Chapter 18

It's a Secret (Dropped)

--

“What do you want?”

 

Mr. Kim stands up from his chair and walk to the window behind him.

 

“That was supposed to be my question, don’t you think?”

 

Taeng gritted his teeth.

 

“You sent Stephan out. That means you need something from me. Am I correct?”

 

Mr. Kim smirked.

 

“How clever. Just like your mother.”

 

“Cut the crap. Just tell me what you want.”

 

Mr. Kim turns his head and stares at his Son.

 

“Well for the beginning, I know why you are here with Stephan.”

 

Taeng gulped. Mr. Kim took a cigarette and lights it up.

 

“It’s because of that Kwon isn’t it?”

 

Taeng gasped.

 

“H-How did you know?”

 

He blew up his cigarette and smile.

 

“Being a business partner with him for almost 15 years, I know him more than I know my own son.”

 

Taeng gritted his teeth.

 

“He… Must be want you to date his daughter am I correct?”

 

Taeng is shocked but reluctantly nodded his head.

 

“And he was putting you on the situation that you, yourself, think that it was absurd. But you still obey him anyway”

 

Taeng nodded again.

 

“Very well. And he’s using Stephan?”

 

Taeng stares at his father and nodded again.

 

“Well, he was right. Both of you are twins.”

 

Taeng froze and lowered his head. It’s true...

 

“But.”

 

Taeng looked up at his father.

 

“That doesn’t mean we don’t love you both.”

 

Taeng glared at his father.

 

“Love? You called this love?! You separated me from my own brother, my twins! You were absent on my wedding, you called that love?!”

 

Mr. Kim looked at Taeng calmly.

 

“Are you done?”

 

Taeng breathed heavily and sit down.

 

“Good.”

 

Mr. Kim stands up again and sat on his desk, facing Taeng.

 

“We have our own reason for doing that. First, why I brought you here and not Stephan, because me and your mother only want one kid with our schedules and business meeting. But that doesn’t mean we abandoned Stephan. We trust our best friend, Mr. and Mrs. Hwang, to take care of him. Why did we choose you? Because when we saw you for the first time, we already fall in love with you. Stephan was a cute kid, I can asure you that, but he looks too nerdy when he was a little, he really matched with The Hwangs.”

 

Taeng and Mr. Kim chuckled before he continues.

 

 “And about your wedding? We were dying to go there. Believe me son, your mother was really excited to see and get closer with her daughter-in-law. But we can’t.”

 

Taeng glare at him.

 

“Why? Even Mr. Kwon was there.”

 

Mr. Kim sighed.

 

“That’s the problem. Before I’m telling you the reason, I think it’s the best for you to know everything.”

 

Mr. Kim takes a deep breath.

 

“First of all, me and your mother were forced to do this marriage.”

 

Taeng gasped. Mr. Kim nodded.

 

“Yeah. We used to be best friend. But because of the stupid agreement made by your grandfathers, we were forced to be married.”

 

“So that’s why…”

 

Mr. Kim nodded.

 

“That’s why we don’t… No, we can’t have a baby together. It will make it more awkward between us.”

 

“But you guys looked like a real couple in front of everyone!”

 

“That was an act, Taeng. We need to do that to cover our real relationship.”

 

“Your real what?”

 

Mr. Kim sighed.

 

“Here’s the problem. Before our fathers announce our marriage, I already engaged with my only woman, Im Jin Ah.”

 

Taeng’s eyes widened.

 

“Wait. Isn’t that…?”

 

“Yes. When our engagement announced, Im Jin Ah was forced to married Kwon Seunggi. Call me selfish, but I don’t want any other man to be her first. So I…”

 

“So you…”

 

“Uhm… Yeah…”

 

“Hmm… Well… I don’t know why but this is so awkward. Can you just continue your stories?”

 

“… Right. So, as I was saying, I become her first. And… She’s pregnant.”

 

“Wait a second!”

