Apology

Code Blue

If you received a notification, I did a triple update, so please, go back to chapter 15: Pictures.


 

Hyoan sipped his drink as he watched the boys that were lying on the spotless floor, covered in sweat and dust, smiles gracing their faces. It had been a long, arduous job, but they finally finished cleaning the whole dorm. It had been Woohyun's idea in the first place, and after not so much resistance, the rest had agreed to it. Hyoan had gone to print the pictures that would then be scattered around the rooms before returning and helping Jungryoul lift the bags and boxes that were sometimes too heavy for the boys to carry. Youngjun was attending the last procedures to get Sunggyu out of the hospital but had promised to bring take-out as a reward for their hard work.

He turned towards the coffee table and observed how Jungryoul wrote at the back of every picture methodically; dates and events still fresh inside his head. Hyoan wondered how his sunbae was able to remember every detail so clearly after years of working with the group.

It was early, around 2 or 3 in the morning, and Sunggyu wouldn't arrive until noon, which gave them a window big enough to finish the preparations for his arrival. This was the first time in a while that going to sleep late wasn't an obligation, the boys carelessly rolling around the floor like little kids.

Had it been the last dorm Hyoan would have scolded them and told them to rise from the floor lest they wanted to catch a cold. This one, though, had underfloor heating and they had no schedules later that day, so he let them be.

Sungyeol, who was the nearest to Jungryoul, caressed Sungjong's back as the maknae sorted the pictures that had already been labeled. Some were just screenshots of programs, others were pictures taken by fansites, Myungsoo's camera and the company's too. All beautiful nonetheless. His youngest hyung had been designated to gather the memories because of his eye for photography. He had taken a little bit more than liked, although they had expected it due to the perfectionist nature of the younger. Still, the photos had come out impeccably.

Sungjong felt a lump in his throat as he observed each one, marveling at its beauty and remembering each passing occasion. That was another reason why Myungsoo had been selected for the task; he wasn't heartless but was more composed than the rest, assuring the job wouldn't end in a tear fest. Dongwoo refused to look at them, same as Sungyeol, since they wanted to remain collected for when Sunggyu finally arrived. Sungjong doubted the dancer to be capable of holding his tears if he saw their leader crying but reserved his thoughts for himself.

Dongwoo had thought receiving the older with a party was too cliché and instead opted to create a more heart-warming experience. Sort of like a bonding moment for all. The first idea thrown was rolling papers but was quickly replace with the pictures, courtesy of Howon.

The sound of the dorm opening and Woohyun rushing towards the door snapped him of his thoughts. He noticed that Jungryoul was speaking to Howon in a corner, perhaps after finishing his assignment so he hurriedly collected the mementos, careful of not bending a corner or ruining a picture.

After he was done, Woohyun and Youngjun put the food in the freshly cleared table and started handing out the plates of food. It was a tradition for the group to gather around the coffee table during special events, especially if their managers were present since the table in the kitchen wouldn't fit them all.

The members thanked the older ones for the food and started eating in silence, both from tiredness and pensive mood.

Woohyun urged the younger ones to finish their food faster and sent them to take a bath. The singer wanted the maknaes fed and in bed as soon as possible. Myungsoo was spared of taking a bath as he hadn't participated in cleaning the dorm, but still, complied with the older’s wishes. He was tired anyway. Dongwoo picked the thrash and threw it in a bag they had reserved for the rubbish and saved the leftovers inside the fridge. Howon helped their managers settle in Sungjong's and Woohyun's rooms. They could have left to their own place but decided to stay for the night, or morning, after the boys' persuasion.

And so, sleep-filled the dorm, every inhabitant dreaming in ways of bringing their group closer.

 

 

At first, it had been quiet, faint, but soon became loud and evident. The boys were all huddled inside Sunggyu's room. It had been a while since they heard the door of the dorm closing and could hear steps on the other rooms, so they figured Sunggyu was looking for the pictures.

The sound of a sob at the other side of the door surprised them, and almost immediately they heard muffled cries. The boys had planned for the pictures to touch the leader's heart but didn't expect for him to react in such a way. Dongwoo couldn't contain himself anymore and opened the door to see Sunggyu crying on Youngjun's arms. He moved forward and hugged him from behind, tearing up in the process. The rest of the boys surrounded the trio, hugging and caressing any available part of the leader's body as the other managers watched the encounter with affection. Jungryoul and Youngjun shared a look and smiled.

"Hyung," Myungsoo called towards Jungryoul, "we should move to the room." Always as observant, he realized that Sunggyu was getting tired regardless of his contented expression.

The manager agreed and ushered the others towards the room, Dongwoo and Youngjun holding Sunggyu carefully. The leader whined at the loss of warmth but complied as he himself was feeling faint.

The two sat the leader down and that's when Sunggyu saw the room. The walls filled with pictures, much more than the stack on his hand. The tears that were stopping came again full force, so he leaned towards Woohyun, who had sat next to him, and let them fall free. Vaguely he recognized the wetness on his shoulder but ignored them in favor of holding the younger tighter. Dongwoo again threw himself behind the leader and hugged him just as before, the rest of the member doing the same. Youngjun moved out of the way to allow the boys to cuddle and moved next to the other managers to observe.

Sometimes, he thought, actions speak louder than both words and pictures ever will. Hyoan placed his arm around his shoulders in a side hug and smiled at him.

