Should I tell you?

Way Back

Watching them perform live made her inner fangirl rejoice. Kim can't believe that she’s hearing Kyungsoo's voice in person and how it harmonizes perfectly with Baekhyun's vocals and Chen's high notes. After that, Kris and Chanyeol are rapping together and wow they looked beyond human. It's illegal to be that handsome, she thought. The stage went black, signaling the Exo members to perform another song. The beat of history starts booming from the speakers and Luhan comes out. All the members are handsome but to Kim, Luhan is beyond perfect. She watches him as he sings and dance and every move he makes results to the screams of the millions of fangirls. No, Kim's not screaming like the most of them. Kim got starstrucked by him. She was just watching him, thinking if he would notice her but that was impossible. She was lost in the sea of people. Of the many fans that Exo gained. The fans that Luhan gained.

 

The bell rang and it brought Kim back to her senses. The students were already leaving the classroom and she realized that she slept for about half the class. It's a good thing that she sat at the back of the class so she wasn't caught dozing off. Kim fixed her stuff and went out. It didn't surprise her that Luhan was already waiting outside her classroom. His back was against the wall both sports and school bag on the floor and his earpods stuck in his ears.

"It's already the end of the day but why does he still look clean and neat and... perfect?" kim thought.

He smiled at the girls who waved as they passed by him and then his eyes caught Kim's and immediately turned to two crescents. He walked up to Kim and lightly patted her shoulder before he took her bag.

"Thanks, Luhan" Kim smiled.

 She knew Luhan ever since elementary and their parents knew each other so they became close friends. Luhan is a few years older than Kim and he treats her as a little sister. When Kim was being bullied by her classmates during 4th grade, she met Luhan. She was crying her eyes out on the swing set and then this baby faced boy sat on the swing beside her.  

"Here, take it." The boy shyly handed her a handkerchief. Kim slowly took it without raising her head.

"My name is Luhan. I'm a 6th grader." He said cheerfully. Kim just kept wiping her tears. She would’ve been startled or something because someone older was talking to her but she somehow felt comfortable even if a pair of cute doe eyes were staring at her.

"Why are you crying?" Luhan asked

"Because I have no friends" Kim said in between sobs

"Oh. I can be your friend. You can be my dongsaeng!" Luhan rubbed Kim’s back lightly to cheer up.

"Really? but I won't call you oppa because you look like my age only" Kim said as her tears started to dry up.

"What? I think I look like a manly high school student!" Luhan said in an offended tone and his face in disbelief.

"Haha okay okay you look manly" Kim laughed and her snot became a bubble. She felt her face go red from embarrassment and started to cry again. Luhan thought Kim was cute and he laughed at her.

"You can blow your nose on my handkerchief. I dont mind" Luhan said as he laughed.

"I'll tell my mom to wash this after! dont worry" Kim started to laugh too as she wiped her nose

"Come on. lunch is almost over. I'll walk you to your classroom" Luhan stood up and offered his hand. They went straight to Kim’s classroom hand in hand and Luhan made sure she was safe in her chair before patting her head and announcing to the class that Kim is a very special person to him, so they better not bully her or else he’ll send sunbaes out on them. He then left and made all Kim’s classmate slack jawed.

Kim couldn't believe it and ever since that Luhan always accompanied her to class. Luhan looks at Kim as his dongsaeng but Kim...she loves him and he'll never know.

 

"Earth to Kiiim"Luhan waved his hand in front of Kim's face.

"Shut up, lulu" Kim said as she swatted his hand away.

" You're not listening to me. Anyway, we should go out today! I called your mom already and she said we should be back by 10pm but if you're this slow we'll never make it."

"You always have a lot to say huh?"

"whatever, snot."

"Snot? what are you? A 5 year old kid?"

He ruffled Kim's hair because he knew it would annoy her and then he suddenly took Kim's hand and walked faster.

Kim shouldn't be feeling like this. She felt as if all the nerves in her hand were being shot with waves of electricity. It's the same hand she held for years but right now it felt different. She wonders if Luhan feels the same way too.

 

"Yah, luhan! let go of my hand. It's sweaty" Kim tried to break free from Luhan's grip because oh myyy goosh, she thought. She can't handle all the butterflies forming inside her.

"So what? anyway we're here" Luhan said as they reached the park. They sat down on one of the wooden benches facing the pond. Luhan rested his elbow on the metal handles of the bench and faced Kim. The sunlight made the sweat forming on forehead glisten and his blonde hair looked a bit lighter. He poked kim and smiled.

"Sooo..why are we here?"

"I just want to. Let's just make this an awesome day, okay?"

He then took his sports bag. He must want to play soccer, kim thought. But to her surprise, Luhan brought out a big picnic blanket and spread it on the grass. He also had different containers of snacks and drinks. He arranged them and motioned for Kim to sit.

Kim sat opposite to Luhan who was already eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"You really planned all this?" Kim asked as she ate sliced apples from one of the containers.

"No...yeah...maybe" Luhan said smiling as he watched the kids nearby play frisbee. His cheekbones were evident whenever he smiled.

"Do you wanna tell me why?" She thought Luhan was acting a little bit too happy...or sweet today. No, Luhan can't be sweet because that would mean...something Kim knows won't happen.

Luhan didn't answer and just stared at her. His face was happy but Kim felt as if  there's something wrong in his smile. Nonetheless, she felt her face go red because seriously, a guy like him staring at her? Who wouldn't feel all flustered?

"Hey, earth to Luhan." Kim tried to avoid her thoughts by throwing a grape at him but he caught it. Amused by his skills, Luhan laughed and gosh he looked like a dork when he laughed with his mouth wide open and lines forming at the sides of his lips but he still looked cute.

