Chapter 4

I'll Protect You

It was Saturday and as planned, Luhan and Baekhyun baked together. They bought ingredients first and went to Luhan’s place. Baekhyun was amazed that Luhan’s materials for baking was a complete set.

“Where’s your parents?” Baekhyun asked.

“They’re in a business trip.” Luhan said while preparing what they need.

“You must be rich.” Baekhyun said in awe while looking around.

“Not really. They just like our house to be really nice and welcoming.” He smiled. They started baking and talked about a lot of stuff which eventually made them close.

“Oh! I forgot something!” Luhan said. “What’s that?” Baekhyun asked.

“Uhm… OH! RIGHT! It’s Chanyeol’s birthday on Monday.”

“Really? Should we bake him a cake?” Baekhyun suggested.

“That’s a good idea. Why don’t you drop by here again tomorrow, if you don’t have anything to do?”

“Why don’t we just make it now? I mean, not that I’m busy but we have enough ingredients.”

“Yeah but I wanted to count Sehun, Kai and Kyungsoo in. Let’s plan a surprise for him.” Luhan said excited.

“Okay then.” Baekhyun said cheerfully.

They gathered up the next day leaving Chanyeol’s calls and text unanswered. He really doesn’t remember his birthday himself. He wasn’t just used to celebrating it.

The next day, Chanyeol was about to jog. He waited for Baekhyun if he might want to come along. Baekhyun went out dressed for office.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol smield and ran to him. “Why are you so early? It’s only 7am.”

“Oh, I have to go somewhere.” Baekhyun smiled and hurriedly walked.

“Hey.” Chanyeol grabbed his arm. “Please, let’s not be awkward about everything that happened last night.”

 Baekhyun slowly raised his head and smiled. “No, we’re not going to be. I’m just really going somewhere. I assure you, nothing will change. I mean, we’re new friends right?” his eye smile went again. Chanyeol nodded and waved goodbye. Baekhyun waved too.

Chanyeol went to work and found the store closed. Everyone has the key and so, he opened the store and the lights because the curtain was all down.

“SURPRISE!” Everyone shouted with Mr. Kim. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHANYEOL!”

He was so happy that they even remembered his birthday well than himself. But he couldn’t be happier the moment Baekhyun walked up to him holding up a cake with a drawing of him.

“He baked it himself.” Luhan smiled. Everyone teased them. “Look at the hearts around.” Kai said while laughing but received a glare from Mr. Kim.

Baekhyun smiled. That moment, it was as if no one was there. Only Baekhyun and Chanyeol. No one else.”

“Happy Birthday, Park Chanyeol.” He said in a low voice. Chanyeol couldn’t help but smile and blush. The beautiful scene was cut off by Mr. Kim clearing his throat. “Don’t leave me alone without a partner.” He said which caused everyone to laugh.

After an hour, the store opened and they all worked normally. They went to a nearby club to celebrate Chanyeol’s birthday after work. Drinking here and except for Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They finished celebrating with Kai and Sehun on Luhan and Kyungsoo’s arms, drunk. Mr. Kim managed to call a cab for them and himself. Baekhyun and Chanyeol preferred to walk home.

It was very quiet and the crickets that were normally there weren’t leaving any sound anymore. Baekhyun cleared his throat, “Why didn’t you drink?” he asked. “It’s your birthday and you should’ve celebrated like them.”

“Nah. I don’t really want to damage my health. And look at them. They even reek.” They laughed. “How about you?”

“Same reason.” Baekhyun said. “It’s really funny how when it comes to reasoning, we always have the same answer.”

“Yeah. Maybe we’re me---“ Chanyeol manage to stop before saying what was completely on his mind. “What?” Baekhyun asked. Chanyeol shook his head shyly.

“Thank you for the cake.”

“It was nothing. I want to give you something.” Baekhyun smiled.

“I was really surprise. I mean, I never celebrated my birthday before.” Chanyeol confessed.

“REALLY?” he was surprised. “I-im sorry. But I hope we made you happy today.”

“Yeah, you guys did.” Chanyeol smiled. “You did.”

They smiled at each other. No one running, just staring at each other and hearts beating fast.

“Happy Birthday, Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun said.