Friends?

Way Back

 

Kim missed Luhan real bad. She sighed as she ate alone on the corner table of the cafeteria. She wanted to tell him to skip one practice but she knew she was being stupid. She shouldn’t be an obstacle to Luhan’s dream. She took in a deep breath and stabbed her meat with her fork.

“Hey, don’t murder that meat.”  Kim looked up to see Jungmin sitting in front of her.

“Sorry, I didn’t notice you there.” Kim forced a smile.

“Can I eat lunch with you?” Jungmin asked Kim not even waiting for a reply as he ate his own food.

“You don’t need to ask. You’re already eating.” Kim said sarcastically as Jungmin laughed at her.

“Hey, I want more meat. Wanna trade with my egg rolls?” Jungmin brought his lunchbox closer to Kim and raised both his eyebrows at Kim smiling cheekily. Kim made a face pretending to weigh the trade but she gladly took the egg rolls and offered her lunch box to Jungmin.

 They traded happily and would occasionally laugh as Jungmin cracked jokes and told her random stories like how he got a puppy that almost killed him because of jellybeans. She haven’t laughed like that for a long time and she was glad Jungmin became her close friend since last month.

“So, how are you and Luhan hyung doing?” Jungmin suddenly asked

“Well, I don’t know it’s been a long time since we’ve been with each other. I mean we meet every day but it’s only like ten minutes and that’s it.” Kim said suddenly feeling sad again as Luhan was brought up into the conversation.

“Are you happy Kim?” Jungmin asked sincerely as he stared at Kim who dropped her head.

“Yeah, of course I am.” Kim muttered

“Come on, tell me the truth. Don’t worry, I’ll handle your girl drama.” Jungmin joked as he Kim smiled a bit.

“I miss Luhan. I know he’s trying his best to make time for the both of us and I can’t complain even if it’s only 10 minutes every day. I don’t want to be an obstacle to reaching his dream. He even told me once that I should just break up with him because he thinks he’s not good enough, but I can’t do that.” Kim said as she swirled her food around in her lunch box.

“You know, Luhan’s got a point. If by now you’re already sad, what more will you feel if he debuts? Do you think you can handle that?”  Jungmin said sadly and reached out for something in his pocket.

“We both promised that we’ll try. We’re just adjusting that’s all-“Kim’s words were cut off by Jungmin when he suddenly wiped the tears that were already pooling on her eyes, threatening to fall any minute now.

“I know this is a difficult time for the both of you and maybe for Luhan, he really wants to chase his dream but that doesn’t mean you should just let all your sadness simmer inside you. Kim, you have other people looking out for you too, just in case you haven’t noticed. It’s not a nice scene seeing you cry, so I hope you remember that you need to be happy too.” He gave a gentle squeeze on Kim’s hand and left his handkerchief between her fingers. Jungmin then gave one last look at Kim and ruffled her hair and stood up and left. She didn’t intend to cause drama or anything but somehow Jungmin made Kim feel like she really should just let Luhan be and start chasing her own dreams. She watched Jungmin as he left, still thinking about what he said. With a heavy heart, she stood up and tried to continue the day without Luhan.

 

He gave her a beaming smile as she went towards him. His eyes twinkling as he greeted her good morning. Kim beamed backed at him and greeted him as well. He then reached out his hand and Kim quickly ran away to keep her hair safe from being ruffled. She ran up to the building and didn’t realize there was a bump on the pathway making her stumble. She crossed out her arms in front of her to cushion her from the fall but it never happened. To her surprise, One long arm was already wrapped around her waist and another arm was holding her shoulder tightly. She could feel his grip lighten as she brushed him off. It was a good thing that he was there to catch her fall.

“I told you to stop running, walking disaster.” Kim scoffed at the nickname given to her and she tried to reach out and flick his head but she was too tall for him.

“Yah, I am not a walking disaster. Besides, I didn’t even fall so ha!” Kim said proudly and pointed out that she didn’t have a single scratch on her.