 

Mr. Kim sighed.

 

“You were right again.”

 

Taeng furrowed his brows.

 

“What? But I didn’t say anything yet.”

 

“But I know it already. And yes. Kwon Yuri is my daughter with Im Jin Ah.”

 

Taeng's eyes went big.

 

"Wow.. This is shocking.. and awkward. What I was going to say that... Nevermind."

 

Taeng massage his temple.

 

“Why is our family’s romance is so complicated?”

 

Mr. Kim smile sadly.

 

“I know right…”

 

“But what about mom? Is she okay with your relationship?”

 

Mr. Kim nodded.

 

“Well.. She already has someone she loved dearly.”

 

“Who?”

 

“I… Think you need to hear from your mother.”

 

“Okay… So... You guys.. For you guys.. All of this was a setup?”

 

Taeng speak with a hint of sadness. Mr. Kim furiously shake his head and went over to his son.

 

“No son, no. We agree that no matter what happen, no matter with who we’re committed, we will always love you like our own. You’re the one who makes our beautiful friendship grew stronger. It’s all because of you.”

 

Taeng smile softly and frowned after that.

 

“But if you guys really love me, why you didn’t come to my wedding? Why did you despise my relationship with Sooyeon so much?”

 

Mr. Kim sighed.

 

“I know we hurt your feeling, and I’m so sorry for what we’ve done. It’s just that, there’s something that I didn’t tell you.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“When you were 10, The Kwons come over to our house. You saw Yuri for the first time and asked her to play with you. At that time. I’m so happy that both my children getting along really well. Unfortunately, me and Kwon have a different ideas…”

 

“Don’t tell me…”

 

“Yes. He want you and Yuri to be married. At that time, I really wanted to reject his offer. But I couldn't find any reasons. I couldn't tell him that Yuri is my daughter with his late wife. So with a heavy heart, I agreed. He always told me that Yuri talked a lot about you. Yuri liked you a lot. And when I know that you have a girlfriend, I was so happy, yet so worried. So me and your mother decided to not telling you about the marriage. I really despised your relationship with Sooyeon because I need to act in front of him. And Kwon is not someone who easily gives up. He will make you and Yuri married no matter what happen. I don’t know his purpose though. But I let him be because I thought that he will stop once you get married. But I guess I was wrong. I'm so sorry son...”

 

Taeng keep silent. A single tear threatened to fall. He doesn’t know that his parent was actually trying to protect him. And finally his tear falls. He wiped his tears but more falls.

 

“Hey son, what’s wrong?”

 

Said Mr. Kim panicked. He wiped his son’s tears with his bare hand.

 

“I... I just… I don’t know what you've been through and yet I always feels angry and holding a grudge with both of you because I thought that you really hate me and don’t love me. Oh my gosh… I’m so sorry dad…”

 

Mr. Kim just hugs his son tightly and his head.

 

“It’s okay son. We know that you’ll hate us and we don’t mind that. Shh… Stop crying okay? You’re going to be a dad soon right? Stop crying okay?”

 

Taeng release himself from his father embrace and wiped his tears.

 

“You knew? That Sooyeon is pregnant?”

 

Mr. Kim smile widely.

 

“Of course! Your mom is dying to meet her grandchild.”

 

“Um… Grandchilds to be exact.”

 

“You’re having twins?”

 

Taeng nodded shyly.

 

“We should celebrate it! You have to bring Sooyeon here this weekend to have a dinner with us! We need to catch up with everything! Don’t you think?”

 

Taeng nodded and smile. Mr. Kim compose himself and back to the serious mode.

 

“So, back to the problem. What did he do to you?”

 

“Mr. Kwon…”

 

Suddenly the doors opened with paled-looking Stephan with his phone on his hand.

 

“Taeng! I just got called by Yoong..”

 

Taeng nodded to let him continue. Stephan took a deep breath.

 

“Sooyeon’s missing.”

 

--