~part twenty-two~

The Wallflower

Today was the night before graduation. Jaehee still hasn’t talked to me. I guess she just didn’t feel the same way. There still has been no interaction between us. Jessica and Jinyoung were already going out on occasional dates. They were so lucky. At least it worked out for them.

I had cleaned my locker out already, gotten my yearbooks signed by my close friends, said my goodbyes to the lowerclassmen. I should be celebrating now. I should be happy. But then,, why was I dreading what was about to happen tomorrow? Probably because after high school, my world would practically be devoid of Jaehee. I didn’t want that. Then again, it was probably bad for me to keep seeing her. How would I move on?

I lay in bed that night just praying that by some miracle, everything would start over. I could do everything right. But there was no changing the past.

I guess waiting for her just didn’t work out for me.

This was it. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was wearing my favourite red and black plaid polo and dark wash jeans underneath my graduation robe. In my hands was the toga that I would have to put on later. I was finally graduating.There was no more History, or English, or any other boring class. I just had to go to college, but that was okay, since I actually liked what I took.

“Mark.” Tammy spoke up from my door. I turned my head, and saw her leaning against the doorframe.

“I wanna fix your hair. It looks gross.”

“Will it take forever?” I joked.

“Just sit down. Can’t an elder sister help her baby bro out?” she said and pushed me down on my bed.

It was quiet for the first few minutes. I could tell she was keeping herself from saying something, but I paid it no mind. She would tell me sooner or later, knowing her. I was right.

“So, no news from Jaehee yet?”

“Nope.” I looked at her sadly.

“Is she going to the same college as you?”

I shook my head, “I don’t even know if she is going to college. I heard she was gonna debut soon.”

“So, you won’t be seeing her as often, huh?”

“Yup.”

“It’s alright, Mark. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe you should move on.”

“I know. Maybe I’ll find someone in college.”

“Maybe.” I replied.

“Done.” She stood up. “We’re leaving in a while, so make sure to head down in a bit.” She said, and was out the door.

The ceremony had just ended, and a few tears were shed. I mean, who wouldn’t cry if you were to be separated from the people you grew up with? Jinyoung was going to law school, Jaebum was heading to the US for a scholarship, Youngjae was going to some special arts school with Bambam and Yugyeom. The only person I would continue to see often was Jackson, since we were going to the same school.

I walked over to my family, and they immediately pulled me into a warm embrace.

“We’re proud of you, son.” Dad said.

That was the first time I ever heard him say that. Not when I won the award for MVP, not when I was chosen as the best dancer, not ever. I couldn’t even explain the satisfaction I felt when I heard those words leave his mouth.

After the mushy exchange of congratulations’, and a few tears here and there, I started looking around for the rest of the boys. It looks like they went home. I was walking over to Jessica, a hand held me back by the shoulder.

“Hey, Mark.”

I knew that voice so well. It was Jaehee.

“Congratulations.” She said.

I turned around, and said the same.

“Do you wanna get out of here first? It’s a bit noisy.” She suggested.

“Uh, sure, but only if your fami—“

“They… didn’t come today.”

“Oh, then let’s go, I guess.”

We were walking down the deserted hallways of the school. It was just quiet.

“I’m gonna miss this place.” She extended her arms behind her, stretching.

“Yeah, me too.”

“Mark.” She suddenly changed her tone. “I have my answer for your confession.”

I stopped walking, “You do?”

“I think you should sit down for this.”

I did as she said, and sat on one of the stray benches put out in the hall. She took a seat next to me.

“Honestly, I kind of like you, too.”

I sat up straight and looked at her.

“If you were just a normal person who confessed, even if I liked you, I would have said no. But knowing you, if you found out the real reason, you would hold it against me forever. So I’m just gonna go all out and be honest.’ She paused for a sec before continuing, “Mark Tuan, I like you. But then, I’m gonna debut soon. If you aren’t willing to be patient and wait, then I don’t think we should go out. However, I’m willing to give us a shot. The question is, are you?”

That brought a smile to my face. She was willing to try it out. To break the rules for me. I moved closer to her face, and kiss her on the cheek.

“You know I am.”

Sometimes, life is just worth the wait.

FIN.

A/N: Whoooo!!!! It's done. Feel free to check my full A/N for this in the next chapter!

Saranghae, babies!

XOXO,
stephanielee