“That’s because I caught you, dummy” He replied as he grabbed Kim by the elbow and knuckled her head causing her hair to be disheveled.

“Heey! Stop! Okay okay thanks, Jungmin. Thanks for catching me” Kim raised her hands as a sign of defeat and Jungmin laughed as they walked to their classroom.

Jungmin really liked Kim. It was obvious that he’s trying to be close to her. He wasn’t that heartless to steal Kim away from Luhan sneakily, though and he knew that Kim doesn’t see him as someone romantically special. Some of his friends might say that he should stop because he’s practically being a temporary replacement for Luhan but he didn’t think their opinions were relevant. He simply thinks that what he is doing right now is being there for Kim and making her happy and that’s all that matters. He’ll patiently wait until Kim and Luhan’s relationship falls apart. He’ll be with her while she’s falling and at the same time, he’ll be there to catch her.

He was nervous as he began stuffing his notebooks and pens in his bag quickly. He looked back and saw Kim still seated and fixing her bag as well. As soon as he got his things, he went up to Kim and leaned on the desk opposite to her. He tried his best to look calm which he thought was a total fail because he kept brushing his hair away with his hands every three minutes and fidgets with his bag strap when he doesn’t. Kim looked up at him and hummed asking what he was doing there. He cleared his throat nervously and tried to speak without stuttering.

“Can I uhm..walk you t-to your house or something?” Jungmin said shyly as he looked down on his shoes.

“Is that it? Sure, is your house on the way too? I wouldn’t want to cause you any inconvenience.” Kim said as she stood up and put on her bag. She made her way outside the classroom and Jungmin followed her.

“No! I mean no, you’re not an inconvenience. My house is on the way too.” Jungmin said as Kim tightened her grip on her bag strap.

“let’s go then!” Kim piped and walked faster as Jungmin followed suit.


They walked side by side cheerfully, occasionally bumping into each other and sometimes on purpose just to annoy the latter. They talked about their teachers, grouping the annoyingly strict ones that will send death glares to anyone who dares to play with their click pens and the cool ones that somehow manages to make almost all the topics interesting. They also talked about what course they would take up in college. Jungmin answered that he’d take up anything related to multimedia arts or performing while Kim wanted to take up a course about mass communication or broadcasting. Of course, entailed with the topic about college, Jungmin slided in a question about Luhan.

“We haven’t seen each other for weeks and well, we  only text each other only for good mornings and good nights messages.” Kim said quietly as she scratched her neck.

“Oh but are you two still together?”

“Yes, we just don’t talk that much.” Jungmin saw the change in Kim’s expression as they walked. She didn’t speak anymore and it was a good thing because they already arrived at her house. She stood at the front door and smiled weakly at him.

“Thanks, Jungmin. I’ll go in now.” She bowed then turned around to go inside her house when Jungmin grabbed her hand.

“Kim, I know this is not the right time to say this but I like you. I like you a lot. I know you still have this thing with Luhan but whatever happens, I’ll be here.” He said shyly as he looked at Kim’s surprised but gloomy eyes.

Kim gave Jungmin a gentle squeeze on the hand and a small smile and went inside. She didn’t want to say anything to Jungmin because she was shocked. She loved Luhan and she won’t replace him so quickly. She admits that she’s starting to like Jungmin because he’s been there ever since Luhan somehow forgot her, but she only saw him as a friend and nothing more. She doesn’t want him to end up with her because if he did, then it would be awkward for the both of them because she didn’t want to think that she’s just using him. She wanted to be by Jungmin’s side for as long as possible as a friend only. Nothing more, nothing less.


I'm sorry I haven't updated much! this is such a short chapter i wanna cry  :( anyway, I decided to add more jungmin scenes and idk why i didnt use jungkook's name lol okay so I dont know if i should write a fluffy chapter next haha. I miss writing Luhan's sweetness so yeah haha okay please look forward to it :) 

 (peace yo)

 (so cuteeeeeeee)