~part eight~

The Wallflower

My alarm rang in my ears, signalling that morning had come. I sat up on my bed, rubbed my eyes, and looked at the clock on my night table. I already knew what time it was, 8:00. I just did it out of habit. Jessica was coming over in two hours so that I could tour her around the city, since she was new here.

I stood up and headed downstairs for some breakfast. Only Tammy and Mom were usually up at this time. My sister would either be going on her early morning jog around the village or doing Pilates or yoga in the living room. Today, it was the latter. Mom, was reading the newspaper in the study room/office. She looked up from it when I passed by the  open door.

“Good morning, Mark. Did you have a good night’s sleep?” she asked.

“Yup. I’m heading out with Jessica today, okay? She asked me to show her around town.” I neared her and kissed her cheek.

“I was wondering why you woke up fairly early on a Sunday. Now I know why. Do you want me to cook you anything for breakfast?”

“Nahh, cereal’s fine. I’m not that hungry.”

“Okay. Suit yourself.” She said, and directed her attention back to the newspaper.

I passed the living room, and Tammy greeted me good morning, still in the middle of her work out.

“Hey, sis.” I said, continuing my short walk down the hallway, to the kitchen.

I opened the cabinet to see quite a selection of cereal: Frosted Flakes, Oreo O’s, Honey Stars, Rice Krispies, Corned Flakes, and Lucky Charms. There was some Fitness Cereal and Muesli, but both of them had labels that said “TAMMY’S ONLY!” in angry red letters on them, so I skipped over those.

Grabbing the Oreo O’s, my personal favourite, I poured them into a small bowl, picking out more marshmallows from the box with my spoon. I poured milk into the bowl, and into a small glass, as well. Walking over to the island counter on the other side of the kitchen, I set my food down and started eating, not bothering to take a seat. I would be done soon, anyway.

Around 5 minutes passed, and as I predicted, my breakfast was finished. I brought the empty dishes to the sink and left the kitchen to head up to my room. Once I got there, I immediately headed to the closet, picking out clothes that would make me look like I cared about what I wore, but didn’t try too hard. After 10 minutes of looking for the perfect outfit, I was finally satisfied, so I headed to the bathroom to shower.

After my bath, I dried my hair and gelled it up, and got dressed. I went back into my shared room, slightly surprised to see my roommate’s bed empty and made. I guess that means Joey’s downstairs. I grabbed my phone, earphones, and wallet, sticking them into the pocket of my pants. Checking the time on the clock, I smiled when I noticed I was a bit early. 9:45. I still had 15 minutes to kill. I looked at my reflection in our full body mirror, which also served as the door of closet. I had to admit, I looked pretty good.

I went back downstairs and sat on the couch in the living room. Tammy was done working out, so the room was empty. I took my phone out and started texting Jackson.

Hey man, I sent.

I was waiting for his reply. Soon enough, 5 minutes passed. Why wasn’t he replying?! I know that I might sound like one of those love struck teenage girls who were obsessed with their crushes, but it was true. Jackson always replied immediately after he received a text, regardless of who it was. He should be up by now. He always wakes up early to go to the gym. I knew this because besides Jinyoung, Jackson was the one I was closest to. That, and he took pride in the fact that he worked out on a daily basis, taking every chance he had to flaunt his muscles and 6 pack abs.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t even notice the doorbell ring, or hear my mom opening it and greeting the guest, or even her leading the guest to the living room. I snapped out of it when I heard a familiar voice question,

“Why are you so deep in your thoughts? What are you thinking about?”

“I looked to my right, and saw Jessica looking at me curiously.

“Nothing. Should we head out now?” I stood up, embarrassed.

“Sure.” She giggled and headed back to the doors of the house. I followed her, and we started our walk towards the nearest train station.

We were at Dongdaemun now, and Jessica was currently looking in one of the stores that sold stationery and notebooks that she decribed as “cute”. It was also lunchtime, and I was hungry, but she didn’t seem to be, so I just kept my mouth shut.

We came from Hongdae before this, she bought a lot of accessories from the sides of the street. Before that though, we were in Itaewon. Jessica was amused when she saw a building with the name “Richard Copycat” plastered to the front in big letters. We stopped by a cookie store afterwards, but I didn’t want any.

“Hey, are you hungry? We could go eat at a restaurant.” She offered.

I nodded, inwardly thanking the heavens that she got hungry, as well.

We stopped by a chicken café. Their menus weren’t in English, so I had to translate everything for Jessica, and there was writing all over the walls, but the ambience of the eatery itself was warm, so it still felt good eating there. Jessica and I shared an order of chicken wings, and I scarfed down an Egg Pajeon. Their food was pretty darn good.

We decided to head to Myeongdong next. We went to Shinsegae, a luxury mall, and Jessica was able to buy a few things. She went wild in the shopping mall next to it, though. Migliore. It was a mall that sold knock-offs, and unbranded items. Jessica was never really picky when it came to brands, so she didn’t mind shopping there at all.

After she practically shopped ‘til she dropped, we decided to just walk down the streets and have dinner sometime during the stroll. We eventually reached a street food stall which had tables and chairs. She wanted to eat there, so that was what we did. We ordered a ddeokbokki to share.

“Today was fun, Mark. We should really do this again.” Jessica smiled, genuinely.

“Yeah,” I beamed back at her, “we should.”

Customers were bustling in and out of the shaded stall, so I didn’t really pay heed to the people who entered. That was a huge mistake.

“Mark?” a familiar voice called out. Oh no. I was praying to God that it wasn’t who I thought it was. I slowly turned around.

I guess lady luck wasn’t on my side today, because a few feet away from me stood Lee Jaehee.

A/N: Hey again, guys! I hope this chapter is decent, at least. I really don't know how the story is going, so it would be really helpful if you guys commented what you think of it. Also, I accidentally revealed part my supposed plotline to my friend (who is also my subscriber) by accident, since I was really tired that day, so huhu, I don't even know what she thinks since we haven't talked in a few days. I'll be updating tomorrow, as usual. Thank you! Byeee!!!~~~

XOXO,
stephanielee