Scavenging

Only The Strongest Survive

A/N-This chapter is a little more gory then the other ones. I just thought I'd give a fair warning. So I guess it's M.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 5- Scavenging
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Bring the boys out..." I quote Girl's Generation as I walk in front of EXO-K. 


    "So Ra, did you say something?" Suho asks in a hushed tone. His lips were so close to my ear I could feel his breath. I gave an involuntary shiver and shake my head. 


    "No, just talking to myself." He nods and moves away from me. I clutch my bat close to me as I see a thing walking in our direction. I side step to make sure we are clear out of its way. The boys follow my movement. A foul scent enters my nose as we grow closer to the city. Exiting the cover of the woods we see what it is.


    Our camp was only five miles from San Francisco. The stench was coming from the walking decomposing bodies and cars that had crashed in to the road guard that were now leaking oil and gas. I breath through my mouth so not to smell anything anymore. The early morning skies were tinged as red as blood that covered the streets. The only noises that could be heard were and screaming from the nearby city.


    We reached the entrance to the town and I kept my eyes unfocused to tune out the gore around me. I hear someone, Sehun, puking at the disgusting scene. I wait for the noises to stop and walk back to him. Vomit is on the corner of his lips. I take a torn piece of my skirt and rip it off. Wiping off the puke I hand him my water bottle. He takes a quick swig, gives it back and we are off again. 


    Zombies are more abundant here. Taking ever step with caution we reach a gas station. It looked raided already but I waved them forward anyways to see if we could scrap anything up. 


    "It's already as bad as in the movies, and it's only been a day." Chanyeol is the first one of us to talk. I look around at the half empty shelves. 


    "Grab what you can. That includes medicine, band aids, and if you can find it, cough syrup." I get complaints almost right away.


    "So Ra you forget English isn't our first language." Suho says. Crap. 


"Well whatever looks like medical stuff and food." 


    "What are these?" Chanyeol waves a box of condoms in the air from behind the counter. Baekhyun grabs them from his hands and reads what it says.


    "Con-doms, uli-ti-mate- Hey!" He softly yells as I grab the box from his hands. 


"That is not useful to us right now." I say, feeling a slight blush creep to my cheeks. They give me puzzled looks.


    "What are they?" I feel the box get snatched from behind me. I turn to face Kai. Goddammit. He reads it in his head and opens the box. Crap. Pulling one out he gives a slight smile. I turn away to go look for food. 


    "Hey~ Why didn't you want us touching them, So Ra? They are for us." I hear a teasing note in Baekhyun's voice. He touches my shoulder and I spin to face him, my face red. He laughs at the sight. I glare and go back to my search. After we are done stripping the place for remaining food, Suho comes next to me. 


    "Sorry about Baekhyun's behavior there." I give him a smile. Baekhyun and Chanyeol come behind him. I glare at the two who caused me to show more weakness then possible. I stomp out of the gas station. That was not a good choice. The undead heard my steps from a mile away.


    "Damn." I hear all of EXO-K whisper. I almost laugh at the sync, but remember the situation. Gripping my bat I go straight for the first corpse, who was coming for me at a running pace. It claws for me I dodge it and swing my bat full force at its ribs. I hear cracking and a sickness over fills me. They can't feel it now, So Ra. I tell myself. They can't. They're dead. Like Mom and Dad. My thoughts cloud as I hit the thing in the head. Blood and brains cover my face. It was warm and sticky. I tasted some on my lips. Salty and rotten. 


    "So Ra, duck!" I hear Kai yell behind me and I do as quickly humanly possible. Wood against cracking bone is heard and I feel another round of insides hit me. I look up. Kai is holding his hand out for me to get up. I grab it.


    "Thanks, but now it's your turn to duck!" I scream and swing my bat at a things neck. It still moved towards Kai's arm. A machete sticks itself through the head of the corpse. The thing falls side ways and Kyungsoo is revealed. I see Kai's face light up as he sees his hero. 


    "Thank you." Kyungsoo smiles at both me and Kai. I turn around and see every member has turned in to some kind of apocalyptic hero you see in movies and read of in books. Suho's axe cuts through an arm, then a neck. Chanyeol is stabbing mercilessly at a animated body with his rifle-knife weapon. Sehun is, somehow, looking amazingly cute while swinging his bat in every direction, only making contact a couple times. Baekhyun was slapping things with the shovel. 


    "I think we over stayed our welcome." Chanyeol says after crumpling a zombie's legs.


"Agreed." I say dodging a corpses jaws. 


    "Then shall we go?" Suho says with a bright smile as he turns towards us. I look at Kai and Kyungsoo. We nod and run past Suho with our bags bobbing on our backs. 


    "Hey!" The rest yell behind us. We shush them but then realize that's bringing even more of the dead near us. I can hear their footsteps close behind us. Looking back I see they dead and the rest of EXO-K are running behind me. 


    "Tell your friends to leave, guys!" I yell at Baekhyun and Chanyeol. They look shocked at how I could be joking at such a time. 


    "What the hell? I thought they were your friends!" Baekhyun yells back. I shake my head.


"Nope. Well what are we gonna tell the others?" 


    "Shut up and run faster guys!" Chanyeol yells panicked and sprints past Kai, Soo, and I. I laugh and try to keep up with Chanyeol.     