"Come on, tell me!" Kim demanded

Luhan took a deep breath and sighed. He moved closer to Kim and laid his head on Kim's lap.

"Aiiish, don't be so impatient. I'll tell you later." Luhan said as he closed his eyes. Kim felt as if she'd burst any minute now. She didn't know what to do. Of course she didn't want to push him away but she couldn't stand being this close to him. "Lord, help meee. What do I do?" Kim thought. So she slapped his forehead.

"Do I look like a pillow to you?" Kim asked hiding her obviously flustered face.

"yep, you're getting fat, kimmy" Luhan reached out and pinched Kim's cheeks before she pushed him away.  “Seriously, this is getting weird. It almost feels like a date" Kim thought. As time went by, they just sat there and shared stories with each other. It was all simple and peaceful until Luhan asked Kim if there's a guy she likes. She didn't want to lie but she didn't want Luhan to know too so she just said yes and asked him the same question.

"Well... I don't think this is the right time..." He scratches his neck awkwardly and laughs nervously. Suddenly, raindrops started to fall so Kim and Luhan had to quickly pack their stuff. They ran off to a nearby bus stop and waited there but Kim wanted Luhan's answer.

"Luhan, so...who is it?" Kim asked as she brushed off the raindrops on her blazer and slumped on the wooden seat.

"You wouldn't believe me even if I said so. Also, it wouldn't matter." Luhan said with a hint of annoyance.

That made Kim quiet. She fiddled with her bag's keyring to avoid the awkwardness. Luhan kept quiet too and sat down beside her. Kim could see from the corner of her eyes how some of his hair is clinging to the side of his temples and how some parts of his shirt are wet and sticking to his body. "Luhan is always perfect and I'm just...average" Kim thought as she looked at her reflection on the metal handles. The minutes feel like hours because of the awkward silence between them until Luhan cleared his throat and said

"You haven't told me yours, anyway" Kim couldn't focus on Luhan and was debating whether or not she should tell him.

"If you tell me who yours is... then I'll tell mine. Deal?" Kim offered.

Luhan's lips formed into a straight line as if he's weighing the offer. He inhaled deeply and smirked.

"Fine, but let me explain first." He said as his smirked turned into a smile.

"Okay then."

"BUT...you'll have to tell me who yours is after I explain and THEN I'll tell you who mine is. You already said yes so it's a deal." Luhan smiled at Kim but it was more of a challenging kind of smile.

What if Kim admitted her feelings and Luhan didn't feel the same way? She was afraid that their friendship will change and Luhan might avoid her but maybe it's worth risking.

Kim smirked at Luhan to show her confidence. “Deal, so go explain.”

Luhan scooted closer to Kim and rested his elbows on his knees as if what he’s discussing is something super serious. Kim thinks this side of Luhan is really cute and handsome at the same time. He’d be lost in explanations just like when he’s watching and talking about soccer and the players and goals and stuff like that.

“Well, I don’t know where to start. So there’s this girl and I’m still not sure if I like her or I’m just used to her? It’s like I’m just used to seeing her everyday and seeing her smile every now and then.  She makes me happy but I don’t know how to approach her in a way that she’d notice me. Maybe, it’s because she’s with me often too and she looks at me differently. Like in a normal kind of way, but I don’t know.”

Luhan shrugs and contemplates for awhile and tell Kim that that’s it. He looks at Kim and tries to ruffle her bangs out of her eyes. He always told Kim that she should wear a clip so that he’ll see her eyes more and that Kim would be able to see a “whole new world.”

“Your turn, Kimmy” He said and Kim looked at him with eyes and started shifting. She always did that when she panics. He didn’t know why Kim wouldn’t tell him. They’ve been best friends ever since. Still, he thought that it’s easier said than done because technically, he’s having difficulties too.

“Can I just give an explanation too?” Kim said as she tried to make an excuse.
“No, we had a deal.”Luhan replied smugly. Kim really can’t tell him that he’s the person that Kim likes so she did what she always hated….


“1 + 1 is gwiyomii…” She sang in a small voice and held up both her fingers and tried to summon all the aegyo she has… if it existed, kim thought.

Luhan looked at Kim weirdly thinking what the hell was wrong with her but then after that his expression changed and laughed so hard that Kim got scared he might swallow her and the whole bus stop. He asked in between fits of laughter why she did that and Kim knew that this earned her about a week of teasing.

“Yah, I told you to let me explain but you didn’t and since I used my super cute magic on you, which fyi I hate the most, you need to agree.” Kim said as her face became almost as red as a tomato. Luhan was still laughing but moments like this was rare so he just waved off Kim telling her that it’s okay.

Kim was still nervous. She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. This is it...

“ So..uhm I like this guy. I don’t know when or how it started. I never really planned on liking him because being with him is a crazy idea. I don’t think he knows I like him because it’s obvious that he likes someone else. He’s really kind and sweet but sometimes I just want to punch him in the face because gahhh I hate having feels.”
“So do I know him? Is he from school or whatever?” Luhan asked her with questioning eyes.

Kim could feel her palms sweating and the looks Luhan was giving her wasn’t helping.
“Yes uhmm from my class.” Kim was a terrible liar but she could see Luhan looks a bit convinced.

“oh..okay”  It got awkward after that. Luhan looked bothered, he was trying to think of the guys in Kim’s class. He was a tad bit disappointed too. He didn’t want to admit it but he was slightly pissed off because he thought that Kim didn’t mingle much with other guys. He had this strange feeling that made him confused. He’s just protective, he told himself. Kim is like his little sister, so it’s natural that he’s feeling this way

..

….

or is it?