Let's Meet Under the Mistletoe - Hoya/Myungsoo

Vignettes

Prompt: “We’ve been best friends forever and I might sorta like you and OH MY GOSH DID YOU JUST KISS ME?”

Merry Christmas~ I actually finished this about a week ago, but I had to work a lot of long hours and I was also really sad about Jonghyun, so I didn't feel like updating this. But now that the week is over and I'm not so bogged down here's some Christmas-themed hosoo. It's supposed to be a continuation of chapter 35. There's not as much surprise as the prompt suggests; they're both kind of anticipating the kiss. It would've been longer, but then I probably wouldn't have finished it by now. Hopefully I'll get around to continuing this. Or just writing more hosoo in general.

 

 

 

The wind is bitingly cold as it hits Myungsoo's face. He hunches his shoulders and stuffs his hands further into his coat pockets as if that'll make him warmer. He would prefer to wait for Howon in the warmth of the restaurant, but the other had insisted Myungsoo stand outside. It's now been more than five minutes since Howon claimed he was a minute away. Myungsoo's just about to retreat inside when he hears his name being called. He looks up in time to see Howon jogging up to him. There's a small bag in his hand and Myungsoo's heart speeds up in his chest even though he doesn't know what's in it. (Or who it's for.)

"I'm so sorry," Howon says when he stops in front of Myungsoo. He's panting softly, expelling small white puffs with every breath. His cheeks and nose are pink from the cold. "I swear I really was a minute away. The traffic lights had it out for me." Holding up the holiday-themed bag he's holding, he offers Myungsoo a shy smile. "I think this'll make up for it, though."

Myungsoo mentally scolds himself for getting excited. "We agreed not to do presents this year." They and their friends had all decided not buy gifts. Instead they've gathered for dinner and drinks before they have to go their separate ways to visit their families.

"I know," Howon concedes. He takes a step closer to Myungsoo. "But I think we can both agree this is something you need, so, technically, it's not really a gift." Without further ado, he holds out the bag until Myungsoo has no choice but to accept it. He smiles brighter at the accomplishment and gestures for the other to open the not-present.

Nestled among a few sheets of white tissue paper is a bundle of red yarn that Myungsoo realizes is actually a scarf as he pulls it halfway out of the bag. It's soft and long and beautifully made. "You... You didn't make this, did you?" It's touching enough that Howon felt the need to get him anything at all. He doesn't know what he would do if his friend took the time to make him something.

Howon shakes his head. "No, I couldn't. I don't know anything about knitting. I just—I saw this in a store and I thought of you. You know, because you lost your scarf." His cheeks seem to be getting redder the more he talks. "Here, try it on," he says, taking scarf from Myungsoo. He loops it twice around the younger man's neck so that it's up to his chin.

Myungsoo feels instantly warmer, but he doubts it's just from his new accessory. Howon is still close; his smile is soft. Myungsoo doesn't think he's ever been more in love.

"How is it?"

It takes a moment for Myungsoo to process the question. His mouth opens as if he's going to answer, but nothing comes out. There's a fluttering in his stomach and he can feel his heart pounding in his chest, the rush of blood in his ears almost drowning out the cars and people around them. His body seems to know what's coming before his brain does.

Howon's hands come up to hold both sides of Myungsoo's head, just under his ears so his thumbs press softly against the other's cheeks. Myungsoo shuts his eyes in anticipation when Howon starts leaning in. The first touch of their lips is gentle, but still sweet. (Myungsoo has imagined kissing his friend more times than he'll ever admit, but the real thing is so much better.) Howon doesn't try to push it any further, only letting their mouths press together for a few seconds. The shy smile is back on his face when he pulls back. It's ironic after such a bold move.

It also comes as a surprise to Myungsoo that he manages to find any words. "It's perfect," he breathes out. "I love it." He could be talking about the scarf, but they both know that's not true.