    After a mile or two we reach the entrance to the woods. We had stopped trying to talk to each other after the first half a mile. Winded we stopped and looked behind us. Not many, for now. 


    "We need to keep going." I say dragging a foot in to the woods. I feel sweat trickling down my face. Man, I'm really out of shape. I think to myself as I put one foot in front of the other. A arm slings around my shoulder. Turning around I'm face to face with Kai. 


    "You want something?" I ask bluntly. He smirks.


"Just the pleasure of your company." I scoff and turn away to keep walking. One more arm is added to my other shoulder when Baekhyun comes next to me.


    "Something you want?" I ask with a hint of hostility. 


"Just the pleasure of your company." He says pinching my cheek. I slap his hand, which earns a laugh from the group. 


    The journey back is plain. With no conversation only the slight tightening of both Kai's and Baekhyun's arms around me. We reach the camp and look at the group we left. The shock hit us at the same time.


~~~~~~~~~~~~


    My eyes trail after my sister. I didn't really trust any of the boys, especially the ones she was with. That Chanyeol was just so damn weird. Baekhyun was a smartass. Suho was ok. He had save So Ra and I. Sehun, well I haven't had much experience with him. Kai seemed a little sensual sometimes. Kyungsoo was just quiet, but not the easy going kind, the kind where if you pushed him far enough he would shred you. Leaving my big sister in the care of them defiantly scares me.


    Looking at the boys she left me with was almost worse. Tao seemed really touchy feely. Kris was menacing and tall. Luhan was to innocent, him and Xiumin. Lay was a wondering soul and was one of the boys I really didn't mind. Chen had already tricked Tao in to thinking a certain kind of sap was some kind of food he had dropped. Tao had eaten and almost cried at Chen's prank. These guys were the more serious kind of scary. 


    "Hey, Jung Hee how old are you?" Xiumin skips next to me. I look up at the man who seemed fifteen. 


    "Older then you." The group gives a laugh. My eyes go to Kris.


"No one is older then Umin hyung." Luhan says wiping fake tears from his eyes. Kris notices my gaze and tries to explain.


    "He may look young, but he is the oldest at twenty-four. American years anyways." My jaw drops open. He looked so young though. Like a teenager. 


    "So, my question." He reminds me. I close my jaw.


"Thirteen." They look at me.    It's like this for more then two minutes.


    "What?" They all blink in sync. My mind is blown. Poof. Gone. They are so weird.


"Thirteen is an unlucky number." Tao speaks. "Therefore you are an unlucky person." I freon at his rudeness. Then remember my parents pushing me out of my burning house. Tears form in my eyes and I look down to the ground. Silence fills the air. My chest tightens as I keep thinking of the fire. The roof collapsing on top of my parents. My screams. The screams of others as their houses caught on fire. The moans of the dead. My sobs fill the air now.


    "Nice going Tao." I hear Kris mutter. He scoots towards me a rubs my back.


"You aren't unlucky." He says with a calming voice. My breathing starts to come in quick pants. 


    "Then why did my parents die to save me?" 


"Exactly what it sounds like, to save you." He says. I start shaking.


    "Why me? Why is all this happening to me and So Ra?!" I almost scream in the air. Another boy moves closer to me. 


    "Shhh. We'll make it through this together. You, me, So Ra, and the rest of EXO." The voice belonged to Lay. He sits next to me. I dive in to his chest hugging him for dear life. We sit like this for around ten minutes before I detach myself from him. His eyes are filled with an overwhelming warmth. Like that of a father's.


    "Sorry, I didn't mean to break down like that." Lay shakes his head.


"We all will one time or another. Just be there to comfort us too, ok?" He asks. I nod to acknowledge the promise I had just made. 


    "Guys, I have an idea!" Luhan jumps around at his thought. We look at him in bewilderment.


    "What is it, Luhan?" Kris asks with mildly curiosity. 


"Let's build a fort and surprise them when the come back!" He squeals with excitement. Tao jumps up next to him.


    "That's a great idea." His smile radiates happiness. 


We proceed to build the fort. It ends up looking more like a tent then a fort, but since all seven of us could fit in it we decided to keep it up. We all talked about what our likes and dislikes were. When food came up I saw a drop of drool leak out of the corner of Tao's mouth. I laugh a little to myself. The boys turn out to be ok, almost bubbly. I see why So Ra liked them. Stepping out of the tent we looked at our master piece.
    "What did you do with our blankets?" I hear a familiar voice behind me. I turn and see So Ra. She was sweaty and red faced, same with the boys. My gaze passed over them at first but when I saw them I zeroed in. My glare made Baekhyun and Kai move their arms off of my sister. They shuffled away casually. I kept my eyes on Baekhyun, though.


    "We built a fort, Noona." I say with a big smile. She tries to give a smile back but fails.


"Pack up. 'Fraid we brought guests back. They aren't to far behind." She throws her thumb backwards. We all look behind her and see the corpses searching for the noise makers. A strike of fear rips through me. Suddenly a big hand cups my shoulder. I yelp but look and find Kris's protective eyes. 


    "Come on. Let's get going." I give him a wide grin and he gives a slight smile back.