stay up any longer so yaaay okay I also want to thank syahirahakashah for giving me such a wonderful feedback. It motivated me so much to write this story haha :) that's all for today.