Awakening

Code Blue

Pain.

It hurts. Everything hurts.

My chest is closing. I can’t breathe.

“It hurts… my chest,” I said with the last breath I had.

“Hyung,” someone said, but I couldn’t recognize who. More words were directed at me, but my head was hurting so much that I didn’t understand them.

“Try to breathe slowly,” someone said to my ear. I tried to comply but my throat was tight.

My body became numb. I was in pain and I couldn't do anything. I stopped shivering altogether. Slowly, my other senses started to shut.

Someone was talking again. I strained my hearing, the only thing I could do, and despite the migraine, I was able to decipher two words before my world turned black.

Be strong.

 

 

I opened my eyes. I was in a prairie. There were children playing in the flowers. The sun was going down, giving the sky a beautiful orange color. They were laughing, smiling and screaming happily, and without me realizing, I was laughing as well. The atmosphere was warm and cozy.

Suddenly, the wind started blowing. The sun went down completely and the children disappeared leaving an empty hole in the landscape. The environment turned cold and I started trembling. Out of the blue, two strong arms held me from behind, binding me immobile. The arms were golden and shiny. Every place they touched became heavy. My arms. my shoulders, my chest, my heart. My knees were about to give up because of the sudden weight. I heard the person, a woman, chuckling in my ear. I tried to turn my head to look at her, but then, the wind got stronger. The woman let go of me and I felt myself flying in the black space.

 I realized I was now in a dirty, empty room. There was someone else inside. It was a young boy, thin and pale. His skin was scarred and bloody. He was next to the only window in the room and the light obscured his face. Then, I noticed some weight in my hand, so I brought it up and saw that I was holding a whip. Immediately, the boy crouched down and started screaming, sending shivers through my spine. The walls crumbled with the shrieking and the roof fell in between us. The last thing I saw were the boy’s dark, deep eyes, staring at me before the floor gave up throwing me to the nothingness.

 

 

I opened my eyes, but I had to close them immediately to protect them from the stabbing light. I tried again, slowly this time, to get used to it. I noticed something obstructing my sight; it was transparent. Was it a mask?  The room where I was in was completely white, except for the flowers in the vase next to the bed. The curtains where drawn, allowing the sun rays to illuminate the room.

While I tried to take in my surroundings, the door opened and a woman came in. She was holding a clipboard. She saw me awake and smiled.

“It looks like you are finally awake, Sunggyu-ssi,” she said while coming closer.

“Where am I?” I asked, my voice muffled by the mask.

“You are in the Samsung Medical Center. You were brought here yesterday night,” she responded.

“Why?” I asked confused. Why was I here?

“You were suffering from a heart attack. Luckily, your bandmates called on time and we were able to save you.”

“Heart attack? Why-“ Suddenly, the memories from the day before came to my mind muting me.

The nurse observed me before asking “how are you feeling?”

I did a mental check up of my body. Nothing was hurting, but I was really tired. “I’m fine,” I said.

She nodded and proceeded check my vitals and else. I observed her quietly while she worked.

 Once she was done, she scribed something in her clipboard before turning to look at me. “Do you need something?” she asked.

I started shaking my head but then stopped.  There was something I wanted to know. “Is no one else here?” I asked quietly.

The nurse looked at me, I guess, surprised by my question but answered “Your bandmates left three hours ago. They said they had to work but that they’ll come back tonight.”

They were here.

The nurse kept looking at me and it made me feel a little embarrassed. “Thank you,” I said.

She stared at me a couple of seconds more before asking, “are you sure you don’t need anything?”

“Can I take this mask off my face?” I asked willing to change the mood and also because I was getting annoyed by the obstruction.

She frowned a little bit before responding, “I am afraid you’ll have to keep it for a little bit longer since we still need to deliver you oxygen. But I can speak to the doctor in charge and ask him if we can change the mask for a cannula.”

“Yes, please!” I said excited.

“Okay, then, I’ll be back,” she said chuckling.

She left the room and returned a couple a minutes later with another person. He was called Kang Youngmin, and apparently, he was my personal doctor. He explained to me what had happened and, between both him and the nurse, changed the mask for the cannula.

Another nurse came in with my lunch. It was a dish with a piece of chicken, rice, sweet peas, bread and a serving of fruits.

After I have eaten and they have taken my plate, no one else bothered me giving free reign to my twirling mind. There was just too much to think about. First, what the heck was going to happen to me? The doctor had said that as long as I took care of myself, I would be fine. But, was it that simple? Then, what was going to happen with the broadcast? How were the fans reacting? How were the guys coping? The guys. Where were they? What was going to happen with the promotions? It had been only a couple of weeks since they started. Were they canceled?

While I drowned in my doubts a cloud positioned itself before the sun obscuring the room. That sudden change snapped me from my thought and reminded me of something. In the back of my mind I remembered the dream. What was that supposed to mean? The children laughing, the golden arms and the boy. I was sure I had seen that boy somewhere, but I couldn’t quite place him. I struggled with the figure for a little while before tiring myself.

Bored and drained from my thoughts I decided to go to sleep.

 


A/N: I'm so sorry I couldn't update sooner. Next time, I won't promise a rapid update but I will do my best to make every chapter worth the waiting :)

Again, thanks to all my subscribers, commenters and upvoters!! This is for you^^