Preparation

Only The Strongest Survive

"So Ra, how old are you?" Sehun asks. 


"She just turned seventeen. I'm seventeen too." Ji Sun answers his question. Sehun nods.


"You're very young, but also have heart from what you showed back there." Luhan says. I blush and slide away in to a corner where I hope to blend in. That only makes their stares burn in to me.


"What are we going to do? We need to go back to Korea..." Sehun sounds worried.


"You're not going to be able to back now." Ji Sun says. The boys look at her, shocked at what she said.


"This is already pretty bad in America, and this is a big country." She says pointing at the cars that have stopped in the middle of the highway and the bodies that were suppose to be dead but were still moving.


"Imagine how bad it'll be in a small country like Korea." 


"Our families are there!" Baekhyun yells.


"Yes, but you don't need to die with them. It's something like you have to live in their memory." Sun says bluntly.


"Ji Sun!!!" I snap at her.


"What? It's only true, with so many people in such a small place..." She trails off as her eyes grow wide at the dilemma that was growing closer every second.


"Why are you slowing down?" Tao asks. I shoot up and walk to the front of the bus, next to Sun. 


Cars lay everywhere and create a barrier. Shuffling bodies surround it. I look around to find a quick escape. The woods.


"It looks like we are going to have to stop here." I say. Sun turns the engine off.


"Grab food, water, and whatever else you need," I glance back at the boys and realize they are still wearing their stage outfits. "And change in to something more comfortable too." They all get up and grab some clothes from the backpacks they had left on the bus before they went in to the stadium. They all start stripping down. I turn away blushing. The rustling of their clothes are loud in the eerie silence outside. 


A couple minutes later someone taps on my shoulder. I turn around and am a couple inches away from Kyungsoo's face.


"We're done, and we grabbed everything we need." I nod.


"Okay, now what we are going to do is, get out of the bus as quietly as we can," I take a breath. "Then we are going to go to the woods and walk to my house from there."


"Who made you the leader?" Baekhyun asks with venom in his voice.


"She's the only one who know's this place." Kyungsoo snaps back. 


"Well she's injured, so why don't we have Ji Sun lead us?" Baekhyun whines. Sun shakes her head.


"I don't know this place well, I only moved here a few years ago. Stop hating So Ra, she's the only hope you guys have." Baekhyun mutters some profanity under his breath. I grab my purse, which I had left on the couch, and take out my knife.


"Do any of you have some kind of weapon with you? Even a pocket knife would work." They rustle in their bags. Chanyeol pulls out a switch blade. My eyes grow wide and I don't let myself wonder why he has it. Kris and Kyungsoo pull out pocket knives with multiple tools, Chen pulls out some kind of syringe, and Yixing pulls out a razor. My thoughts drift to why they need these things. Whatever, they have them right now which is useful.


"Alright, are you guys ready..?" I ask with a shaking voice. Sun gets out of her seat and grabs my hand. I look at her with terrified eyes. Her's are also filled with fear, but the rest of her pretty face refuses to show it.


"Let's get going then." I take a deep breath and pull the bus lever. It squeaks and I take the stairs down to the ground. Looking around and seeing the coast is clear I wave them out. Sun goes first. I keep walking further in to the woods to make sure the path is safe. A thing is growing to close for comfort and I gesture for them to go behind me. When Chanyeol passes me I take his switch blade and switch it open. I knew how because my brother had taught me. 
The thing is now five feet away from me. I don't take my eyes off of the it. She shuffles close enough to where I can see what had happened to her ravaged body. Her long blond hair is covered in blood and dirt, the business suit she wore was covered in mud, her arm had been torn off and the bones and blood vessels were hanging out of the hole. I gagged but held back my puke. Remembering the moves from my defense class I took a year or two back, I plow myself forward and shove the switch blade in to the things throat. I pull it out and blood flies from the blade on to my face, but she keeps moving towards me. I tackle her and her hand claws at my thigh. It scratches my skin and I give a little shriek of pain. This seems the provoke her more and the nails dig deeper in to the same leg I injured earlier. I grit my teeth and try to make sure that she isn't getting close to my skin with . 


Suddenly an animal instinct of survival takes over and I stab her neck over and over again till the head is lolling around on the neck, only connected by blood vessels. My adrenaline rush had gotten the better of me and I realized this was basically murder. Getting up tears start falling from my eyes as guilt takes over me. I turn around to see Ji Sun staring at me like I'm a total stranger. EXO looks at me as if I'm a wild lion. I stop the sobs that are almost out my mouth and walk towards them. They all take a step back except Ji Sun who takes a step towards me. I limp towards her and put my arm around her shoulder.


"You okay?" She whispers. I nod.


"Let's just get going we have another twenty minutes of walking to do." I whisper back. We take the front of the twelve boys and make as little noise possible while walking back. 


