Prolegomenon

Code Blue

Howon rested his head in his hands for a second. He felt drained to the point where he could pass out right there if not for the anxiousness. With his eyes closed he could hear everything happening in the room. Quiet sniffs, someone pacing around, someone repositioning himself and someone sighing.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly and lifted his head to observe the others. s were devastated and it was obvious, the worst ends been Sungjong, Sungyeol and Woohyun, who were either sniffing or crying quietly. Sunggyu’s rejection was too much for them. Myungsoo was spacing out again. Sometimes Howon felt pity for the young boy, being trapped in your own thoughts all the time couldn’t be good, and especially in this kind of situations were nothing appeared to be right.

Dongwoo paced so near Howon that he bumped him in the knee. “Sorry,” he muttered before continuing. The second oldest hadn’t stop walking around since they were put to wait in the room. 

Howon stared at the moving figure for a moment until another sigh called his attention. He turned his head to where his managers were seated; all of them looked beyond exhaustion. Howon felt sorry for them. They had done so much for the boys during years and now they were trapped in this mess with them, particularly Jungryoul.

Howon hung his head again and tried to stop the unpleasant thoughts from filling his mind, more specifically, unpleasant memories.

 

 

The boys exited the room and were met with an angry-looking Jungryoul.

“What the heck was that?” he demanded making the group of idols flinch. He looked at each of their faces and realizing that some of them were crying, he softened a bit.

He sighed. “What happened?” he asked again, a little softer.

The boys shook their heads. They didn’t know either.

“Did you hear anything?” Dongwoo ventured.

“I didn’t,” his manager answered. “I arrived a couple of minutes ago. Even though I heard some yelling, Doctor Kang came and told me to remain outside.”

“Oh,” was all that Dongwoo said.

“Can you tell me what you know about what happened inside?” he asked again rephrasing his questions.

“We were telling Sunggyu-hyung about our day when he asked us about the company’s response to the broadcast,” Woohyun responded slowly. It was proving to be a challenge for him not to break down crying. “We told him that nothing had happened but he got angry at us.”

“More like been angry at himself,” Howon corrected.

“All that because you didn’t respond to him?” Jungryoul wondered. It just didn’t make any sense in his head.

Myungsoo shook his head. “He was acting strange since we arrived,” he said earning everyone’s surprised stares.

“What are you talking about?” Sungjong asked tilting his head.

“His movements and expressions seemed very controlled before he started screaming,” Myungsoo responded seriously.

Just then the door opened again and Doctor Kang exited the room. He turned to look at the group gathered at the door, obviously expecting them to be there.

“What happened to Sunggyu, Doctor Kang?”

“How is Sunggyu-hyung?”

“What was that beeping?”

“Which beeping?”

The group showered the old man with so many questions that even he felt overwhelmed.

“Sunggyu-ssi has calmed down now,” he said above all the noise willing them to settle down. Seeing that the others became quiet he proceeded. “We had to administer him a light sedative because he was too agitated, but now he is just sleeping.”

The group sighed in relief.

Jungryoul received a text message at that moment so he took his phone to look at it while the boys explained to the doctor the events of the past hour. The message made him curse under his breath; he had been so surprised by the yelling that he forgot about the other problem.

“We need to leave,” he said interrupting Howon.

Everyone looked at him with disbelief.

“We can’t leave. What about Sunggyu-hyung?”Sungyeol protested.

The manager ignored his question and instead addressed the doctor. “I’m sorry for the abruptness but we have to leave now,” he said.

The others voiced their protest as well, but upon seen their manager’s face they quieted down.

Doctor Kang frowned. ‘What was so important that they had to leave in a moment like this?’ he thought to himself. Nevertheless he just said, “You might be interested in Sunggyu-ssi’s current situation.”

“I will send someone soon to receive the diagnosis, Doctor, but this is urgent. Thank you for taking care of the kid,” Jungryoul said before bowing, leaving no room for arguments.

