Chapter 8

I'll Protect You

He has no choice but to go home. He can’t escape from the reality. Chanyeol welcomed him with a longing stare and hugged him very tight. He hugged back, but he couldn’t hold the tears in.

“W-why? Ehem.. did you miss me that much?” Chanyeol teased and kiss him.

Baekhyun nodded, gasping, sobbing, and crying so much in pain. How can this be? Why did this have to happen? He was full of painful thought.

He went on like he would normally would. He goes to work, but is less cheerful. Whenever Chanyeol sees Baekhyun, he would leave notes.

“What will you do if I’m not happy?”

Baekhyun will then answer, “Cheer you up.”

“How can I cheer YOU up?” Chanyeol wrote again.

Baekhyun didn’t answer. He cuts off his normal office hours into half and goes home. Chanyeol can’t take it anymore. He has to do something. He went to Baekhyun’s house.

“Hey there!” he said holding a jar.

“What’s this?” Baekhyun asked.

“Notes.” He smiled. “Answer them. I want them to be exactly 100. Just like mine.” He smiled cheerfully.

Baekhyun broke down. He can’t hold it in everytime he sees Chanyeol. He was so messed up. Chanyeol hugged and comforted him.

“What’s wrong? Tell me! What’s wrong? Please, I can’t bear to see you like this!” Chanyeol said crying while he hugged Baekhyun.

He broke from his hug and grabbed a sticky note. “What will you do if someone you live killed someone you love?”

Chanyeol was confused. “Baekhyun, what’s with this question?!”

“Just answer it.”

“Like what if I killed someone in your family?”

“Exactly.”

“Wh-what?! BAEKHYUN, THIS ISN’ T FUNNY.”

“Why can’t you just answer it?!”

“I-I don’t know. Please tell me what’s happening!” Chanyeol yelled. Baekhyun took another sticky note. “What if, I was with a killer in the same room but I can’t kill him?”

Chanyeol still doesn’t get everything. “I will kill him for you. Just like what I told you before, I’ll protect you.” He said bravely.

“Can you kill yourself for me?” Baekhyun asked, crying.

Chanyeol looked at him in a surprised look, “What do you mean!? Don’t do this please.”

When Baekhyun was about to write, Chanyeol stole it and threw it away. “ENOUGH WITH THE NOTES! Talk to me!” he grabbed Baekhyun.

“W-what if…. What if you were the reason why my father died?”

“What? Baekhyun!”

“ANSWER IT.”

“I..” he spotted an envelope he is familiar with. It’s from a prosecutor. He grabbed it and ripped it open. He found several pictures from the Crime Scene and the picture of him and his uncle. He couldn’t believe what he saw. He wanted to kill himself.

“Baekhyun.. i…”

“Now you understand. Can you…. Kill yourself?” Baekhyun tries to hold back his tear.

“D-do you want me to?”

Baekhyun shook his head and pushed Chanyeol out of his house. “B-baekhyun… i….”

He was so angry with himself. He punched the wall, he broke glasses, and he tossed everything he can. His hands were bleeding and some of his fingers were broken. “This isn’t enough… Baekhyun suffered because of me…. H-he suffered because of me…” he yelled and cried.

Baekhyun could hear it. He was so broken hearted. He was so scared, because he feels like he’ll lose Chanyeol. He doesn’t want to lose him but he can’t let him go too and lived peacefully knowing that the suspect he’s been searching for, for the past 7 months is there.

I don’t know what to do…