When we get to our street Sun and I both gasp. It was almost completely destroyed. Fires had ravaged the houses and moving corpses shuffled in the ashes. Only one house was left standing and that was Ji Sun's. I removed my arm and let her run to it. She dashed and missed all the shuffling figures that swatted for her. When she got there the door opened and she was let in and waved at us to come forward. Kris sweeps my legs out from underneath me and bridal carries me all the way there while avoiding all the bodies walking towards us.


Getting there he drops me and Ji Sun and her dad help me in to the living room and set me on the couch. 


"So Ra!!" My brother comes running in to the room and hugs me tears streaming down his face.


"I thought you were dead!!!" He yells at me and hits me weakly. I his hair.


"Shhh... It's okay, I'm okay." I tell him softly. I look at the boys who are awkwardly watching the situation. I clear my throat.


"Guys, this is my brother, Jung Hee, Ji Sun's father, Ji Sun's mother..." I trail off scanning the room for who I couldn't find. I gently pry my brother off of me and limp around to the kitchen entrance. 


"Mom? Dad?" I call and limp around even more frantically. 


"Mom? Dad?" I scream. I feel Ji Sun's hand on my shoulder. I turn around to see the grief on her face. 


"Oh my God..." I whisper and walk backwards. Bumping in to the counter I slide down to the floor and put my head in my hands. 


"Please God no..." My eyes are the size of a surprised owl's. I hear footsteps approach me. 


"So Ra, they sacrificed themselves for Jung Hee." Ji Sun's mother's, Bo Yun, voice hits me. It was like a punch in the stomach. Ji Sun comes next to me and starts rubbing my back.


"Now she knows how we feel." Baekhyun says. I jump up and walk over to him. My hand connects with his face before he has time to think of what was about to happen. I push him to the ground and stand above him.


"You have at least some hope that your parents are alive! I know mine aren't! Don't you dare compare my feelings to yours! You aren't worth anymore then the rest of us, so stop thinking like it! You aren't an idol anymore! Do you understand me, Byun Baekhyun?!" Tears have formed in my eyes by this time and they have started falling on his face. He got up and brushed himself off. To my utter shock he wrapped his arms around me.


"I'm sorry, I'm stressed and it just came out. I swear I'm not usually such a ." I hugged him back letting the dam of my tears open up. My sobs fill the houses quiet. Ji Sun came up behind me and hugged me. It was such a moment of comfort that I almost forgot about the epidemic outside. Almost. 


"So Ra, honey, what happened to your leg?" I look down at my leg and see I have left blood trails everywhere I've walked. 


"One of those things clawed me." I say detaching myself from Baekhyun. 


"That would make sense why there is blood all over your outfit too." Woon Ha, Ji Sun's father, says. I look down at the bloody and torn outfit.


"Did you get bit?" Jung Hee asks. I shake my head.


"Are they actually, you know, zombies?" Tao asks.


"The government is denying it, but the news says they are." Bo Yun says.


"Plus they are walking corpses." Chen adds. Kris hits him.


"Shut up, you're scaring the kid." He says and points at Jung Hee who clasps my arm. I pat his head and laugh.


"I forgot to introduce you guys to my, huh, family. This is my brother, Jung Hee." I push him in front of me so the boys can see him. 


"That's Woon Ha, he's Ji Sun's father." I say pointing towards where he was standing leaning against the kitchen door frame.


"And that's Bo Yun, Ji Sun's mom." I say looking at the woman tending to my leg. 


"What happened to your foot?" Yun asks. 


"I stepped on a nail in the parking lot of the concert." She shakes her head.


"You are so clumsy, So Ra." I nod. 


Sun brings me a stool to sit in while the boys all sit on the kitchen floor and watch me. After Yun is done she gets up cleans her hands and goes in to the living room with Woon Ha. Sun goes to join her family.


"Did Sun's sister make it?" I whisper to Jung Hee. He shrugs.


"She's in collage so they don't know. Probably not though." My shoulders slump. I join the boys on the floor to socialize with them a little bit, maybe even become acquainted.


"Hee what did you bring with you from the house?" Hee jumps up and runs to get his stuff.


"So Ra, why don't you and your brother share a generational name?" Chen asks. 


"My mother," a stab of pain hits my heart as I think about her soft red hair."well she was American and my dad was a second generation Korean, so they said 'eff it' and chose different generational names." The seven or so boys who were listening nodded. Jung Hee's broad and tall body, slammed in to a wall as he walked in a minute later with a big duffel bag. He dropped it in front of me, and we all just stared at the bag that was half my brother's size. 
"How exactly did you carry that all the way over here?" Chanyeol asks. 


"Well when you are watching you parents burn for you, it tends to make you want to live even more." Jung Hee snaps. Tears form in my eyes again at the thought of their bodies melting in the fire. Someone, Xiumin I think, smacked Jung Hee's leg. 


"Well what are you waiting for? Look through it all ready!" Baekhyun says with impatience. My hands shake and it's hard to the duffle bag. Luhan takes it pulls it towards himself and s it for me. Pushing it back I give a nod of appreciation. 


Inside the bag the first thing I encountered was a knife, but not just any knife, a machete. My eyebrows knit together.
"I didn't know you had one of these." He quickly moves to explain.


"Dad was going to give it to me for my birthday but..." I tap his thigh to make him stop. Looking at the next item I find a rolled up carrier pouch. Unrolling it I see an arrangement of small throwing knives. I throw those to the side, carefully so not to hit one of the boys. They had come closer to see what was in the bag. I could feel their breath and smell their natural scent. 


Tossing the thoughts away I dig a little deeper in to find my brother's prized possession, a katana. 


"Whoa." EXO stares at it in awe. 


"How did you get your hands on it?" Tao asks. My brother gives a little smirk.


"A lot of yard work through the summer." They all stared wide eyed at him. 


"How much did it cost?" Tao asks. My brother shrugs.


"Doesn't matter now, does it?" The next thing I find I pull out with out a second thought at what the boys might think. Pads. I stare at them for a second then blush.


"Mom said that I should give them to you when I found you." I throw them at his face.


"At least say thank you. Now you don't have to leave a long blood trail wherever you go." He smiles evilly at me. I avoid the boys eyes. Even though it was a natural thing, it was still embarrassing to talk about in front of extremely attractive boys. I pull out a couple more things that include food and a few changes of clothes. When I get to the bottom, or near the bottom I find some weapons that will be mega useful. Bats. There are two metal bats and three wooden ones. I grab on by the handle.


"I didn't even know we had these." I say and look up, my eyes meet Kyungsoo's.


"Alright, I guess you guys get to pick your weapons now." My eyes stay locked in his gaze.


"Wait," Tao says crawling towards the bag,"there's a couple more things." He pulls out a rifle and a hand gun. 


"Well I didn't know we had these." My brother says grabbing the hand gun and the metal with his finger. How had my dad even gotten his hands on these with out us knowing? Well for whatever reason I was thankful for them now. Ji Sun marches in to the room.


"We need to get going, like right now." The boys jolt up while Jung Hee helps me up.


"What's wrong?" Kris asks.


"The population of the dead is growing." I nod and make decisions in my head.


"Okay, we need to grab the food and put it in here," I say. "Also take a weapon and those who don't have one make sure you have a buddy." Kyungsoo dives for the machete. I go for the hand gun, but am stopped when my brother hands me a wooden bat. 


"The guns have limited ammo, and when sounds attract the dead..." He pauses, "Trust me this is just better." I take it with a pondering look. When they all have their weapons I start to gather the food from the cupboards and pantry. Turning around I see Tao playing with the katana while my brother looks at him like he is trusting a complete stranger with his child. Sehun, Chen, Kris, and Kai all have bats. Chanyeol is playing around with the rifle and taped the switch blade to the end. Xiumin and Luhan are pondering over how to split the throwing knives evenly. 


Ji Sun walks in on the mildly violent scene and walks over to me. 


"Who gave the idiots dangerous objects?" I break out in laughter. 


"That would be me." She laughs.


"I'm not to surprised. I see you raided our food." I chuckle.


"Well only the really important stuff that'll last a while." She starts walking away when she suddenly turns around.


"By the way, my dad has some stuff for the boys, clothes and weapons." 


"And you yell at me for giving them weapons." She laughs walking back in to the living room. I clap my hands together to get their attention.


"Woon Ha has stuff for you guys." I stated pointing towards the living room. They shove themselves through the kitchen doorway. I walk to the bathroom and pick out the medicine we might need. Walking back to the kitchen I plop them in to the duffle bag. Zipping it up I drag it to the living room and find that Tao, Suho, Yixing, and Baekhyun have all obtained weapons. Tao a long metal pipe, since Jung Hee was better trained with the katana. Suho had a medium sized axe. Yixing had a hoe. While Baekhyun had a shovel. 


It was obvious they had started running out of weapons. Woon Ha had a gun, considering he was a police officer this wasn't surprising. Bo Yun had a butcher knife. My eyes search for Ji Sun only to see her coming out of the bathroom dressed in her archery stuff, cross bow in hand. I wolf whistle.


"Damn!!!" We laugh as the rest look at us weird.


"Well are we ready?" Woon Ha asks. Most of the boys nod while some gulp in fear. Sun and I look at each other and walk to each other's side. She grabs my hand. Someone comes up behind me. I feel their breath on my neck, their proximity was so close. I turn and see Yixing. He smiles, his dimples show. My heartbeat picks up.


"How are you not scared?" I whisper to him. The dimples deepen.


"Oh, I am, it's just having girls around makes me very protective so I won't show it." I give a soft smile. 


"Well thanks..." He gives a soft grunt as a reply. 


Woon Ha opens the door and steps out.