 

 

The door to the room opened causing Howon to snap from his thoughts. Two reps came into the room. They looked almost comical for the boy, one been extremely thin and the other one really short.

“How is everything going?” Hyoan asked concerned.

“Not good,” thin rep said shaking his head. “The article has been updated again with tonight’s photos,” he said while shorty rep handed Youngjun a tablet with the dreaded article.

 

 INFINITE’s Limit? it read.

 

Hyoan scoffed while scanning the new information added from behind the younger manager’s back.

“They are been so unfair,” Youngjun said indignant.

The members had already read the dreaded article before and by the update, they could imagine what the new content was.

 

 

Jungryoul rushed through the hospital corridors with the group of boys following closely behind. He had refused to answer any questions, making the others curious to no end.

They finally reached a backdoor, the one nearest to their van. Jungryoul stopped and turned around to look the state the idols where in. The faces of some had tear traces and the others looked extremely troubled.

Jungryoul bit his lower lip and moved towards the maknae, who he believed was the worst looking from the bunch and wiped the younger’s tears silently, almost in a fatherly way. Once he was done, he moved towards Sungyeol and did the same thing. While he did that the others waited with surprising patience. They had come to learn that rushing their manager could only bring terrible consequences.

“What’s waiting outside?” Howon asked carefully once Jungryoul was done fixing the others’ faces.

The older shook his head. “I don’t know myself,” he answered truthfully. “But whatever it is, don’t panic and remain close,” he concluded earning nods from those present.

Jungryoul assented as well. He then turned around and pushed the door open.

The group was immediately met with yells and more camera flashes.

 

 

“How is the public reacting?” Dongwoo asked moving closer to the newly arrived.

“It’s still too early to determine that. The article came late at night and most of the targeted audience should be sleeping at the moment,” shorty rep answered. “However, some are starting to voice their disappointment,” he concluded.

“WHAT?” Hyoan questioned indignantly.

“Hyoan,” Jungryoul called in a warning tone.

“Most of them would be antis,” thin rep commented. “But the real thing will start in a couple of hours,” he added dead serious.

“Why did they post the article now if no one was going to read it?” Woohyun wondered.

“This matter has become a race for the media. The first ones to get the news win,” thin rep said in a matter-of-fact tone.

Howon sighed and stood up. He was tired of hearing bad news one after another. He silently left the room with nobody questioning his leave. Once outside he felt lost. The boy had no idea where to go. Outside was a no-no for him because of the reporters and he couldn’t go to the rooftop either because it was way too cold for him to handle with the flimsy cloth he was wearing. So he decided to go to the only place he could: the bathroom.

 

 

Howon stared at his reflection in the mirror. Just a couple of days ago he was a lively boy full of energy. Now, he looked like a zombie with those dark circles standing out under his listless eyes. The comeback activities, lack of sleep and emotional tensions were taking its toll on his body.

This can’t be real.

The boy closed his eyes and started inhaling and exhaling slowly, attempting to forget everything but failing miserably. The whole situation was annoying him.

What’s wrong with everybody? he thought bitterly. Why can’t they leave other people’s business alone?

Because you are an idol another voice said.

Howon opened his eyes in surprise and got a great shock when he saw someone looking back at him, only to realize it was his own reflection. He turned around and scanned the bathroom, but it was empty.

The boy brought a hand to his chest, feeling his racing heart, and heaved a sigh.

“I must be going crazy,” he muttered.

He took out his phone to look at the time. 3:37 a.m.

With that, Howon opened the faucet and splashed some water to his face, slapping it a bit in the process, and prepared himself mentally for the long day ahead. 

 


A/N: Hello!!! After a month of waiting I'm finally back!! YAY!!!

I hope this chapter was worth the wait >-<

Now, I want to thank my super special 75 subscribers!!! What would I do without you?

Also, this chapter was possible thanks to my amazing friend WhereTheAngelsFly. You are the best^^

Well, that's it for now. See you soon!!