~part sixteen~

The Wallflower

 

The car ride home was even more awkward than the first time the 2 girls rode with us. It wasn’t awkward, actually, now that I think about it. It was tense. I soon realized, that only I could feel the tension in the air. Jaehee was blabbering about how Jinyoung asked to see her and if he could take her out and how he was all gentleman-like. I personally didn’t like her talking about this, probably because Jessica was out of her usual self. Gone was the bubbly, rowdy, noisy Jess I knew, for right now, she was completely silent.

Jaehee didn’t seem to notice that Jessica wasn’t herself until we were halfway home.

“Hey, Jess, are you okay? You seem a kinda down.”

“Oh, I’m fine. I guess I’m just feeling a bit under the weather. I’ll be fine soon.” She gave Jaehee a strained smile.

“You should take a nap. We still have a good 20 minutes before we get to your house.” Jaehee suggested.

She took her suggestion and leaned her head onto the back of the leather seat. Seeing this, I gently pulled her head to the right so that she could lean on my shoulder instead.

“It’s more comfy like this.” I said.

“Thank you,” I heard her mumble.

“No biggie.” I whispered back.

She took her phone out of her blazer pocket, unlocked it, an started typing something. She tilted it towards me, so that Jaehee, who was looking out the window and had her earphones plugged in, wouldn’t see what she was doing but I would. She nudged me with her elbow, signalling that I should look. I did. She opened her notes.

You know, don’t you? It read.

 I nodded.

You won’t tell her, will you?

I shook my head.

I guess you think I’m pretty stupid, right?

I shook my head again, and she eraded everything before typing again.

I’m telling you that you should be falling for the right person, but I myself have fallen for someone who seems to have found his other half. We’re involved in a pretty messed up love square. We must be unlucky lovers.

I nodded.

What I said a while ago, Mark, it was true. I’m telling you now that you really are in love with Jaehee, even though you don’t realize it. Trust me, I’m not the kind of person who’s a home wrecker, so don’t you go thinking that I’m doing this because I want to ruin Jaehee and Jinyoung’s relationship.

That was the last straw. Taking my phone out as well, I replied back to her.

I’m telling you now that I like you, and not Jaehee.

She shook her head and typed again.

There is a difference between having a crush, and liking someone seriously. How do you feel when you’re with Jaehee? Do you feel like she’s your sister?

No. I replied. I’m not sure, I just feel like she understands me, but I don’t think that it’s to the extent where I’ve fallen for her.

That’s where it is weird. Pick one: Jinyoung or Jaehee.

Uhhh… I don’t know. Jaehee, I guess.

Why?  She looked straight into my eyes.

Maybe because she knows me better than he does.

What about this: me or Jaehee?

YOU!

No. You’re only saying that now. Answer this: what is Jaehee’s favourite thing to drink?

Miilk. I tyoed in quickly, not even thinking about it.

Now, what is mine? This isn’t an unfair question, because I liked this from even before we met.

I wracked my brain for any ideas. Why didn’t I know this? I should. I’ve known Jess for so long.

Orange Juice?

No, Mark. It’s iced tea? Don’t you see it yet? You know so much about her, who you say you barely like, while you don’t know much about me, who you say you like, but in reality, you don’t.

That doesn’t prove anything.

It doesn’t, does it. Wait a sec.

She turned to Jaehee and called her attention before nearing her and whispering. I couldn’t hear what they were talking about. A few minutes later, she turned back to me and started typing again.

We’re arriving at my house soon. Just think of what I said, okay?

Okay. I said before tucking my phone back into my pocet.

We pulled up in front of Jessica’s place, and before she got down, she looked at me and said,

“Trivia! What is the only thing that Jaehee is allergic to?”

“Pineapples.” I said, matter-of-factly

She gave me one last smile before getting off the vehicle and heading to the place she called home.

That was weird. My phone beeped minutes later.

You do know that Jaehee never told you that, right? She never told anyone else either. So you could only observe that. That’s the difference, Mark. When you crush on someone, you ask about them and actually try to find out and remember things. But when you love someone, you notice the things they do and pick up facts that you don’t even need to ask about naturally. You don’t try to remember, but you end up knowing. You know a lot of things about them that they don’t tell you without trying.

I didn’t reply. When I snapped out of my train of thoughts, I noticed that we had reached home already. I automatically got off and headed for my room. I groaned into my pillow when my body hit my fluffy bed. This was all too much for me to take in.

Sitting up after collecting all of my thoughts, I decided to try and see if what Jessica was telling me was true. I stood up and walked to the closet. Opening it, I took one of the shoeboxes on the top shelf. It was labelled “MARK’S,” and it was collecting dust.

I sat on the floor and opened it. It was a bunch of photos, tied down into two piles by rubber bands. The first pile was of photos taken when I was in America. The second was of my first few years in Korea. Taking the second one into my hands, I untied the band constricting it, and took a look at the photo on top.

It was of me and Jaehee at the school playground. I was pushing her while she was riding on the swings. I felt a smile creep up my face after looking at it. I started to go through all the photos in that second pile, reminiscing the feelings and moments that each and every one of those pictures held.

A/N: Okay, I am totally unsatisfied with this chapter, even though it reached my word quota and everything, it's just so filler-y to me :(

I hope I can write a better one tomorrow.

I think that I'll be wrapping this up soon.

In other news, it's my dog's eighth birthday today, and I actually got her as my birthday present when I was really young. She's actually my baby and a few months back, we found out she had cancer. I cried so hard, but we eventually had the tumors surgicall removed and she's fine now.

Thank You! For being such awesome readers and for sticking with me. I love you, guys!

XOXO,
stephanielee