I Like Where You Sleep (Here) - Hoya/Sungyeol

Vignettes

Prompt: Imagine your OTP sleeping together for the first time. Not having , but sleeping next to each other. At some point during the night, person a wakes up and sees person b curled up next to them, with their arm thrown over person a's shoulders, making person a smile before they go back to sleep.

 

I'm finding it a lot easier to write really short things right now, so here's another one. Awkward hoyeol is one my favorite things next to donggyu and 2woogyu. I should really write more hoyeol. But before that, I should really try to update one of those unfinished fics I have sitting around.

 

 

 

If anyone could see them now Howon thinks they would probably think he and Sungyeol were two complete strangers. They're both on their backs on Howon's bed, the covers pulled up to their shoulders with what feels like an ocean of space between them. The soft music coming from Howon's alarm clock radio does little to dispel the awkwardness smothering the room.

After two months of dating, Howon thinks they should be more comfortable together. Even though this is the first time they're sharing the same bed he wants it to be as easy as when they're just hanging out. It's essentially the same thing—except they'll both be unconscious.

As many times as Howon had imagined being in this scenario (which is an embarrassing amount), he'd never thought he would feel so much pressure from just having Sungyeol in the same bed as him. In a way, it's his own fault. He'd been a bit stubborn about Sungyeol spending the night. With the late hour and the couple of drinks they'd shared it had seemed natural to Howon to be concerned about his boyfriend's safety. The easiest way to solve his worries, he thought, was to have Sungyeol spend the night at his place. The younger man had politely tried to decline the offer, even going so far as to list reasons why he shouldn't stay, but none of them had convinced Howon. In the end, Sungyeol had relented. He claimed Howon's bumbling (and failed) attempts to not say anything suggestive or inappropriate as he tried to make his argument had won him over.

Heaving a sigh, Howon decides to do something about the mood in the room. He turns onto his side to face Sungyeol. Now that his eyes have adjusted to the darkness, he can make out the other looking up at the ceiling, his hands folded neatly over his stomach. "Can I—" Howon stumbles over his words. He knows what he wants to say, but it feels weird to say it out loud. "Would it be okay if I held you?" In most of his fantasies of this moment (every single one, actually) he had imagined Sungyeol being in his arms as they drifted off. It had seemed like a natural position for them to be in when they sleep together.

Sungyeol snorts, most likely from Howon’s awkward phrasing. "I don’t think that’s something you have to ask for. I'm actually not that much of a cuddler, though," he admits.

"Oh." Although disappointed, Howon is grateful that the dark can hide it well. "That's okay," he says to assure the other (and convince himself). "We don't have to. Whatever's comfortable for you is fine."

"I didn’t say I didn’t want to." Howon can hear the smile in Sungyeol's voice. The bed shifts as Sungyeol turns to face him, leaving only a few inches of space between them. He reaches blindly for Howon’s hand and guides it on his hip. His hand stays resting on top of Howon's. "Like this is fine."

It's not quite how Howon had imagined their first night together, but he can't complain. Sungyeol is next to him and soft under his fingers. It's enough to give him a warm, fuzzy feeling in his gut. He doesn't think (or, rather, give himself time to over think) as he shortens the distance between them to press his lips to Sungyeol's briefly. "Goodnight." The word comes out in a breathless exhale when he pulls back. Even in the dark he can see everything in Sungyeol's eyes. There's surprise and adoration and want and, if Howon's not being too presumptuous, maybe even love. His hand tightens on his boyfriend's hip.

"Goodnight," Sungyeol replies, his hand leaving Howon's to caress his face. They're even closer than they had been before. Howon finally relaxes while his eyes fall shut from Sungyeol's touch. It doesn't take very long for him to fall asleep.

When Howon's eyes blink open again, it's somewhere between very late at night and very early in the morning. There’s quiet talking coming from the radio although he’s not awake enough to understand it. He's on his back, his head turned away from Sungyeol and there’s a weight on his chest. He reaches up to move whatever's lying on top of him, but stops when he feels warm, smooth skin. He turns his head to look down at his chest and sees a long arm stretched across his shoulders. When he turns his head a bit more he finds Sungyeol’s sleeping face inches away from his on the pillow. Howon is caught by surprise at first as he realizes Sungyeol’s holding onto him, his long fingers curled around Howon’s shoulder possessively. His surprise quickly turns to content and a pleased smile spreads across his face. It seems like Sungyeol’s just not an active cuddler. Reaching up to lightly touch Sungyeol’s hand, he closes his eyes to go back to sleep. None of his fantasies are anywhere near as perfect as the real thing.