Chapter 7

I'll Protect You

When everyone was having fun before the closing, Baekhyun received a call. He excused himself which is very rare. He sometimes get calls but he talks exactly where he is.

“Is he cheating on you?” Kai teased.

“YA! Baekhyun isn’t like that.” Chanyeol said.

“Yeah and what do you care?” Kyungsoo glared. “I don’t…” Chanyeol glared.

“I mean of course I do. We’re friends and who would want their friends to be cheated on.”

“I’m not cheating.” Baekhyun returned. “It was a very important call and I wouldn’t want him to hear you guys.”

“Is it a job interview?” Sehun asked. “Woah~! Dude, you’re gonna be left out again!” he teased.

“No, it’s not. Just something you guys won’t understand. It’s just too personal, okay?”

Everyone just nodded. They all went home.

“Is it really too personal for you to talk about?” Chanyeol asked.

“Yes, it is. I’m sorry but, I can’t say it. Maybe someday if this is all fixed.”

“Oh, it’s related to when you went to the city.”

Baekhyun nodded. “By the way, I’ll leave again tomorrow. You understand right?”

“Of course I do.” Chanyeol smiled and kissed him good night.

“Okay then.” Baekhyun smiled and went home.

-

Baekhyun has been missing work a lot these days. He sometimes make up excuses like he’s sick or he needs to visit someone. But when Chanyeol offers to take care of him or accompany him, he’ll just say Chanyeol might catch a cold or it’s too far. Chanyeol never won because Baekhyun always has a say in everything.

Still, he feels worried. Baekhyun’s keeping a secret. But he thought, it’s about something too personal he can’t ask about.

-

 

Baekhyun met up with one of the greatest Chinese lawyer, Mr. Zhang Yixing. They were talking about Baekhyun’s father’s death.

Mr. Zhang Yixing showed several pictures to Baekhyun. “Mr. Byun, these are the confirmed suspects. Although Mr. Park Junghwan is already imprisoned, he said it wasn’t him who shot your father, it was his nephew. We found pictures of Mr. Park Chanyeol, his nephew.”

“Park Ch-chanyeol?”

Yixing nodded and showed him pictures of Chanyeol. It was indeed, the Chanyeol he knows. HIS CHANYEOL.

“A-are you sure about this? You might be wrong. There might be a lot of Park Chanyeol in Korea and he’s just one of them.” Baekhyun with his voice shaking.

Yixing showed him a picture of Mr. Park Junghwan and Chanyeol.

“Your father was said to be the one at fault. He stole every penny in their shared account. But killing him isn’t the obvious way to deal with it. So that’s what we’ll fight for. WE are the victim. Money can be brought back, but not life.”

Baekhyun didn’t respond. He just stared at the picture with a scared look.

“By chance, do you know Mr. Park Chanyeol?” Mr. Zhang Yixing asked.

“Yes… y-yes I do…” he broke down.

“If it’s not too much to ask, please bring Chanyeol over to us. Or if you can’t, you can tell us where he is.”

“What if I can’t?”

“Then we’ll lose the case, and you won’t be able to bring justice to your father’s death.”

Baekhyun doesn’t know what to do. He doesn’t know what exactly he should feel about Chanyeol.

Chanyeol killed his father, which is why they met. Chanyeol made him feel the happiest he ever felt his whole life. He’s not alone because he has Chanyeol but if it wasn’t for Chanyeol, he still has a father.

 

I wanna die…”