Bonding

Only The Strongest Survive

A/N- Sorry for not updating in a while. Writers block. I decided to give a sweet chapter again. Enjoy lovelies :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 9- Bonding
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My body moves to the child's side. His cheek is cut open, to where you can see his teeth. His back had a huge slice along the middle. Scattered in the bathtub was knives and guns, with a needle and sewing thread. Apparently he had tried to fix himself up. Tears ran down his face; creating clean streaks down his dirty face.


    "Who are you?" Suho asks the boy. My hands reach for the needle and thread. 


"Chanyeol, go get the medical kit." I hear him trip then run for it. "Suho hand me a wet rag." The faucet runs and a wet rug is in to my hand. I reach for the boys arms. When I grab them he struggles but quickly gives up and let's me wash them. 


    "Here's the kit." Chanyeol says panting. I look and grab the kit from his sweaty hands. I dig and find the surgical thread and sterile needle. Threading it, I look the boy in the eyes. His eyes were as dark as the midnight sky.


    "I'm going to fix you, okay?" He nodded and clamped his eyes shut. I went for the cheek wound first. He was warm and I felt the soft flesh of the flap of cheek that was hanging down against my hand. I gagged but kept it down. I worked the needle the best I could and as fast as I could against the deep cut. Tears went in to the wound. Reaching for a big band aid, I quickly put it against his cheek. 


    Gulping I look at his back. It wasn't as deep as I had originally thought, but was still serious. I look at the medical kit for something to treat it. Stitches wouldn't work.


    "Maybe if I clean it. Then wrap it..?" I mutter to myself. A hand clutches my shoulder. Looking up at Baek he says, "Let Suho deal with him." I glare at him.


    "No, I've got this you guys clear out and take care of Kris." Baek stares me down and I look away continuing my search. I feel his eyes on my neck but pull out the supplies I need. Everyone clears out but Baek. He watches me as I clean the wound. The boy whimpered as I swabbed it with alcohol. When I was done with that I wrapped bandages around him. 


    "I'm going to pick you up now." I get a grip under him and, in a princess style, carry him to the spot that I had occupied in the living room. Placing him gently down, so not to hurt his back. Baek had followed me to the spot. I could feel his hands hovering behind me if I had lost my grip on the boy. I crouch down to look the boy in his dark blue eyes seemed to look in to my soul.


    "Do you feel like talking?" I ask with a patient tone. He shrugs then grimaces in pain and looks away.


"Can I ask your name?" He mutters something. I lean in closer. 


    "Can you say it again please?" I ask.


"Rhys..." His voice is sweet and high pitched. I lean back and smile at him.


    "What a nice name. Do you feel like sleeping?" He nods.


"My room, it's upstairs." He whispers to me. I look to Sehun. 


    "Can you move him there?" Sehun walks over to Rhys. He reaches down to pick Rhys up, when Rhys cries out.


    "Wait! Can I please stay down here with you?" Smiling I nod. 


    Getting up I go and get a bucket with water and a towel. Walking towards Rhys, I soak the towel in the water, plop it on his head then scrub gently. The blood-dirt mix slowly washes off to reveal golden blond hair. I dry him and head away to dump the dirty water. Suho follows me.


    "What do you think he was doing in that bathtub?" I shrug and dump the water down the drain. 


    "He'll tell us when he's ready." Ringing out the towel I face him and lean against the counter, crossing my arms.


    "Are we going to take him in?" I stare him down with an ice cold glare.


    "Of course! He's only a boy!" Suho sighs.


"So Ra, what if he's been bitten?" My eyes widen. I hadn't thought of that.


    "Then we kill him... But he's not, he only has the back and cheek wounds!" I say defensively. He reaches out and touches my cheek. Butterflies squirm through my stomach.


    "Okay, but we aren't taking in anyone else in, if there is someone else here." I nod. He retracts his hand and gives me a sullen look. Right before he turns around I grab his hand, as I do so my heart skips a beat.


    "Thank you for all the help." He smiles but the sad look never leaves his eyes. Letting go I watch as he walks out. 
    What the hell? Why did I grab his hands? I think to myself. I could've just said his name, but I had to touch him. He had been warm. It was a comforting warmth that made my heart jump a little. I blush. Slapping my cheeks I get up and walk through a door to the living room.


