Ten

Between Sleeping and Waking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

¦ Ten

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

The sun's early light fell like rays of pure gold through the open curtains, drenched the room in warmth and coziness. It was a beautiful morning, the sky void of any clouds and the heat that would fill the day already lingering in the air. But beauty was a point of view.

Eunhyuk thought that a morning, a day or a thing in general couldn’t be beautiful. They could be good, nice or amazing, but nothing more. People could be beautiful, though. They could be gorgeous, handsome, pretty. And their mind and heart could also be, maybe even more than their looks. People that had both, the heart and looks, were hard to find. Eunhyuk hadn't met many of them in his life; people that flashed him with their whole appearance. He had only seen one person with those features, one that had left him speechless the first time they had met and one that was still able to take his breath away, no matter how many years had passed. He had never seen another person like that – maybe because he had never felt the urge to search for one.

Threading his finger through smooth brown hair, Eunhyuk asked himself if he had been able to make Donghae happy. Had he been enough for him, had he showed him every day what he felt for him and what he meant to him? And had Donghae felt the same about him, had he been the one that had made Donghae's heart skip beat over beat? Had he been good enough for the younger's perfection that he would never be able to reach? Had he?

Eunhyuk breathed a kiss against Donghae's forehead, the other's hand resting on his bare hip. Had it really been him who had elicited all those smiles from the other, the one who had made his eyes flash? Had he shown him every day how much he had loved him? And if he had – why had they argued then? Why had he made him mad when he treasured him so much that there were no words to express it? Eunhyuk couldn’t find the answers to all those questions, but he cursed himself to the very core for being that stupid to destroy Donghae's life and his own.

The redhead lifted up his phone he had been holding in his hand for some time now and unlocked it, eyes flickering over to Donghae every couple of seconds. He couldn’t tell where the sudden urge to take pictures of the younger was coming from, but he felt the need to do it. Donghae looked so peaceful when he slept like this and Eunhyuk wanted to freeze the moment, even though he knew that those pictures wouldn’t be saved for the times when he'd need them the most.

The phone sank down to the sheets after he was finished. Donghae was still sleeping calmly beside him, hadn't moved an inch since the elder had woken up a few hours ago. Buzzing filled the air as somebody called him, but Eunhyuk ignored it; he even ignored the faint buzzing of Donghae's phone that still stuck in the pocket of his jeans, lying on the floor. The redhead had only eyes for Donghae – and he felt his stomach drop as he noticed that the younger still didn’t move. He didn’t stir, didn’t frown or grumble like he usually did when it was time to get up. There was nothing and seeing him so unmoving reminded Eunhyuk of that time in the hospital when he-

"Donghae…?"

It was just a whisper and the younger most likely wouldn’t have heard it when he would've been awake. Eunhyuk reached his hand out, carefully and hesitant, to place it on the other's shoulder. He shook him, ever so slightly, but he still didn’t move.

"Donghae."

He shook him more, still gently but with more determination. Even his voice was louder now, just a bit but it was clearly audible. Still nothing. Eunhyuk felt like his heart stopped beating.

"Donghae!" he called the younger's name again, frantic now and roughly shook him all of a sudden. Donghae's body jerked heavily and only a second later his eyes were open wide; the younger was clearly confused and stunned.

"W-What?" he croaked out, gaze flying through the room as he quickly sat up all the way. His wide eyes found Eunhyuk's; they perfectly expressed how shocked he was. "What's happening?!"

Eunhyuk swallowed audibly and ran a hand through his hair as he sat up as well. "N-Nothing. I… I thought you were…"

Donghae sent him a confused look before his eyes found the alarm clock behind the other and widened even more. "Holy , look how late it is!" he exclaimed and already tried to free himself from the blanket. "Why didn’t you wake me up sooner?!"

The redhead tried to calm down his racing heart and eventually looked at the alarm clock also. Half past seven. "I… I-"

"Did you forget to set the alarm?"

"No, I… I turned it off."

Donghae froze in his tracks before he abruptly turned around to face him. "You did what?! You know that we have this meeting at 8 o'clock at the S.M. building! They will kill us if we aren’t on time!"

"I'm sorry, I forgot to-"

"I wanted to get up early because I still have to learn lines for tomorrow, now I won't have time for that!"

Eunhyuk felt like he had to throw up as he saw how angered the other was. "Donghae, I'm sorry. I…"

Yeah, what should he tell him? That he had turned off the alarm several hours ago because he didn’t want to be disturbed while cherishing the time he could spend with simply watching the younger sleeping? That he had done it without thinking about the consequences and that he still thought that it was unnecessary to leave the bed now? Should he tell him that there was no need to go to those schedules because they weren’t real?

Donghae shook his head with a harsh movement of his hand. He swung his legs out of the bed and wanted to stand up, just to hiss loudly at the sudden movement. Eunhyuk stared at the younger's back and had to collect his thoughts for a moment before he understood what was going on.

"I'm sorry", he breathed out, already scooting over to the other, hands reached out to help him up, but Donghae pushed them away.

"Just get ready", he hissed and carefully lifted himself up from the bed. Eunhyuk watched him and his slightly limping walk for just a moment before he got up as well and hastily followed him. He was afraid to let him out of his eyes even for a second.

It was needless to say that they didn’t arrive in time and got scolded by their managers and Leeteuk who on top of it all decided that they would spend the following night at the dorms so it wouldn’t happen again. They had to cover the huge hickey on Donghae's neck with a ton of make-up for the TV show they filmed around noon and even though the make-up noonas made it completely invisible, Donghae's mood didn’t get better. The other members' mocking words that normally would have made him laugh only made him grumpier and in the end he completely stopped talking with them. He only sat there, had his arms crossed and muttered a word now and then when he was forced to. But Donghae was still a professional when it came to work; only fans that would pay much attention to him would notice that something was wrong when the show would air in some weeks. Backstage things were differently, though. Donghae was beyond pissed and even though Eunhyuk apologized multiple times, it didn’t get better.

"Just tell me why you turned off the alarm", the brunet had said in one of those rare moments when he had turned his head to look at the other.

Eunhyuk had kept the answer to himself; he didn’t tell him about it and that annoyed Donghae even more. The redhead didn’t want them to fight, to scream at each other, but it seemed like they were so close to it already that it made him feel sick.

***

"The murderer was left-handed."

"…Why do you think so?"

"Just take a closer look at the wound. The victim was facing the murderer, we know that by now. It's impossible for him to hit her li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter