Sleep Talking

Only The Strongest Survive

Hey guys, I'm back with another chapter. :D thanks for the support so far and please continue ^_^ Enjoy!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

      Which way is this place anyways?” Sehun asks me. I shrug.


“All I know is that it’s north. North means cold. Cold means meat freezes.” 


    It had been two days since we left Ji Sun and her mother and my heart was still throbbing. We had only gotten around twenty miles on the first day until most of them started complaining on how their feet hurt. We stopped at an abandoned house for five hours of rest. It was small and only had a kitchen, living room, bedroom, and an unusable bathroom. We took shifts on who slept. Jung Hee didn’t get a shift and neither did Sehun, although now I wish I had volunteered to take his place. My footsteps are starting to drag when the first conversation in miles happens.


“We haven’t run in to many of those things, have we?” Kris mentions.


    “You’re going to jinx us.” Suho snaps.


“You’re right though, maybe we’re too far away from towns and stuff.” Jung Hee butts in. It was a good assumption, considering we were in the middle of the woods. 


    “Can we take a quick rest? My ankle hurts.” Kai asks. I nod and everybody drops where they are. 


    “Were you all really that tired?” I ask. Baekhyun moans in reply. I slide over to him. We had taken the same shift last time and have grown considerably closer. 


    “What?” He asks covering his eyes. 


“I’m just worried about you that’s all.” His hand moves so he can see me. I turn in to a ball and act like an armadillo in defense mode.


    “Oh really now?” I hear a smile in his voice. There’s a rustle of movement and I feel his body heat. I give a shiver as his hand touches my back. They go farther down my back until he’s right in the center. They go sideways on to my ribs and he starts tickling me. I break out from my defensive position and sprawl on the ground pounding my fist against it. 


    “Stop it!!!” I yell laughing. 


“Well stop worrying about me.” He says and sits on top of me so I won’t be able to move. His hands reach for my neck. 


    “Yixing!!!” I call out as I realize what Baekhyun is about to do. Lay looks over and immediately comes to my rescue. He drags Baekhyun off of me and I sit up wiping the tears of laughter from my face.


    “Guys stop screwing around.” I scowl and turn to Kris.


“We aren’t screwing around, we are having fun. You should come and have fun too.” He crosses his arms and sets up camp for a while. Turning back to Baekhyun and Yixing I ask, “What’s got his in a twist?” They laugh. 


    “He just misses home.” I shrug.


“So do I. So does everyone else.” I gesture around.


    Everyone has their own little groups now. Tao, Jung Hee, and Kai. Xiumin, Luhan, and Kris. Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Chen. Suho, Baekhyun, Yixing, and I had our own group that mostly played around. Suho walks over and sits across from me.


    “I was talking to everyone, they are all amazingly hungry.” He says. I sigh.


“We have only been eating once a day…” My hand goes down to pat my stomach. Getting up I walk to the middle of the groups.


    “Okay so starting today we need to start rationing the food.” I hear Tao’s group give a moan. I shot them a death glare.


    “So that means, about one slice of bread for everyone. You can have two things on it.” I say waving towards the big duffel bag that was now with Chanyeol. Grunting is heard from all around.


    “Shut up. If we run out of food it means we have to find towns. You all know what that means.” An audible shiver runs through our big group. I nod.


    “Alright, this means rationing.” I look up at the darkening sky. “Kris would you mind setting up camp for tonight?” He looks up at the sky. Getting up he starts unpacking blankets from various backpacks. They weren’t the nicest blankets, considering we took them from the old house, but since we didn’t think of bringing any, these were our only option. 


    I walk back to my little group. Sitting down in between Baekhyun and Suho we watch Kris lay a blanket down and then another one over it. He repeated this process three times before standing up straight. He looks for me and walks over to my group.


    “Who’s taking the first watch?” I look for any volunteers among us. Suho raises his hand a little.


    “I had first watch last time I’ll take it again, who’ll watch with me.” We all look around now. My eye targets out Tao’s group. 


    “Jung Hee can join you.” I say. Suho glances at Jung Hee. He nods to himself. I clap my hands to get everyone’s attention.


    “Okay, Suho and Jung Hee take the first shift. Everyone else, let’s get to bed.” The ones who don’t have the shift right away all go towards the make shift beds. 


    “I call being next to Kris!” Tao yelps.


“You’re not my style, I’ll sleep next to So Ra.” He winks in my direction. I blush.


    “Um, no.” Lay grabs my arm and leans on my shoulder.


“Alright guys I’m not a toy. I’m just going to lay down and who ever gets there stays there, okay?” I say a jump in to the middle of blankets. Baekhyun and Chanyeol land on my right side and are now struggling over the spot, while Luhan and Sehun are playfully debating who should be next to me. I snort wondering why they want to be next to me so bad. Maybe because I’m the only female. My heart aches as I remember Ji Sun. Tears are blurring my vision.


    “So Ra?” Chanyeol pats my back. “Are you okay?” I wipe the tears quickly and give a little sniff. 


    “Yeah… Yeah I was just thinking about a sad movie.” He smirks and says, “Yeah sure.” Under his breath. 


    Once the fighting for place is done I am sleeping next to Sehun and Baekhyun. Baekhyun is snuggled almost uncomfortably close to me. Sehun’s hand is resting on my out stretched arm. Soft snoring fills the air. Over that is a barely audible pacing sound coming from the two guards. Baekhyun slides closer, his mouth next to my ear.


    “So Ra, what did you want to be when you got out of high school?” My eyes flew open then fluttered closed.


    “It may sound dumb but I’ve never thought about it.” I whisper with a smile. 


“I was just planning to move through life having the most fun I could. That can’t really happen now can it?” I softly chuckle and feel tears on my cheeks. I open my eyes and face Baekhyun. He looks at me with big sad eyes.


    “That doesn’t sound like a fun life to me…” 


“I just never think about it. I guess the future scares me, especially right now.” Out of no where he grabs my left hand which is rested on my hip.


    “You sound so lonely.” I shrug at his comment. My palm is getting sweaty and I try to tug it away but his grip on it is strong.


    “Can you let go of my hand?” He shakes his head.


“Go to sleep, I’m gonna hold it so you won’t be lonely.” I blush a little but close my eyes. Before I go to sleep I hear a bit of a conversation between Chanyeol and Baekhyun.


    “She sounds so sad…” Chanyeol’s deep voice is like a melody when you hear it whisper.


“You can’t forget Ji Sun did leave her, her parents are gone, her brother is very young, and she has to take care of us.” He pauses and he lets go of my hands to turn to Chanyeol. “We should help her in whatever way we can. She is trying hard and I’m surprised she hasn’t done something to… Hurt herself yet.” My barely conscious mind slowly processes his words and I try to respond but only manage a slight groan.


    “Are you sure she’s asleep?” Chanyeol asks.


“Even if she isn’t, she won’t remember it when we wake up.” Baekhyun replies. 


    “We can’t live like this for long though… Not knowing how are families are, or our friends.” I hear Chanyeol stifle a sob.


    “We have to assume the worst. That way it’ll be better if they are alive.” 


“You have changed, and it’s only been three days.” They both give shaky laughs.


    “We’ll all change in time. Maybe not for the better, maybe for the better. Who knows?” This was an obvious conversation ender. Just as Baekhyun was turning away Chanyeol asked something that shocked me and Baekhyun too.


    “Since there’s twelve of us and only one girl, who gets her?” I hear the smile in Baekhyun’s voice.


“Whoever isn’t dead.”


    He turns around completely and instead of holding hands he wraps his arms around me in a hug. I try to move but my body is paralyzed. Thinking it’s useless I relax and inhale the smell of his sweat and natural smell and fall asleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I wake up to the scent of fresh grass. Stretching with out opening up my eyes I feel an aching pain in my back. Completing my stretching I open my eyes. The blankets were all stolen away from me by the other members. I noticed that my back was aching from a tree root that was conveniently placed under where I had been sleeping.


    “Look who’s awake.” Chanyeol points to me with a piece of bread covered in some kind spread. I scratch the back of my head. 


    “You fart a lot when you’re asleep, you know that?” I throw a rock at Sehun. It hits his arm. He rubs it with a grimace.


    “Ow! Don’t throw rocks it’s dangerous!” I roll my eyes and get up. 


“We all took shifts except for you and Baekhyun.” Suho says. I nod and walk to Kris who is handling the food. 


    “What do you want on your bread?” I shrug not caring at all. He slaps some mayo and some warm ham on it that we had been carrying in a cooler.


    “Enjoy the mayo.” I say smirking and grab the bread from his hand. He raises an eyebrow but doesn’t question it. Plopping down next to Jung Hee I ruffle his hair.


    “How was your shift last night?” His eyes widen at my question.


“I ran in to a thing. Suho took it out for me.” I look to Suho, who is talking to Xiumin. He looks at me and smiles. I give a smile back and mouth ‘thank you’. It seems he gets the message and gives a thumbs up as if saying ‘no problem’. 


    “You thanked him for it right?” Jung Hee bobs his head.


“Yeah, he didn’t look to happy with me though.” What does that mean? I raise my eyebrows.


    “His eyes seemed to burn in to the depths of my soul.” What? 


    “I’ve never seen him like that before though.” I say with a tad of disbelief.


“It went away after a second, but it was defiantly there.”


    After I was done with my bread I went over to Suho. He looks up at me and gestures for me to sit down. I listen to him and Xiumin talk for a while before bringing up what I came over for.
    “So the thing last night means we need to get going soon, huh?” I say. He turns away from Xiumin and looks at me. Umin peaks past Suho’s shoulder. Their eyes bore in to my skull.
    “Yeah. Question is, where are we? I know we have to go north, but how much north?” His questions are what was on my mind, but he got to them first.


    “I really don’t know. I think we should find a town. Go to a store, get a map and supplies.” Their eyes widen. 


    “Maybe leave a group here, and then send a group out to get the stuff.” Xiumin suggests. I pucker my lips at the thought of splitting up. It was the only logical choice though, unless we all wanted to go. Which I highly doubted all of us would agree.


    “Who would be in the groups?” I snort at the question.


“Exo-k and Exo-m. Jung Hee and I would split in to the groups.” They both nod in agreement. 


    “Let’s get this done with.” We all laugh at Chen’s comment and get ready for our outing.