After a while, Sunggyu separated himself from Woohyun and turned around to look at the younger ones, all of them with either tear in their eyes or shining gazes. They observed him quietly as he regarded every single member, looking at his maknaes at last. He knew he had an unfinished business with Sungjong but didn't deny he had hurt both Myungsoo and Sungyeol while in the hospital.

"I'm sorry," he said after a moment of silence.

Sungjong shook his head and tried to apologize instead but Sunggyu asked kindly him to let him finish.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, looking at each of them directly. "In my quest for self-assurance, I failed to notice I was been harmful towards you all. I was self-centered most of the time and strive for my own satisfaction without taking your feelings into consideration." He continued, "I do recognize I tried to bring the best for the group and that I did my best for the team to become more popular, be better. But at the same time, I thought of the group as mine, which made me think I had to do everything myself for it to work. I didn't understand that INFINITE was about teamwork instead of a solo journey."

He turned towards the youngest again and extended his hand, much like he had done in the hospital, yet this time it was with genuine intentions. Sungjong grabbed his hand without hesitation and Dongwoo moved to the side to allow the maknae to get closer.

"Especially to you," he said looking at the other's eyes "I was hurtful towards you and placed ridiculous expectations in your shoulders, even knowing that they would be harmful to you, both physically and mentally." Sunggyu wiped stray tears from the maknae's eyes as he felt his own falling from his eyes. Honestly, he thought he had no right to cry in front of Sungjong for all the damage he had caused, but remorse was stronger than his will.

Sungjong closed his eyes for a moment, trembling and shaking his head, sobs trying to leave his body. Sunggyu considered hugging the younger but didn't in fear of upsetting the other. He had hurt him deeply and feared the younger would choose to get away from him.

Which is why Sungjong launching himself towards him caught him completely off-guard. As he was unprepared, he saved himself from falling off the bed if it wasn't for Woohyun's presence next to him, who in exchange moved him towards the center of the bed with his maknae on top of him.

"What I always wanted," Sunggyu heard Sungjong whisper, "was for you to love me as you loved the rest." Sunggyu patted his head as he continued. "I'm sorry too, hyung. I knew you were in pain, and even then, I would make things harder for you, complaining and disobeying as a form of protest your favoritism. I also acted on purpose for you to look at me." Sungjong confessed, raising his head and looking at the other's face. "I'm sorry." He added, "and, I forgive you too."

Sunggyu held my tighter to himself, feeling the others thin body and massaging his spine with the tip of his fingers. Sunggyu was known to awkward skinship, something that contrasted greatly with the rest of his group but acknowledged this type of physical affection was most needed and greatly appreciated by the youngest. "I forgive you too," he replied, giving the other the most beautiful smile the younger had ever seen. Sungjong smiled back.

Sunggyu turned towards the spot where Myungsoo and Sungyeol were standing and expressed his regret of the way he had acted, for fighting and misunderstanding the latter; both who apologized as well. "No hard feelings," Myungsoo confirmed content.

"CUDDLES!" Dongwoo yelled suddenly, throwing himself towards the pair at the bed, bringing Sungyeol with him, mindful of not crushing them, being followed by the rest of the group. It made the leader and the youngest laugh at their silliness. The bed filled to the limit with the bodies of seven young men and the leader realized he didn't mind having the rest next to his body, with the youngest on top of him and being surrounded by dongsaengs. It was a pleasant experience, plus made him realize how deprived of love and affection he had been for a very long time.

He wouldn't change it for anything.

 

 

"So," Woohyun said, after a while, "now that this is out of the way, we should give you the welcome you were supposed to receive upon arrival." He had seen the managers leave the room during the pair's encounter, so he guessed they were preparing the table. Woohyun rose from the bed and moved towards the dresser. They had prepared a little gift, but he figured it would be better to give it to him, later.

"Right," Howon agreed, helping the boys off the now flushing leader. "We have to seal this moment with a feast!"

Dongwoo pulled Sunggyu up in the same way he had brought Sungyeol down and helped him move to the kitchen. Sunggyu was thankful for the other's thoughtfulness as he still felt a little bit weak after crying.

His small eyes went wide as he witnessed the food placed at the table. Side dishes dispersed around plates and plates of meat, rice, soups, and noodles. Never had he seen this amount of food in that table and he didn't even know how had all fit in it.

Dongwoo placed him on the sofa, Sungyeol and Sungjong sitting beside him, and handed him a small glass of grape juice. Sunggyu stared at the beverage questioningly and Dongwoo shrugged.

"You don't expect us to give you alcohol after being released just hours before from the hospital, do you?" Myungsoo answered nonchalantly from the back, earning a snicker from the youngest.

"Excuse you," Sunggyu stammered, blushing, "how would I have known what you were thinking." He countered.

"Okay, okay," Jungryoul interrupted what was surely becoming a bickering war. "Let's make a toast," he continued rising his cup.

"Let's be grateful that now the group is finally together after so long," he said while looking at everyone in the room fondly.

The youngest members huddled around their leader.

"Even if there are lows on the way..."

The small touches happened between Howon, Woohyun and their youngest manager.

"And sometimes it feels like nothing is working out…"

The oldest dancer leaned towards Hyoan by his side.

"Let's remember we are never alone, and that there are others willing to have our back."

The silent whisper of warmth and belonging that permeated the room.

"Cheer for a greater future, together as a family," he concluded contentedly.

"Cheers!"