    "Hey, look who's awake!" I say running to Kris's side. He smiles.


    "Yeah, not feeling to good though." Looking at Chanyeol was all I needed to do to send him to get the bag. I walk to Kris's side and sit down next to his head.


    "Where exactly are we?" He asks trying to sit up. Kyungsoo pushes him down.


"We found a house, ran here with you. Well in So Ra's case hobbled." I glare at Kai. Everyone laughs. A new laughter that sticks out from the rest makes me turn towards Rhys.


    "Sorry honey, did we wake you up?" Rhys shakes his head. 


"And who is this?" Kris asks. One look at Rhys said he was intimidated by Kris. I spoke for him.


    "His name is Rhys. We think he lives here." The whole time saying this I looked at Rhys. He didn't object so I assumed I was right about him living here.


    "Where's your parents, Rhys?" Kris asks. Rhys grimaces and opens his mouth.


    "My parents died protecting me..." He pauses and moves his eyes to met mine. "They said for me not to leave the house until all the food was gone." I my head.


    "All?" Rhys nods, his eyes brighten a little.


"Yeah there's a whole bunch of canned food down stairs. Mom said it should last me a year, if I ate it carefully." I crawl over to his side. 


    "How'd you get the cuts?" Rhys bright mood darkens.


    "I went outside cause I saw my sister walking down the driveway. I had a knife and a small gun. I ran out to see her. Those things got there before me. I thought I could save her so I tried to get the things off of her. She died before I could. A thing got hold of my knife and cut me. I barley made it out." He was crying at the memories. I move on to chair, lift him up, and put him on my lap. I sooth him as he sobs in to my shoulder. 


    After an hour he is hiccuping and almost asleep. Kris had fallen asleep again. Everybody else had taken to exploring the house. Suho on the other hand was sitting under Kris's legs, looking at me. 


    "Is he better?" Suho asks. I nod and continue rocking Rhys in my arms.


"I think so." He looks at me with the same warmth from earlier.


    "You'll be a good mother one day." I frown.


"I doubt I'll make it that far." Suho scoffs. My eyebrows knit together.


    "You really doubt yourself, huh?" I think about it for a second.


"Yeah, I guess I do." He shakes his head. I chuckle.


    "What?" I ask. 


"You shouldn't." I smile at those words. A pause fills the room.


    "Why not?" Suho takes a deep breath. I know he's preparing a speech.


"Because you are strong. It's a strength only leaders can possess. You have an aura that gives people confidence. It gave us enough confidence to trust you that night we met. It's giving us confidence now." His words fill my ears. I redden and bury my face in to Rhys's hair. I hear Suho take another breath. What now. I think.


    "Can I tell you something?" I nod getting a little nervous at the way he asks the question. 


"I like you. A lot." A breath escapes my lips.
-------------------
    I walk down the hallway to the living room to check up on So Ra. I also didn't want Suho to say something stupid. I saw the way he looked at her. It made me jealous. Thinking back to the one night I slept next to her, I almost miss the whispered conversation coming from the room.


    "You'll be a good mother one day." I am about to barge in when I hear So Ra reply with a shocking answer.


"I doubt I'll make it that far." My heart aches hearing those words coming from .


    "You really doubt yourself, huh?" 


"Yeah, I guess I do." I think about how she always seems to have a war going on inside her head.


    "What?" So Ra asks.


"You shouldn't." I gulp. Suho was hitting on her in his own nerdy way.


    "Why not?" Suho takes a deep breath. I hear the familiar tone of the breath as he launches in to a speech.


"Because you are strong. It's a strength only leaders can possess. You have an aura that gives people confidence. It gave us enough confidence to trust you that night we met. It's giving us confidence now." My eyes narrow at his words. They were true but I never thought of actually saying them. Suho takes a breath.


    "Can I tell you something?" My heart beats a little faster as I get anxious for the question. 


"I like you. A lot." Tears sting my eyes as I walk in the room with a smile.

--------------------

Sorry for not updating lately. I'm working on a chapter now so please forgive my hiatus.